Novation Launchpad Pro Mk3

I’ll try and draw this up/explain when I get proper time as was basically doing this with Digitone instead of the ‘takt. I was also controlling the OT! I believe I got there via a combo of MIDI settings on OT, DN and LPP plus you can change the 2nd MIDI Out on the Launchpad to behave as a Thru which I think was key - at least for me.

Think it was: OT MIDI Out to LP MIDI In, LP MIDI Out 1 to OT MIDI In, LP MIDI Out 2 to DN MIDI In. I think with LP MIDI Out 2 set as a Thru, I was able to pass clock, PC and notes from OT through to DN, while also being able to play DN manually and control CCs on both from DN.

1 Like

Just plug the launchpad to the OT midi in?

Tried. Maybe I’m missing the setting that would pass midi from the LP trough the OT to DT? I didn’t see anything in the OT midi or control settings. The DT is wide open to accept notes,ccs, channel setup is correct etc.

Thanks I’ll take another scan up through the thread and see if I can get some clues

The key might be in the LPP MIDI settings here then

1 Like

What about the Octatrack’s MIDI thru port. Isn’t is made for exactly this?

1 Like

With the OT you can pass the MIDI signals from MIDI IN to the selected MIDI Track, this works for sure.
But I remember there are other settings.

Edit: I suggest to try in one of the OT forum, the guru’s over there will instantly clear any doubts. Then if you solve, you can report the solution here, may help others.

1 Like

I see what you’re getting at now. Will give this a shot along with yokermoon’s setup. Thanks all who replied - will update

ive just realised theres a cap on the velocity. if you turn velocity off youd assume it plays full level but no it plays 96. really weird. anyone else noticed this?

Quick use question.

I want to use my LPP MK3 to sequence my SP 404 mk2. Works great. Set up the 4 sequencers as drum and then use 4 different midi channels for sequencing 64 different samples from the SP.

BUT, can I also at the same time use it as a controller for my OT. And, have the OT send midi transport start/stop to the LPP since that is sequencing the SP.

I know I can get a 2nd LPP MK3, one as a controller for the OT and one to sequence the SP and use start/stop on the OT to the 1st LPP…but just not sure if I can do that with only ONE LPP???

Thanks.

I’m super amazed at all I can do with this unit.

1. Last night was controlling both Ableton and Logic.
  2. Last week using it as a controller for the OT.
  3. A few weeks back, sending midi to my Perfourmer mk2 and using the 4 internal sequencer channels to sequence the Vermona with the Vermona’s individual outs going to different effects pedals.

So many ways to use it. Just such a great music tool.

3 Likes

I never really considered this thing. But its seems pretty great for the price

I’ve been using it for a while; as a budget Push that doesn’t swallow my entire deskspace. Made a custom mode to control the DT via Ableton, but aside from that my use has been pretty standard. Two big gripes which are annoying:

• Record only works in Session mode. I use Arrangement mode quite a bit.
  • It does not lazy chop. The push 2 does; which is a pain in the ass. OT doesn’t do it neither :frowning:
1 Like

Found a fix for the lazy chop!

3 Likes

Hi mate, just to say a massive thanks for posting this. I am on LK (rather than Launchpad) and I find the lack of lazy chopping in Ableton infuriating. (Note: this is mainly because it’s the one feature I needed that it doesn’t do out of the box, so it’s a personal gripe - but one that feels fair.) This is a godsend.

I get that they reserve this feature for Push, but I feel that this is something that should be MIDI mappable out of the box for a DAW that costs over £500, and a DAW that clearly has the capability to do it. I thought I’d searched everywhere and was SOL, so when I randomly found this post, I was so pleased. Thanks & thanks again!

1 Like

No worries! Now lets hope they implement it on the octatrack as well