Note / Octave super weirdness (with images)

This is such a weird one, but my octaves don’t match the notes as shown in @DaveMech’s DIGITAKT course (part 1)…
What did I do wrong? Maybe i’m missing smth about how this works, but visually it doesn’t match what Dave is doing in the video.

(Hi Dave!)

Thanks,
Marc

Dave’s DIGITAKT →
Note = F3 and (+5)

My DIGITAKT →
Note = F3 and (-19)

The part of the video which explaining holding [FUNC] and changing the octave by 12:

1 Like

Feel free to DM me about this stuff :wink:

When OS 1.30 was released they extended the down pitch capabilities on the DT. So I think they switched from a default c3 to default C5. Not entire sure if I remember this correctly. But that means F3 was +5 before that OS when part 1 was recorded (sans the bonus material). And now F3 is -19 which is 2 octaves lower.

However you should just focus on the +5 in this case, Not the note number, to het the same result.

Since we’re working with samples on DT these things are kind of relative anyway :slightly_smiling_face:

Let me know if that clears things up.

And hope you enjoy the course!

4 Likes

From the 1.30 release notes:

Extended the TUNE (sample pitch) parameter downward range to -60 semitones. The NOTE range is also changed to accommodate for the extended TUNE range. The added range also necessitated a change in which incoming MIDI notes triggering what note on the device. Middle C is now triggered on note 60 instead of note 36.

The difference is 24 notes and guess what the difference is between -19 and +5 :wink:

4 Likes

I was considering a DM but i thought it could be useful to have out there for others :slight_smile:
Ok cool, thanks for explaining.
Yes the course is really really great. I went through it last year as you know, but stalled, so just goign through it all again, really want to ensure I get the full picture on this creative powerhouse. Your digitone course is next :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah yeah that makes sense.

Great to hear man :relaxed::+1: thanks for the support. And feel feel free to send me mail if you have a question.

One comment which makes me laugh, but as you’re doing this all very naturally (has to be bc it’s about process etc) you’re constantly tweaking settings almost subconsciously/intuitively, so as I follow, I have to make sure I get them in there, so that it follows the overall tweaks made and the result is about the same. But it reminds me for some unknown reason of this SNL clip lol :laughing: https://youtu.be/jVhlJNJopOQ?t=25