Nord Drum 3 & 3P

I’ll check later tonight.

1 Like

There must be a good nord modular / g2 patch that gets close to any of the nord drums ?

Anyone ? ( I have a micro modular but rarely use it )

@johnl
I put my 3P on the same Brada stand you linked to. I put a heavy book, that covers all the pads and tapped away pretty hard, as i might on MPC pads. On the 3Ps default sensitivity settings NO sounds were triggered unless i tapped hard enough to hurt my fingers. You won’t be doing that on your Digitone.

But i reckon there will still be midi info being transmitted.

2 Likes

Yes and no. Can’t speak for the Og modulars, but the G2 does make a great rhythm machine, but the core sound character of the G2 is noticeably different from the the ND3. Straight out of the gate, the ND3 has a greater dynamic range, a deeper tone and sounds “snappier” than the G2 percussion modules (G2 patches are not compatible with the first gen). On the NDs Nord obviously optimized the algos for percussion and the converters are somewhat improved. OTOH, with the nord modulars you can obviously patch up far more complex patches than on the NDs and with some work get excellent drums (I often don’t use the perc modules).

In short, with the Micro Modular’s 4 voices you won’t be able to replicate much of the ND, but you can build very unique drum patches that the ND couldn’t replicate. There are no doubt many drum patches in the archive at electro-music.com, but also try patching your own!

2 Likes

Another option for late night nord drums is the Nordbeat 3 app (need an iPad & iRig midi2/similar). It has a nice sequencer also there’s pad mode so you can tap/trill with your fingers for a super quiet jam. The app has 3 different velocity settings so if you tap
Inside circle pad = hard velocity setting
outside the circle = mid velocity setting
Corner of pad = soft velocity setting
I tried running it thru Korg mini kaoss pad & got some nice dubby results :flying_saucer:

7 Likes

Not many decent quality demos of G1 or G2 doing drums - there’s this though:

1 Like

Weakened and ordered a second-hand ND2 with Pad.

2 Likes

Where did you find a new ND2 for sale?

1 Like

Let us know how you get on with it - even better: what you make with it!

1 Like

Oh, and look into editors - much more convenient and quicker than patching on the machine. When I borrow my friend’s ND3, I use one in TB Midi Stuff iOS app.

Go to the Nord User Forum for one for the ND2

1 Like

have you checked out the percussion oscillator on the micro? it certainly has it’s own character but i don’t see them taking place of a more drum focused synth. i would imagine it’s more like the drum engines in the lead series that the NDs

Seriously dude, where did you even find one?

1 Like

A second-hand one off eBay (Italy), in good condition. Sorry for getting up hopes of a new stash :slight_smile:

1 Like

Anyone find a solution/workaround to the global midi channel issue? I would love to be able to play into the Digitakt with the pads but have each pad on its own track. So far I’ve just been recording one pad at a time and then changing tracks but it’s not so fun.

Workaround from the top of my head would be a Retrokits RK-002, or a Blokas Midihub or a Bome Bomebox, or even an Axoloti.

For live use, a thing to consider is limited availability of the RK-002 & Axoloti in case you need a spare (I don’t know for the other 2).

Thank you, will look into those. If I’m understanding correctly, it would involve intercepting the midi note signals and translating them into channels?

Only the global channel on ND sends notes. If you only want one note / pitch per pad but record them to separate midi channels, practically any midi processor will do the job i.e assign each of the 6 notes to a separate midi channel.

However, pitch on the non global channels does respond to midi notes, so the ND can be used as up to 6 separate mono synths (obviously with limitations like no attack) but with independent modulation per channel. The ND can be damn good and pretty unique for some mono synth duties! Only two outs is a limitation, especially for live use.

1 Like

A little more clarification If you want to play and record melodies on up to 6 channels into the DT directly from the ND, (limited to six notes so an external midi keyboard is usually preferable) change the global channel to the corresponding individual channel. After recording the individual channels, assign the global to it’s own midi channel (the ND receives on up to 7 channels si,ultaneously) and use the global channel to modulate parameters on all individual channels if and when needed/ desired.

Makes sense thanks. This scenario sounds like what I do in the opposite direction, playing each voice of the Nord chromatically from the digitakt, although you miss out on velocity this way. It’s a fun combo, lots of possibilities it seems. Playing chords from the digi on a melodic kit of the Nord, also interesting. Going to look into the rk-002 route for recording multiple tracks simultaneously.

1 Like

You can take a look at the examples at https://www.retrokits.com/rk002/exchange/
There’s likely something very similar to build upon. Maybe one of the Volca Sample ones could be flipped?