Norand Mono (Analog Bass Synth with Sequencer)

Honeymoon stage is over and I’m still just as blown away by this. It’s incredible and I love the 180 I did on this. Super fun to play, nothing quite like it.

5 Likes

I’m also having big expectations on this one. I was initially unimpressed by the rather common sound engines, but the secret seems to lie in the usability of the synth - with all its easily accessible modulation and randomization features. The more instruments I discover, the more I realize this is important to me.

Got mine a couple of weeks ago. It’s wicked.

1 Like

Their is no weakness, only the strength to try something new and different… I might shell out some cash for the novation bass station. It has some of the features I like which is enough for me and a bit cheaper.

1 Like

Exactly this.

1 Like

The basstation seems indeed like a serious contender - and much cheaper! But it does not seem to hold a candle to the Norand modulation-wise.

2 Likes

In principle the Norand having an ENV/LFO for every single parameter seems amazing but in practice does anyone find they are taking advantage of all that modulation? (Specifically beyond what I can do with the combination of a few LFO’s per track and the ability to plock those per step Elektron-style)

2 Likes

Yes that’s true, but most of the time I sequence the monologue in the same way the norand and station work with pyramid, it takes a lot more time and patience but these 2 would be a beast at it.

1 Like

I mean it’s absolutely more about the flexibility of the modulation than it is about modulating every single parameter on every patch and sequence.

3 Likes

Can you elaborate? I don’t need you to walk me through the demos I’m just curious exactly what aspect you’re referring to. Are you saying that the flexibility is being able to do what you want without worrying about running out of LFO/ENVs? Or is it how you manage them that is more flexible in a way that I’m not appreciating. The light-up knobs do seem incredible.

1 Like

This, primarily. I can set up some neat syncopated rhythms and not feel starved for LFOs or frustrated with limited destinations.

1 Like

I don’t own it yet, but I guess flexibility comes from the fact that you just have to touch any control to immediately access one LFO and one envelope (AD) to modulate it. And this is for almost all the controls on the Mono.

The sequencer seems really well equipped as well and you can, e.g. create a loop within the sequence by just pressing a start point and an end point. If you set the end point before the start point, you get a reverse loop.

I don’t have my Mono yet and just read the so-called “fucking manual” so there’s another feature regarding which I would appreciate clarifications: I think I read somewhere that you can temporarily select another pattern and keep it playing as long as the corresponding pattern button is pressed. When you release the pattern button, playback reverts to the original pattern. Did I get that right from the manual? Is it any real?
(If real that would be rad!)

2 Likes

Reading the manual again I found the answer to my own question: in Pattern mode, “Temporarily holding a [SEQ] key will play the pattern as long as it is held, the previous pattern will resume playing when releasing the key.”

6 Likes

Picked up a Norand a few weeks ago (they are still in stock at Perfect Circuit.) Imo the sound, TZFM, sequencer and modulation possibilities really do make it a unique instrument and worth the price. The balanced output is also a nice touch.

I’ve been hoping for something like this to come along and keep me from slipping back into modular.

5 Likes

I also got one a couple of weeks ago and find it fantastic.

I think it is really designed both for deep sound design and live performance, and features a number of things I haven’t seen on any other instrument.

The firmware is still “young” (quite a couple of additions would be welcome, if not absolutely needed) but it already does a wonderful job as is. IMHO, best user interface since Elektron.

I’m surprised it does not get more exposure. This is probably due to the price tag.

7 Likes

Exactly how I feel!

Yeah it is kind of in an odd spot, I think it is just expensive enough that people buying it will also be on the market for stuff like the Pro 3, Motas-6, used Pro 2, analog 4… I suppose the list could go on. For me it was between Norand Mono and the Avalon Basslines final run, and well I decided this is the only chance I will get to try out an Avalon. I suppose if I dont dig it I will be selling it and grabbing the Norand though.

1 Like

Well actually I see it more as a competitor to the Bass Station II, which is waaaaay less expensive. This being said, the Norand has loads of small things you could call details that accumulate to make a real difference.

After years using deep synthesizers (among which I am happy to count a MonoMachine and a MachineDrum), I have come to terms with the fact that I was more after usability than depth. The Norand Mono offers a very good compromise between these two aspects in my opinion. Its specific features make it a live performance beast, while its countless modulation options open limitless horizons for sound design (although it does have its character and remains a mono synth).

(I’m probably in the honey moon phase, ha ha)

3 Likes

I feel this way a couple months in. It’s a special machine. The only con is the price, but I get why it has to be that way.

3 Likes

Just as a follow-up to this (temporary pattern play), it does not seem to be working at the moment. But Mathieu from Norand wrote me he was working on it (among other quirk reports and feature requests).

The machine is already fully functional, except for this feature described in the manual, but I have high hopes that the next firmware is going to bring in other goodies (like Mod Notes mute, saving options and extra copy-paste options - although Mathieu hasn’t committed to anything)

3 Likes