Norand Mono (Analog Bass Synth with Sequencer)

Totally, would be very into a hybrid mono or hybrid poly in the same format. I’m in the market for a hybrid mono and the Pro 2/3 strikes me as interesting, but I have a soft spot for gear that can operate in the studio as well as live. Have you checked out the Dominion Club? Ticks a lot of those boxes. (Typhon as well to an extent, just 2osc though.)

At some point when I have the spare cash and inclination I will be getting either the Norand Mono or the Erica Synths DB-01. Which one I choose is down to how much spare cash I have at the time and how inspirational the workflow/sequencing is on these devices. I’ve had my heart set on the DB-01 for ages but then Norand released this and really blew me away. I love the sounds and the sequencer!

3 Likes

totally agree. such a good ui. it’s really deep, easy to use and fun.

love this yoke :heart:

id kill for those extra sequencer functions on my elektrons.

6 Likes

Yeah, it was definitely down to the both of them and i went with the Mono first. A wider set of possibilities and possibly more hunting for the sweet spots? But i’m very happy, will eventually try the Erica at some point.

3 Likes

They implemented your function moving knob idea in the new firmware! Just updated and it’s a big improvement for that!!

2 Likes

I really like this synth. I feel like they took an sh101 and a 303 and brought it into the modern era? Someone has already said this I’m sure. It’s just been itching in the back of my brain. I had to say it.

Edit: I haven’t used it, but I get a lot of use out of my squarps sequencer capabilities along with the monologue and elektrons that I can see this being a neato addition. I’ve been done buying synths for a while now. I think it’s been a year and a half since my last synth. My setup is really fleshed out. Now I think I want to rack everything. Any tips welcome. I have a drill and screws.

3 Likes

A rare case where I had sky high expectations and the opposite happened. Picked it up from perfect circuit, I basically hate everything about it. All the videos, the features, the sequencers, it all seemed right up my alley. And if you know what you want from it it’s amazing, I’m sure. But 3 days and I’m returning it. Sometimes gear just clicks with you unexpectedly sometimes disappoints! Super cool instrument, but def not for me.

Edit: ignore me. I need to spend some more time with it. Some of my most hated pieces of gear were ones I didn’t spend enough time with or learn about. I’ll give it a few more days.

3 Likes

The sequencer is so great. Innovative and inspiring. My problem now is the sound. It’s thin, to my ears.

I wish there was noise and sub. Compared to my db-01 and as-1 it just can’t come close sound wise. Unless I just haven’t learned the sounds yet.

And for 840 plus tax, it’s just not there. Any tips/thoughts for sound? There’s so much awesome with this thing, but it’s missing some stuff.

yeah… that sounds about right

1 Like

Crikey. I find it to sound really full. Bear in mind that the oscillators are designed to distort (in a warm way) if you push then hard into the filter with the oscillator volume knobs.
As for needing a sub oscillator - I really don’t find it a problem to just lower one oscillator and octave and have the other sitting above it.

I truly get the idea that some gear doesn’t click - my setup has seen some great gear that is highly rated come and go within weeks - but the Mono sounding thin is really something that I don’t find at all. But then again - sound is such a subjective bugger.

:man_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

it sounds mint.

:partying_face:

Thanks for the feedback. I’m gonna keep learning it and playing around, getting to know it better.

1 Like

Just throwing an idea out, i don’t own one, yet. But your reactions are such an outlier, and you had been so much on board with this to be an early buyer. Is it possible the unit you got is broken, or not working correctly? A bad component, or a bad connection somewhere ? That might be tough to sort out right away, especially if it worked well enough to get through quality check from the factory. But this sort of thing happens, i know of other people around this forum that have had this sort of problem. It is an early run on production for Norand. Is there something basic you can do that, you’d expect to sound differently/better ? Maybe some others here could duplicate what you did and you could compare results. Just an idea.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s broken, it just has a lot of potential and less forcibly narrow sweet spots.

I’m liking it more and more as I stick with it and learn it. I compared it to my as-1 yesterday and the as-1 sounded better to me, but definitely couldn’t get as wild, and the mono sequencer is definitely unique, special and really fun. I hope they add an arp soon.

Gonna compare it side by side with the db-01 tonight.

I’ve come around to it. It still seems a little too expensive, but man the sequencer! And the varied things it can do! It’s not as fat sounding as the db-01, but it does things that can’t dream of doing. Both incredible, I wish the mono were closer priced to the db01.

2 Likes

I have a Mono, but have never tried a DB-01, although I think they sound great. What can the Mono do that it can’t?

I’ve done a 180 on this. I absolutely love it. I understand it a lot more now, and it’s sequencer is worth the high price tag. What a unique and special machine. It doesn’t happen often, but I love when I really don’t like something at first, only for it to grow into an all time favorite of mine. Bojack Horseman and The Leftovers belong on this list too lol

4 Likes

I’ve been excited about this for a while, but I promised my self no new gear. You have to get to know what you have. But this synth is doooooooooppppppppeeeeeéeee
I would have fun with this.

Same here… I was weak, I ordered one. Delivery was slightly delayed by a couple of days that feel like weeks to me. Can’t wait.