Nord Modular G1 and Mac ( & G2 )

Cool for G1 owners. How about G2 though? Anything popped up for anyone on that front?

Nothing yet for the G2 im afraid but it still work with OSX Mojave.

Not 100% related to the topic, but I noticed what seems to be a bug on my G1 :
when I switch on my G1s (Iā€™ve got 2 of them), incoming PC messages donā€™t work. But if I manually change the current patch, or simply hit ā€œPatch/Loadā€ then the slot button, then it works as expected.

Can anyone confirm that ?

Had it working too, but itā€™s a real pain that it doesnā€™t support bank up/download.

Hi there, hope itā€™s related to the topic.
Iā€™m looking both for a small PC that will run the G2 software (so, withā€¦Vista ?) and a way to connect it to my Mac Studio so I can edit it with the same mouse/screen/keyboard.
In a nutshell, I wouldnā€™t mind having a second computer only to run the G2 software, as long as it can remain ā€˜hiddenā€™ behind my desktop.
What are my options ?

Iā€™ve got an old VAIO laptop with XP installed that runs the software properly, but I donā€™t know how to display it on my Mac. I didnā€™t even manage to connect it to internetā€¦
Any help would be awesome.

Iā€™ve not done this but it seems depending on what Mac monitor and ports you have and maybe different OS, but you might be able to.

This would be pretty handy to know and seen done, as PC was (I believe) the better OS (unfortunately) for the G1 editor, not sure about G2.

Quick Google found this: How To Use an iMac as a Monitor for a PC

Might be useful. Keen to hear how you get on.

1 Like

Iā€™d like to know this too for the G2. FYI, the wine editor for G1 works perfectly on my new M1 mini.

Iā€™ve got a lot of disconnection (using an Elektron TM-1) when using it on my Mac Studio. Thereā€™s an alternative one thatā€™s running well, but I prefer the original one (mainly because of copy/paste modules).

I just realized that my monitor has 2 hdmi inputs so I could simply manually switch sources. Iā€™ll try this, but I often want to make patches while sequencing it in Ableton Live, and this will not be possible.

Ah nice thatā€™s good to know. Another reason to get a new Mac :sunglasses:

No need for cable switching (or even cables). Just google ā€˜VNCā€™ ā€“ known as Screen Sharing on modern Mac OS and accessible by typing a VNC address into Safari.

Of course that should be the wayā€¦
I guess my problem is I canā€™t get internet running on my super old laptopā€¦ Iā€™ll try to figure this out !

Iā€™ve an old imac 20, 2.4 ghz ,you can buy this for a small price less than 100ā‚¬ without fan sound and with comfortable screen.

No need for internet. I bought one of those $100 PCs from Amazon with Win10 Pro installed. A simple cheap Ethernet switch between Mac and PC does the trick. I use the free MS Remote Desktop on Mac to remote into the PC and it works flawlessly.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot !
Any link would be awesome. Also can you confirm that Win10 runs both G1 and G2 software flawlessly ? I own both.

Well, I ordered this computer.
Hope it will work.
Also this switch to connect to the same network as my Mac Studio.
Then something like VNC Viewer will allow to access the PC from the Mac ?

Hi,

I have a very similar setup with my G1 but I connect to the Win10 machine using WiFi.

There is no need to download and configure VNC. You can use RDP (Remote Desktop) already in Win10. This guide seems to cover setting it up https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/microsoft-remote-desktop-access-windows-mac/

The only thing I do need to do is on my Mac make sure the remote connection is set to Play Sound on Remote PC

Iā€™m not sure about the G2 ā€¦ but the G1 editor certainly works ok.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot !

Thank you again.
I received my PC and managed to set this up. Itā€™s awesome.

It runs fine on windows, same as MicroModular. I have seen people running windows in Mac computers. Can you you not just do that?

@mattp I find the knobs to be not smoothly responsive to mouse movements. Do you also see this ? Any chance that switching to Ethernet (over WiFi) would make it better ? Or anything else ?