Norand Mono (Analog Bass Synth with Sequencer)

The other great thing about this is the undo function. I wish more other synths had this option.

2 Likes

1024 levels of undo :joy:

1 Like

Thatā€™s a tough choice, as they are quite different. The A4 has greater scope, and does so many things well, but is not as immediately jammable. If I were forced to give one up, it would probably be the Mono, but I wouldnā€™t be happy about it.

Iā€™ve had both. I like the Mono better because itā€™s more focused. It does one thing really well. And nothing else does that thing.

1 Like

I think the Mono is a great synth. I picked one up last summer, and I am still really digging it. I like the sound it has, and am glad itā€™s not just another 303 clone. The sequencer is fun and itā€™s great to jam on. I donā€™t use it much as a drum machine, as I have seen others do that in some videos, but as a bass synth it can get pretty percussive which is cool.

Anyways, I have been clearing some things out of the studio recently, but this one is definitely sticking around for a while.

1 Like

Yeah the jamming element of the mono is the winning point

With A4 you can go beyond

1 Like

Please guys, post your demos here as I can decide if I pull the trigger. Iā€™m not after super weird sounds, but deep and fat bass lines. The Vermona Mono Lancet has great analog bass sounds and is way cheaper, but no sequencer of course, I wish I could A/B them.

To be honest, I donā€™t know if I could make an impressive bass demo with the Mono, though that could just be my inexperience. The ā€œbassā€ in the title of this topic may be misleading; it isnā€™t emphasized on Norandā€™s web page. Just out of the gate, the DB-01 (which does emphasize ā€œBasslineā€ in its full name) has a better bass sound, though the Mono does fine. But with both of these, the point is not so much the core sound as the feature set and the playability (real-time tweaking). If core bass sound is your primary concern, the Vermona might be better (provided you have an acceptable way to sequence it).

4 Likes

Iā€™ve barely used mine for bass at all. I tend to use it for more melodic elements. Sometimes shorter, percussive sounds, sometimes longer, whistling leads.

2 Likes

It can do excellent basslines, but itā€™s certainly flexible to allow for more.

If all youā€™re looking for deep and fat bass lines and only that as a larger sweet spot, maybe find something more like a Minitaur?

Yeah, not every bassline has to be brain scrambling sub-bass that sets speakers on fire.

One could also just add in a sine, I suppose.

1 Like

In fact Iā€™m really interested by the sequencer and random abilities of the Norand (which obviously a Lancet wonā€™t have). I already have an AS-1 which sequencer is a pain to use. I love the Pure Acid sequencer on iOS. In fact Iā€™d dream a bassline generator like this in a HW format.

1 Like

The thing is the Mono invites you to so much more than just bass

1 Like

yea for bread & butter bass thereā€™s probably better synths. that sequencer is so damn good tho. I agree with the sentiment the mono shines with modulated, syncopated, more experimental percussion / melodic lines.

2 Likes

Hey Mononaughts, can anyone tell me how to completely erase a pattern? I know that holding down DELETE + A or B deletes the notes. But how do you delete all the modulation?

1 Like

DELETE + RECORD sets the patch back to the default patch. This, I think, at least has the X-Mod and X-Env amounts set to zero. I donā€™t know of a way to say ā€œset everything back to the position of the knobsā€.

3 Likes

Thanks @plragde, thatā€™s what I was looking for.

2 Likes

This is what I think every time I see one of the recurring ā€œWhatā€™s the most monster-mega-roomshaking bass synth?ā€ threads. Is that really what most people need? Unless youā€™re doing dub music, my guess is that at the end of the day youā€™ll have to tame that sub in the mix anyway.

For me, interesting sound design/timbres/patterns trump crazy sub when it comes to bass parts, at least in the genre Iā€™m primarily working in (electro), especially as there are often tuned kicks with long decay competing in that frequency space.

1 Like

:rofl:

I started out as an electric bass player and one of the things you learn early on is to cut lows and boost mids and low mids.

But with synths boosting the low lows is so much fun.

2 Likes

I agree that for the deepest bass, the Minitaur fits the bill. But hey, youā€™re still gonna need a Norand Mono to sequence it. :grin:

1 Like

In case you missed it, thereā€™s a super handy cheat sheet now. (I only came across this recently)

3 Likes