Norns

Can anyone speak to how easily Norns and scripts sync to external Midi Clock?

I’ve tries going through this and the Lines board, but couldn’t find a definitive answer aside from a few posts about writing code.

I don’t think I’m going to be able to invest time writing my own scripts, but figure it would be a fun and creative portable tool if I can sync it with the other hardware and software I’m using.

The Norns syncs to midi via a universal system function that manages clock i/o across all scripts. Individual scripts can also manage midi further, and may are explicitly written as midi sequencers, with or without local audio playback from the Supercollider and / or sample engines.

I discovered last night for example that a script running on the Norns as a demo for one track started syncing to the A4 it was connected to as a follower device via USB to DIN midi with no setup on my part. It sounded great, so may well end up in the piece too.

2 Likes

which script was that?
i’m curious…

The magnificent sines, which I really wasn’t expecting to sync as I hadn’t explicitly set it up to that I recall, but it did.

3 Likes

Wondering are there some nice Norns scrips with good real time timestretch / beat sync a la Ableton?

Perfectly with such a workflow -> record some longer audio from ext gear >>> cut and edit into shorter loops >>> mark as 1/2/4/8 bars loops or set warp points so they play in sync with ext midi clock>>> add them to pool and trigger via ext midi
???

Also wondering if something like a PaulStrech available for Norns (paulstrech is a strech algo which allows to stretch like 10x times or more with good quality, so making hour from 1 minute )
???

Have a look at Glaciers, which is based on PaulStretch.

6 Likes

Wow, exactly what I wanted. Very cool!

What about more traditional loop based time synced script?

There’s numerous loopers available, some of which might be able to do what you need - have a look through the selection here. Cheat Codes is incredibly deep, so much so that I’ve not really had time to look into it, but can probably do what you want ; Amen is more focused on chopping breaks, while Compass or maybe Downtown might get you there ; but I mostly use things like oooooo or Barcode, which are much more abstract (or maybe I just tend to use them like that - but still a lot of fun).

1 Like

Thanks a lot for such a detailed answer! Will learn it deeper tonight, but anyway I’ve just pulled the trigger on Shield kit. Such a nice algorithms will b useful for sure. I guess only Grasers alone worth the price of it. And size is just perfect!

1 Like

Enjoy! I love the Norns and use it about 50% of the time I do anything now, and it pairs well with most things - a Grid (or Midigrid, which is what I use with 2x Launchpad Minis for now) is really useful and expands hugely on a lot of scripts, but by no means essential and isn’t used at all by many of them, though for some is is either required or very much recommended (eg the absolutely stunning and a bit-baffling Arcologies or the remarkably complete Cheat Codes 2).

1 Like

Plan to use it with Digitakt as an „expander“. Curious, will it send audio via usb as well? Would be amazing… perfectly get power / midi / audio from DTs usb at the same time, but I guess it’s too much to ask: )

1 Like

There is script developed for USB audio called ConnectOPZ. As the name indicates, it was aimed at the OP-Z in particular originally, but it works with other USB audio-emitting devices too. A read through the thread at Lines should give you some background and an idea about future plans for the script.

1 Like

Loopop goes Norns and gives a very good overview for those who are wondering what it’s all about.

13 Likes

I don’t suppose you’ve tried gridstep with your twin launchpad (or single launchpad) setup have you ? Very interested to learn about the capabilities of this setup (before buying norns hardware if possible)

Yes, I have, and it works fine with 2x Launchpad Minis Mk3 using Midigrid.

2 Likes

Would it be an issue to use mismatched Minis? I have a Mk1 and a Mk 2 that I was hoping to combine into a budget 128 Grid. In principle it seems like it should work. I guess I should just try it really…

1 Like

I guess there really is only one way to find out… good luck

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll set some time aside in the next few days and report back once I’ve tried it.

1 Like

what’s the closest thing to Monome/ mlr in a self contained unit (outside of Norns)?