Norand Mono (Analog Bass Synth with Sequencer)

very nice requests :wink:

2 Likes

I used to view mono as a sorta 303 / 101 with extra modulation.

now I view it more like a desktop Basimilus Iteritas Alter (with 20 lfoā€™s, 13 envelopes, sequencer, quantizer, random, patch storage etc etc).

that it can go both ways is pretty epic.

[obviously itā€™s not exactly like BIA but thereā€™s a bang of it off it]

3 Likes

Yeah, not sure at all they will implement any of the above-mentioned features, though

But, indeed, it would be great to use the extensive modulations possibilities of the Mono on external gear!

yea would love that

Yes! The creative applications are great and I love their enthusiasm.

The main problem is of course keeping states in my head at any point with a very minimal UI :wink:

Cool! Itā€™s nice that for all their ideas they can clarify why some either are impossible, donā€™t fit into their approach, or wouldnā€™t make sense for whatever reason.

1 Like

how good is the Norand for deep bass? How behaves the filter when turning up the resonance? Does the bass drop?

Iā€™ve had a similar feeling but I guess Iā€™d put a different way - I do think it sounds really good, but itā€™s a well-behaved/easy to mix/useable sort of really good rather than a wild/raw/exciting really good.

What Iā€™ve heard reminds me a lot of the Bass Station II in that sense, the BSII can get pretty wild on paper but in practice I always found that it sounded somehow controlled and restrained even when pushed to extremes that shouldā€™ve sounded super nasty. Itā€™s not about capabilities, more something about the underlying tone that was always there. Like it had a slight compression on everything. In that sense there was a definite BSII ā€˜characterā€™ because it somehow always sounded like a BSIIā€¦ But at the same time I understand what people mean when they say it lacks character.

I do keep checking videos on this though purely because the sequencing capabilities look like so much fun. Some of the FM in that Oscillator Sink video is the most tempting stuff Iā€™ve heard so far.

1 Like

I quite agree regarding the demos. I find them all a bit techno-y meh. Thereā€™s yet someone to make a video showcasing this synth for more ā€œexperimentalā€ stuff (for what it means), because it really lends itself to that purpose in my opinion.

I never owned a BSII, but what I can tell is that the Mono does have its character, and I would definitely not call it polite.

3 Likes

For what itā€™s worth, this is the most fun Iā€™ve had with a synth for a good while from a performance standpoint - itā€™s up there with my Digis for making me want to jam with it.

It also really invites you to push it to make it do more stuff. After my recent video about using it as a drum machine, it got me to thinking whether I could do a whole set with just the Mono and a couple of pedalsā€¦from some experiments over the last few days I think that could be a lot of fun.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s my approach as well. I paired it with a 1010music BlackBox used as a looper (which itā€™s very good at) and 2 Eventide pedals.

(Love your videos, by the way)

2 Likes

Iā€™m not totally clear on what the step dice function does. Iā€™ve tried it a few times and nothing seems to be happening.

it moves the selected steps around.

u gotta select the start & end point in the sequence - 4 button combo.

2 Likes

I just stuck it thru typhon. sequencing typhon too. can confirm - sounds amazin :+1:

2 Likes

would love to see that one :slight_smile:

totally get you on how fun it is for jamming. Mono & a digitakt, i could go for days.

3 Likes

Thank you! Makes sense why I couldnā€™t tell- I was doing it on notes of the same pitch!

3 Likes

Iā€™m havin a bit of trouble designing modnote sounds. I wanna start from a bunch of random modnotes n edit them all from there to make interesting techno loops but Iā€™m finding it really hard to edit the random creations.
canā€™t find what modulation is causing the bits of the sound Iā€™m trynna change.

like, say thereā€™s a tail on the random sound, I take in decay / sus / rel n nothing happens. then try to delete any xmod / xenv on all those parameters n it still goin mental :rofl:

any tips on how to approach making usable random mod notes?

would be most welcome :heart:

Hm, Iā€™d say, donā€™t start from random-generated Mod Notes, because there are so many LFOā€™d parameters that it is indeed quite difficult to find out what causes what.

E.g. LFOā€™s on the amp envelope, like you mention, but the issue could come from anywhere, really.

I havenā€™t found the randomized patches to be very interesting, personally. But I might be narrow-minded :smiley:

Iā€™m quite sorry that in the latest firmware they removed visual feedback of modulation on knobs for Mod Notes. But they told me they would put it back in the next firmware.

Edit: If I understood them right, they are going to make it possible to lock knob visual feedback on a Mod Note (or the main patch), so that the display stops blinking like crazy during playback.

3 Likes

nice one :slight_smile:

yea i find em unusable I must say, would be cool if you could specify the range for random mod notes so you could choose to have em not too mental.

instead ive been real-time recording parameter changes on synth lines this eve n results are much better for interesting loops.

Iā€™ll mess with mod notes from scratch tomorrow.

2 Likes

Quite enjoying:

1. The sweet spot in the FM around 1:00 on the knob (but really it all sounds quite good, just that this is a place I can park for a bit while I figure out what to do next);
  2. The ability to easily dial in new frequencies for osc 1/2 because the knob is quantized;
  3. The pattern randomization to a scale, which I think has some algorithm behind it, because even with chromatic it sounds way better than if the added notes were entirely random (I think). If I had the patience I would do some sampling experiments.
4 Likes

I have been undecided between the norand and the A4 for some time