Norand Mono (Analog Bass Synth with Sequencer)

This thing does thru-zero FM with analog oscillators, and it sounds more awesome than all other analog mono synths that only do exponential FM. Who cares about 303s? Get a cheap Behringer clone for that.

2 Likes

Im not expecting it to be a 303 clone. But if this could get close it could be a good thing regarding future live sets. This would be so much more flexible than an TD-3. But i would still love some 303 acid.

Thru zero FM is awesome. Still have the original Rubicon in my modular.

1 Like

managed to do some juggling. by that I mean I sold some gear (I can juggle too but that’s not the point).

the point is I sold some stuff and have a norand on the way. :sunglasses:™

2 Likes

Congratulations! :partying_face:

A few things that need to be worked on through updates, but it is already such a joy to use.

A few things I personally experienced so far after a few days of using it, bugs, or “missing” features are:

1. Some lights (not sequencer steps) would not light up anymore, but adjustments where still possible. I think it was only sync and follow, not sure.
  2. Some sort of freeze. Saving/Loading was not possible (lost a project several times already) Accent and Slide was also not working anymore. Sequence was still running and it seemed normal. Turning off and on again solved the problem.
  3. Mod Notes are not being saved, neither is Tempo saved. Adjustments per step are not possible and it seemed that you can not do any changes at all to the overall sound.
  4. Filter (seemed liker filter amount) decreased suddenly by like 20% out of nowhere. Happened 2-3 times.
  5. Feature request: Knobs have to be moved to assign automation. This way you always have to change the current value, which is not very helpful, as you have to fear you lose the adjustment you made. “Jump pot mode” does not really help here. Maybe a second press, like “Function” and the desired knob so it becomes active, but does not change the value.

Edit: “Mod notes” did save when I tried again though…, weird. I wrote Mathieu from Norand all the things I noticed. Make sure you have 1.0.2 installed before you start.

5 Likes

ordered Sunday night, arrived this morning :stuck_out_tongue:

First impressions are great. I LOVE the interface. the sequencer. the modulation. Sounds amazin. writing the best melodies I’ve done in a long time instantly.

Anyone else getting a small bit of bleed on the main out when master vol is at zero?
os1.0.2

9 Likes

The modulation on the VCA can actually make some patches/sequences not able to get to zero. It’s a bit odd compared to most implementations for sure.

2 Likes

man, mono’s sequencer is so good.
simple and non-convoluted, but really deep.

stick it in a scale, add random generated notes, shuffle em up, randomise accents n slides, p-lock individual notes to fine tune the melody.
done. loads of fun.

I hope elektron are watching :wink:

9 Likes

first time I look at this synth.
Very interesting. Sounds great

1 Like

Hrm, I can get Microshift and Probability locked to the SEQ button, but I can’t seem to get the notes with Ratchet. Is there something I need to do beyond Func-SEQ button-turn-Decay/Ratchet-knob?

Try setting decay and sustain low.
I experienced the same thing when I tried it 1st.

1 Like

New Loopop video has a lot of praise for this. Looks awesome!

1 Like

I missed this before loopops video. It’s like my DB-01 but that little bit extra. Would love to hear some more sound examples.

I’m having fun with mine, will capture some examples when i get a replacement laptop interface next week.

2 Likes

Love mine!

5 Likes

l can’t think of review that he’s given that’s more glowing than this one.

(also, very infomative!)

3 Likes

His glowing for the Norand Mono mirrors my love for this thing. It is really unique.

Synth voice features

• Fully analog signal path
  • 2x analog oscillators
  • Continuously variable waveform
  • Thru-zero frequency modulation
  • Hard-sync
  • Filter overdrive
  • 1x 3-pole multi-mode filter
  • Continuously variable filter color
  • 1x Main ADSR envelope

Modulation features

• 13x dedicated AD envelopes
  • 20x dedicated modulator

Modulator (modulation oscillator) :

• 4 waveforms
  • Type settings : Free/Synced/Audio-Rate
  • Audio-Rate anti-aliased, quantized to OSC1
  • Free from 0.1 to 80 seconds

Envelope :

• Attack-Decay segment from 10us to 20s

Sequencer

• Up to 64 step per pattern
  • Individual length/scale/beat-division per pattern
  • Individual microshift/ratchet/probability per step
  • Per step parameter automation (offsets)
  • Swing/Slide/Accent
  • Copy/paste anything
  • Undo/Redo anything with 1024 events history
  • Mod Note mode
  • Fast, clock independent project Load/Save

Randomizer

• Quandtized note randomizer
  • Ranged parameter automation randomizer
  • Step randomizer
  • Mod note randomizer
  • Microshift/Probability/Ratchet randomizer

Storage

• 32 projects
  • 64 patterns with patch memory per projects
  • 3200 parameter automation per pattern
  • 40 mod note per projects

Hardware

• 23x transilluminated potentiometer
  • 24x illuminated silent mechanical switch
  • 23x 808-style switch
  • MIDI In/Out/Thru
  • 1x 1/4” unbalanced main audio out jack
  • 2x 1/8” eurorack Clock/Reset input
  • 2x 1/8” eurorack CV outputs
  • 2x 1/8” eurorack Gate outputs
  • 48kHz internal CV D/A converters
  • Flash-EEPROM upgradable OS
  • MIDI class compliant USB-B port

Balanced audio outputs

• Output level: +15dBu maximum
  • Output impedance: 200 Ohm

CV Outputs

• Voltage range: -8V/+8V
  • 1V/oct resolution : 3cents of a semitone

Electrical specification

• Unit consumption: 10W typical
  • Recommanded power supply: 15V DC, 2A

Physical specifications

• Machined aluminum front panel
  • ABS-PC back panel
  • Dimmensions: W320xD150xH42
  • Weight: approx. 1.6kg

Miscellaneous

• 2-year Norand warranty

Included in the box

• Mono (obviously)
  • High-quality power supply
1 Like

That was a good video, and I think it accurately reflects the pros and cons. I’ve had mine a couple months now, and it is quite impressive. It’s so intuitive to use and works really well for live tweaking.

1 Like

Wow, what an incredible UI. They should seriously win some design awards for this, it looks as fun to program sounds as it would be to jam, sequence, remix and tweak live.

The semitone stepped filter thing I find an odd design decision though, i hope that’s something that could be switchable from smooth to stepped in a firmware update.

Overall the sound really isn’t for me - I know it sounds objectively ‘good’, it just doesn’t have the character I personally look for in a mono these days… Probably sounds great with just a little chorus or reverb though! So, like loopop, really hoping they build off of this and make a VA poly, FM, or wavetable version I can get behind;)

3 Likes

Man I’d love one but at $919 (that’s with California tax included) it’s seriously a little too expensive. I love my db-01 and want to try this out!

On there next one I think if they went for a super mono (possibly hybrid), with 4 osc dual filter, audio input, it could really be in the Pro2/3 and Motas 6 range of synths… I could get pretty dang tempted. I’m actually kind of tempted as it is just for its mono drum machine type capabilities, but Pro2 and A4 I have also do that sort of stuff.

It does seem really rad as is, and something that you could easily take out live which is always a plus.

2 Likes