Norand Mono (Analog Bass Synth with Sequencer)

That’s basically the reason yes.

I was essentially programing multiple parts sat on top of each other and using Mod notes actually makes that approach more laborious and removes the option to use the controls as performance controls. A simple example was that one oscillator was always my kick, so turning that oscillator down lets me ‘mute’ the kick while the other oscillator carried on. Another trick was to use an unlinked X-Env on a parameter to create hats which worked (basically) independently of the other parts. I could mute those hats by selecting the X-Env’d parameters and turning down the amount - again Mod Notes would stop that from happening.

Hope that makes sense - got covid brain at the moment so apologies if that isn’t clear.

4 Likes

I’m quite with you on that.

The problem is that you can’t use so many different percussion sounds with this method (although your video shows it seems to be enough :slight_smile: )

That’s the reason why I requested Norand - among the gazillion feature requests I sent them - the ability to Ctrl-All Mod Notes.

Let’s see what comes out of FW 2.0

2 Likes

Oh and good luck battling with covid. Hope you recover soon!

1 Like

This popped up on the FB page:

7 Likes

duophonic mode :eyes:

2 Likes

Thanks for this link. I have been lurking on the Discourse server seeing if it will take off, but I really should register and help it to do so. This sounds like quite an upgrade!

2 Likes
  • 2-Pattern morphing

Woah! That sounds wild too!

4 Likes

I don’t quite know how pattern morphing would work; patterns are discrete, unlike presets, which can be morphed in a continuous fashion. I also am unclear on what “full duophonic implementation” means. Separate sequencer tracks for each oscillator? I guess we just wait for the beta to find out.

That’s how I understood it

But, like for pattern morphing, I’m also curious about how this is going to be implemented

Woof, a full rewrite sounds painful but good for the engine in the long run. Extra memory for per-device features, shared stable code to build off.

2 Likes

He’s doing it right. Especially since the current OS is already great.

1 Like

Curious if anyone is making more…west coasty?…music with theirs? I feel like there is tons of potential. 4op FM! But mostly I’m hearing people use FM for percussion and EDM groovy stuff. Nothing wrong with that but I’m looking for a little inspiration to go in different directions with the FM possibilities. I probably should just go through Buchla tutorials and adapt them to the Mono but perhaps someone is ahead of me here.

1 Like

I have sat down with the Mono a couple of times with the intention of exploring more FM-based slow evolving drones, but the resonant filter and the design of the x0x sequencer tend to pull me away in a bouncier direction. I’m hoping to do more “West Coast”-style work with Morphos, which lacks these two features, and is more symmetric and patchable. I don’t really want to use Mono for percussion. It does all right at this, but I have lots of better options.

2 Likes

QQ for Mono owners who are also into modular: If my goal is to get immediacy into jamming out modulated beefy squelchy lead sounds, would I be lacking in the sound department if I chose the Norand as opposed to a mini modular with an OSC, VCF, VCA and an ES-8 for ad/da and Ableton CV tools modulation.

The latter is a €1.5k project easy but gives the flexibility to swap components.

I’m thinking if I should take the shortcut with Norand or design for a flexible future.

Do you think MS-20, SEM, 18db/oct filter clone modules are that much better than the Norand filter?

I’m set on analogue signal path for hardware these days.

It’s not fully modular, just offers certain types of west coast/east coast synthesis in a groovebox format.

Modular bits that do the same would cost much more than €1.5k.

1 Like

As someone who has a Mono and a decent amount of modular, I would suggest that you go for the Mono. You might be able to get a sound you prefer within your budget. But it wouldn’t have the flexibility, or the immediacy. Spare yourself the hassle.

4 Likes

I have yet to dip my toe into modular, but if you’re after immediacy and modulation, you really can’t go wrong with the Norand Mono.

2 Likes

Thanks for talking me out of modular, it will be way too $$$$ for the purpose. I have made up my mind and instead of the Norand Mono, I’d rather get the Analogue Solutions Impulse Command for modulated, percussive lead sounds way up my taste.

2 Likes

I’ve been eyeing a mono. Anybody got any examples of more interesting sounds they’ve got out of it? The sequencer looks fantastic but I’ve not been blown away by the demos I’ve seen so far.

2 Likes

It’s always tough to answer these questions for what is right for others, there are so many manufacturers ways to get things done, and levels of immediacy required based on neurotype and what makes you most productive.

I love modular’s flexibility but find prepatched or semi-modular synths more usable with 1 knob/function, but grooveboxes are the most productive for me. Easiest still to record to DAW, but the eternal balance of limited options to unlimited options :wink:

1 Like