Novation Launchpad Pro Mk3

I hate that they release these videos and make no mention of how to setup the MKIII template to work nicely with Octatrack. Is there a Novation forum for custom templates online someplace?

I hadn’t realised that those templates hadn’t been shared along with the videos, how silly! I’m sure Novation/Calc have considered sharing them, maybe there’s some behind the scenes stuff they’re waiting for… Or perhaps it’s a gigantic oversight. Perhaps they expect it should be easy enough to set up via Components?

I just want to say if you’re looking to actually play the pads, get a Pro mk3 or X rather than the older Pro model.

The pads on the older Pro model are awful… I made them work for a few years because they were incrementally better than the Rytm pads I was playing before that, but they still made my fingers hurt.

The pads in the Pro mk3 (and X) are near Maschine-level in their responsiveness. I usually needed to use two fingers to get the old Pro pads to register anything, but the mk3 responds to the slightest touch. It would be worth any extra cost over the older model if that’s important to you.

I have never used a scale or chord mode on a keyboard, but I’ll say it is a fun and different way of coming up with melodic content when using the Launchpad’s scale mode. I still need a keyboard but it’s fun to kind of zone out and find patterns while looking at the pads light up as you play.

2 Likes

but you can’t use those models without a computer right?

You only need a computer to configure custom pages. The sequencer, note or chord modes are standalone :wink:

for realz???.. I thought the old LP pro was the only one that could control ext hardware without a computer?

Nope, Novation did it again !

1 Like

damn, time to take my lp pro off the front lines then, thanks for the tip… I was sure I had asked about this before on this forum too ha!

2 Likes

In chord mode can you program the saved chords pads via external midi?

So I just received my Launchpad Pro MK3 a couple of days ago and I’m having a blast. The internal sequencer is awesome, way more functional than I expected. Drum programming is a joy, more than any MPC I’ve used, and the live mutation/probability changes are super fun. I’ll have to post a vid of how I have it set up.

As for the chord mode - it’s superb. All notes from a scale are available, but so is a row of triads for each chord in the scale, and 14 custom chords can be assigned/edited at will. Those chords are saved to the preset and are stored upon powering off.

This is the Launchpad Pro we wanted when the original came out.

3 Likes

Anyone knows if it will be integrated in Bitwig soon?

1 Like

is there a spread feature on the chord function to help it sound more natural rather than everything triggered in unison?

Not yet, that’s something I’m working on in Ableton Live. The KordBot has a lovely random velocity feature which Live can emulate rather well.

• use strummer style plugins in your software
  • overdub notes in to the sequencer w/ velocity, probability, and microtiming
  • play them the good old fashioned what the say way a piano player would ( i know…this is ridiculous people have to play chords nowadays :stuck_out_tongue: )
1 Like

A for effort.

Pretty sure you can microtime individual notes in a chord…

3 Likes

Launchpad Pro Mk3 works with Bitwig via DrivenByMoss: The Site Of Jürgen Moßgraber - Software - Bitwig Studio Extensions

Install instructions: DrivenByMoss-Documentation/Installation.md at master · git-moss/DrivenByMoss-Documentation · GitHub

I put together all of the LPX diagrams in the docs found here, and I’ve been slowly working on upgrading them all for Pro Mk3: DrivenByMoss-Documentation/Novation-Launchpad.md at master · git-moss/DrivenByMoss-Documentation · GitHub

If you have any Qs about installation or how to use the extension, let me know!

1 Like

Thanks Porkloin, I installed the script and it works but I was already made to the Ableton layout and this requires some memorization of things, I wish I could have the same layout than Ableton really.

2 Likes

I agree - it’s a great fun device to use (I don’t have Ableton, I just use it as a sequencer and chord generator).

Random Order, Mutation and Probability are all much more intuitive than the equivalents on an Elektron sequencer (e.g. Analog Four) - which I actually use to create sequences, whilst recording all 4 MIDI tracks realtime onto my Analog Four or Digitone Keys.

If you glean ‘fun’ from the creation process, rather than simply focussing on achieving an end result (i.e. the finished track) then the Launchpad Pro MK3 is a useful and fun bit of kit. It complements a typical Elektron device/sequencer very nicely.

You make a very interesting point here - utilising the LPP MK3 sequencer with the Elektron sequencer. I’ve been considering hooking it up to the DT and manipulating all eight sample channels for immediate creation of breakbeats etc, recording them in and adding variation with P-locks etc. Basically I’m trying to maximise the creative potential of the two devices while minimising overlap.

I definitely glean fun from the creative process because in the end, if I don’t entertain myself in the process then the end result isn’t going to be entertaining to anyone. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes