Norand Mono (Analog Bass Synth with Sequencer)

Weird, I think it sounds fantastic

4 Likes

I just bought another one :grin:

680 European beans Inc delivery, not a bad price.

that sequencer is just too good

:partying_face:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve found that itā€™s full of happy accidents. It can sound pretty sweet, but lots of demos seem to be on the more aggressive side.

1 Like

anyone used it to sequence other mono synths?

gonna try the typhon with the mono sequencer when it arrives, see what happens.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had thoughts about sequencing and running it through my Sirin, but I havenā€™t tried yet.

1 Like

I havenā€™t tried other synths, but Iā€™ve tried to hook-up my BlueBox to it in MIDI, in the hope that the modulation madness going on could be used to automate filter parameters, reverb, etc.

Unfortunately this doesnā€™t work. Turning a know physically is transferred, but the X-Mod and X-Env are not sent via MIDI. They might be via CV, though. Has anybody tried that?

1 Like

But also itā€™s a small operation so each e-mail takes time from coding that next firmwareā€¦ :wink:

The raw sound is good to me, where it gets REALLY good is how I can recreate complex sounds I used to require modular to accomplish, with more modulation than Iā€™d ever use on most patches.

Maybe the sweet spot requires more intentionality to create, Iā€™d say the flexibility is the value-add. I donā€™t use all of the new conventions just yet but the approach is great and Iā€™m excited to see the new features (and more conventional) mature.

2 Likes

haha yea whatever you do DONā€™T email him :joy:

1 Like

Iā€™ve used it to sequence eurorack and it worked out nicely

2 Likes

The online demos (and the factory patterns) are underwhelming, except for Red Means Recordingā€™s no-talk live set, and the Oscillator Sink videos (the Loopop review is a good overview of functionality, though). After all of two daysā€™ of experience [big caveat], let me address this, leaving out entirely the X-Mod and X-Env sections (which are huge).

My nearest point of comparison is the DB-01, the A4 being further away. The DB-01ā€™s oscillator in saw or square mode and the filter are more immediately accessible. But itā€™s a single oscillator (with attached sub, which is great), with detune achieved with a delay. The Mono has two oscillators, each of which move smoothly among near-sine, triangle, square, and saw, with separate detunes, a mixer that saturates. It has a good filter, not as characteristic as the DB-01, but distinctive, and a smooth morph between BP, LP, HP, as opposed to the DB-01ā€™s switch giving BP/LP. It has a proper ADSR envelope (though it reverts to AD at fast rates, which is still better than the DB-01 that really only has a small amount of D control). Like the DB-01, it benefits from a touch (not too much) of analog-style delay or spring-style reverb.

Tonight I jammed on the Mono, with a minimal beat from the TR-6S, and a touch of FX as described above. I didnā€™t use the X sections, or FM (except briefly, just to see what it did). Being able to vary waveforms and their mix, apply negative filter envelope amount, and tweak attack helped a lot. On the sequencer, I used only incremental pattern randomization and undo/redo. I was quite happy with the result, and when you add the ability (which I didnā€™t exercise tonight) to put a separate envelope and/or (possibly audio-rate) oscillator on each knob, not to mention all the other sequencer features, it really starts to shine.

So: basic sound decent, very quickly moves into very good territory, and I donā€™t quite know what the top tier is yet.

4 Likes

8s/Mono (with OT serving as mixer/looper) is currently my favourite setup. Really fun and easy to get a groove going from scratch.

2 Likes

Seems like an arrangement that really gels! Wild synth sounds and percussion with performance options to get even odder, a solid drum machine, and the OT offers some fx and glitch-ifying in realtime.

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™m quite happy with it, though I havenā€™t had much time to play recently.

I only just twigged you can randomise mod notes, thatā€™s nuts. never touched em last time I owned the mono.

3 Likes

Essentially, you set the minimum and maximum selectable setting by turning the knob to the left, then the right. Mild to wild is determined by the depth of your knob rotation.

Edit: Oh, my bad. I didnā€™t notice you wrote mod notesā€¦ I was thinking the accents. Wowā€¦ randomized mod notes could get crazy!

4 Likes

haha yea. you just enter mod note mode, hold randomise & a key. instant random patch on that key.

1 Like

This is great to create random breaks that you can quickly undo to go back to normal.
Worth noting: Only the Mod Notes from the current Mod Note page are used by pattern randomization (and not the notes of the main patch, interestingly). So if you organized your set with a Mod Note page dedicated to each song, you donā€™t find yourself with unrelated Mod Notes coming from another song/part.

Edit: Sorry, I thought you referred to pattern randomization ([TEMPO]+[FUNC]+[PATTERN]), but reading your post again I see you meant parameter randomization on Mod Notes!
With so many randomization levels, itā€™s hard to understand each other :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

haha I hear ya :joy:

canā€™t wait to see whats comin in the big update.

my guess is paraphony, or maybe some digital voices. I have no idea how much spare memory mono has or how feasible digital voices would be. probably highly unlikely. Still, Iā€™m sticking to it.

what yiz reckon, any guesses?

2 Likes

I submitted a number of feature requests on the FB Users page - way too many, actually. In the past they implemented quite a few of them (step dice, Mod Note/sequencer step mutes, pattern randomization affecting either normal notes or Mod Notes, LEDā€™s blinking when a note is played, etc.). They even took the time to explain me why they didnā€™t implement others! Lovely guys.

Among the ones I submitted lately, there was:

• ƀ la Volca ā€œactive stepā€ feature (you can deactivate sequencer steps so they are skipped during playback, which shortens the sequence and enables crazy pattern variations)
  • Slide range: Currently slides only last one step. I suggested a slide range could be selected for longer parameter slides
  • Snap OSC Freq values to the defined scale, so when you turn these knobs for OSC 1 & 2 you only hit notes from the scale
  • Copy range: Same as for slides, you could select a range of sequencer steps for copy
  • Control All (Ć  la Elektron) for Mode Notes: Currently knob tweaking only affects the selected Mod Note
  • X-Mod and X-Env CCā€™s sent out via the MIDI out when [Param Snd] is activated, turning the Mono into a crazy modulation factory

There might be others I forgotā€¦ Yeah, I know, this is too much :sweat_smile:

5 Likes