Norand Mono (Analog Bass Synth with Sequencer)

LOL. The complete 180 cataloged above. People need to spend more than 30 minutes before they go about waistng employee’s time and resources returning items that they didn’t bother to learn to use. Granted you took people’s advice and dug in, but it’s reminded me that there are people who buy the latest gear, try it out for a couple minutes and decide “nah”.

1 Like

Bass Station is cool, but Novation"s gear has a certain unique sound that people don’t really like. It’s as if Novation runs its sound sources through a limiter/compressor. I had a Mono Station, and although it was a really feature packed bit of gear, it didn’t sit well in a mix. I noticed the same was true for other Novation gear I’d used in the past. The Norand on the other hand is a raw and “take no prisoners” beast. It’s can ride in a mix well, or take front and center. Definitely has potential to be considered a modern classic, a la SH101 back in the 90s. Although, unlike the 101 in the 80s, I’d say you could consider the Norand an immediate hit.

2 Likes

That’s what the monologue is for me anyways, my own classic, it’s got everything i would have used on an sh, and I can add a 3rd osc with the audio in. But I will wait for one of these to not gel with someone on eBay or reverb, or even hear. :slight_smile: It’s bound to happen. I wish everyone fun with this Beasty little thing.

1 Like

Dave Smith’s influence should shake up their offerings a smidge in the coming future :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mono on its own (unprocessed)

13 Likes

Edit : What a Jam!

10 Likes

I’m not always that bothered by a lot of this guy’s stuff, but every now and again he really impresses me.

This is decent.

4 Likes
9 Likes

Must be nice to have an 8424 to use asa synth stand

6 Likes

Perfect Circuit was having a sale so I ordered one last Saturday. Looking forward to trying it out. Sequencer looks sick :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just got mine delivered! It’s a really good sounding synth, though I need to learn how to use it :slight_smile:
Played through and tweaked presets and recorded everything into Logic, then chopped up the pieces and made a silly little jam. Every sound is the Norand, occasionally going through the Gamechanger Light Pedal spring reverb.

10 Likes

Listening to this, I realize that this synth really has a distinctive and recognizable sound :slight_smile:

Well done

2 Likes

It’s an odd one. Kinda does the 303 thing, the Basstation thing, or the SH thing, but really it’s got it’s own thing. Spent the night just making drum patterns to sample into the OT. The envelopes are so snappy. Didn’t know I was buying such a nice drum machine :slight_smile:

8 Likes

More drum sounds

12 Likes

Guys, I just got a glimpse of the new (beta) firmware: It’s going to be great. This machine will get even more interesting and easier to play.

(Not sure how much I can disclose, I’ll ask tomorrow)

8 Likes

If anything, I’m just happy it’s coming out “soon” :wink:

2 Likes

Interested in finding out about the new Firmware!

1 Like

Oh man I’m so excited! Can’t wait!

OK, as far as I can say, the sequencer has been significantly beefed up, and a couple of quirks were solved. The main things for me are:

• Step Mutes : You can know mute/unmute steps without affecting the underlying note/automation recorded on it
  • Mod Note Mutes : You can selectively mute mod notes trigs of the current pattern
  • Visualisation : The note/mod note played by the sequencer will now blink on the mini keyboard when triggered
  • Unlinked X-Env trigs now resets LFO phase as well to allow for custom phase reset position
  • Added a master volume control (not saved within project or persisted in memory !) : hold [FUNC] and adjust Volume knob
  • Randomize pitch now works contextually : when in normal mode it will randomize the pitch of the note trigs, without affecting the mod notes. When in mod notes, it will randomize the mod notes of the pattern, picking only mod notes from the curent page.
  • Randomize step position (Step dice) : You can now randomize the position of a selected range of steps

And above all:

• Play style : a new feature allow to change how the sequencer plays the steps. The following style are available, in that order : Forward, reverse, synced pendulum, pendulum, drunk (2 forward, one backward), reverse drunk, random drunk (75% chance forward 25% chance backward), reverse random drunk, and random

This new firmware should be released quite soon :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Whoooooo!!!

1 Like