Norand Mono (Analog Bass Synth with Sequencer)

Damn now I want one even more

1 Like

Looking forward to new firmware to deal with some of the quirks because some of the quirks are veryā€¦quirky.

I have some very confounding random weird stuff that happens pretty much every time I use the synth. I do love the synth, but at this point thereā€™s no way Iā€™d use it live. MIDI sync has been unpredictable on my unit. Sometimes Iā€™ll start on a empty pattern thatā€™s never been used, yet has tons of modulation going crazy that I often canā€™t undo. Really maddening some days, but I still love this synth a whole lot and hope it reps improving on the firmware side

4 Likes

Yes, I see what you mean. Some of the advertised features were hardly implemented. And at this price point, there is ground for frustration :-/

If you havenā€™t already you should report these issues to them. This is a small company and I found them really nice and responsive.

For me the strengths have been outweighing the weaknesses so far. And this new firmware - that I have tried - comes to confirm that.

4 Likes

From my email correspondence with Mathieu from Norand in the beginning I am pretty sure he will try to fix all these bugs that @Snipecatcher mentioned and yes it is a small company. From what I know it is just him and one other guy.
It is running great for me, but I understand that it is not stable enough to use it live for others.

Send detailed bug reports to contact@norand.io

Nice update!!! Gonna have to try the random drunk play style now with some of the new Randomize features.

3 Likes

Yep, the improved ā€œcontextualizedā€ randomization features also really shine for quick breaks - that you can easily undo.
For normal notes, itā€™s better to define a scale first.
For Mod Notes, itā€™s a good thing to keep them neatly organized per page, so you have visibility over whatā€™s going to happen - or not :smiley:
Step dice is another cool break-friendly feature.
Muting Mod Notes - that I usually keep for percussive sounds - is also a biggie for me. Just cutting the kick or the HH from time to time might be a platitude, but itā€™s nonetheless useful in a live context.

1 Like

MIDI sync has been working all day, thankfully! Made several patterns and dumped em one at a time into my OT. Came up with this vaguely disco kinda jam.

4 Likes

sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Edit: I thought Iā€™d labeled my PSU but canā€™t seem to find it. What was the spec of the adapters persons have received? I see a ā€œCUI INCā€ adapter thatā€™s 15v 1A, though the spec suggests i should be using 2Aā€¦

Edit Edit: Confirmed to be the right one by Mathizu, phew.

1 Like

The new beta version of the firmware can be downloaded from the ā€œNorand Mono Usersā€ group on Facebook :slight_smile:

(It was not yet on their website last time I checked)

2 Likes

Well I might as well put it here

Firmware_V1.2.0b.zip (168.0 KB)

5 Likes

I donā€™t know their dev process well enough, Is that likely to become the release candidate so long as there are no significant issues?

(whatever, YOLO, installing it.)

1 Like

Howā€™re you liking it so far? Any bugs?

I found a little quirk: the playhead disappears sometimes. Restarting the unit solves the issue.

1 Like

Currently just running it with external midi but will use the internal sequencer tonight.

1 Like

Anyone else having problems getting the new firmware to load? Sysex seems to be going across OK, LEDs lighting up one by one. I give it a few seconds and then reboot but Iā€™m not getting the 9 new play modes. What am I doing wrong?

You might be rebooting before itā€™s done. After the firmware updates, it goes through and updates each project.

1 Like

Thanks for that. Iā€™ll give it a couple of mins before I reboot. Cheers.

1 Like

Mine does not start at all anymore after the update. Did everything as described in the update procedure. I wrote Mathieu from Norand about it and he answered right back. So if anyone else experienced something similar let me know and I can tell Mathieu. I will contact him today again.

1 Like

Uh oh. I guess Iā€™ll hold off on updating mine till I hear moreā€¦I canā€™t wait to update it though, the new firmware sounds awesome!

1 Like

Same. Glad I waited, but the updates sound awesome :slight_smile:

Tried this but no dice. I messaged Norand. Will report back if/when I get a result. Jb

2 Likes