Novation circuit monostation

What s your plan with that?

analyzing othersā€™ patches
writing/editing patches with a hex editor
also, itā€™s only 136 bytes, so i can store much more than 64 patches on Axoloti and load them to Mono Station when needed without using computer and their Components software.

Cool. One of my complaints about the CMS is the lack of color coding in te patch matrix. Once it s all filled up with blue slots, it becomes impossible to remember what s what. As workaround i leave an empty slot here and there to get some visual bearings. Good thing sessions at least remember one associated patch.

oh, yes. same about Circuit and samples. until i rearranged everything according to my own mnemonic rules, i could not find anything.

I use first 32 patches for synths , 2 rows for bass, next 2 for leads, etcā€¦
Next 32 patches for drums, 4 kits of 8 sounds
First drum, next snare etcā€¦
Or at least I intend to do soā€¦I use a m4l editor in ableton and save patches as midi fx racks

1 Like

here it is.
CircuitMonoStationPatchSysExFormat.pdf (83.3 KB)

4 Likes

From the facebook group, credits to https://www.facebook.com/yves.bigcity
Need to try this :grin:

Typo in the picture: seq as source, not as destination :ok_hand:

1 Like

last weekend Mono Station still was on Novation website, but not anymore.
so, finally we know for sure itā€™s discontinued.

Damn, I was hoping for one more Black Friday sale where I could have got one for cheap. I hope they release an improved version!

probably some stores (rather not the biggest ones) still have them, and there are chances that the leftover will be on sale, so i would lurk for it if i were you.

i bought two in april, just because of live noodling capabilities.

imo they moved on.

I dont think the product found the expected success.

Maybe I am super wrong and they somehow have the Circuit successor with a the mono station and the circuit crammed into one battery powered monster drumsynth with the monostationā€™s enginesā€¦

But most likely they discountinued the Mono Station and are moving onā€¦

Or they could release an AFX version 7 years later with the exact same hardware but presets from Aphex Twin :wink:

2 Likes

Iā€™ll always think fondly of it! I didnā€™t get along with the patterns/sessions, so it didnā€™t integrate well with my setup, but it was so much fun and I really loved the sound. I made some of my best bass lines with it!

I shortly had one, and i didnt find it as immediate to use as expected. The separate sequencers for the Oscs caused some headscratching on my side. Sound was good though.

I had the Mono station, I didnā€™t sell it because it was bad, actually it was quite fun.
The sound is a bit vanilla, but itā€™s almost impossible to create bad sounds. I think the Bass station 2 offers more roughness, although the engine is the same, but the BS2 offers more sound editing. The monostation offers the modulation Matrix on the other hand.
So I donā€™t know ā€¦ Itā€™s like the A student in the class, a good friend, but you will not invite him to a wild party. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

i have a no-brainer solution ā€” multiFX pedal.
analog synth needs at least a bit of delay/reverb anyway, so why not add some more FX to the chain.

1 Like

A little ode to the classic/classy smoothness of the CMS here:

1 Like

I get this very strange stepping sound on a sustained note when ever I turn up the volume on osc 2. Everything I can think of is turned off and Iā€™ve deleted the patch, pattern etc. Retriggering envelope is also off. It only happens when the sequencer is running so definitely something coming from the sequencer. I just donā€™t understand how or what. There is no modulation or anything active. Anybody experienced this?

@VibKo Have you got Oscillator sync turned on? If so the sync output is coming from Osc 2 and the stepping could be due to a sequence in Osc 1

Strangely itā€™s not. Iā€™ve turned it on and off many times but it does not seem to change the result. It almost seems like something gets ā€œstuckā€ in the sequencer. Itā€™s also strange that when I record a sequence the sequence recorded to oscillator 2 is not always completely the same as on oscillator 1

I havenā€™t used mine in a while and Iā€™m now also experiencing a weird issue. It seems like some sort of drifting.

It happens with one of the main oscā€™s + sub osc + drive. (I have the filter fully open, resonance zero, no distortion, all envelope and lfo mods off.)

Itā€™s very audible with the saw waveform at 8ā€™ but also with other settings. Can someone try these settings?

Osc 1 at a little over half, sub at max, drive at half. This sample shows the drifting Iā€™m getting:

With osc 2 however I get a quicker toggling in and out. Same settings but now with osc 2 instead of 1 at a bit over halfway: (in the middle I turn the drive down, things go normal then)

Does anyone know whether the CMS has an auto-calibration system feature that could help here? Iā€™ve sent Novation support a message too.

(My samples might not have had the filter fully open and envelope mod at zero but they have no bearing on this, I confirmed.)