Novation Launchpad Pro Mk3

Me too. I literally had 10 mins to open the thing and mess with it (10 mins including opening Sweetwater’s impeccable packaging!)

Oh right… I get it now. :laughing:

1 Like

Thanks. Mine arrived Thursday 1/30 and my Prophet 6 LFE expander module arrives Friday 1/31. It’s going to be a wild week next week.

1 Like

I’m drinking some whiskey just reading this thread. Seems legit to me.

2 Likes

I honestly think that hanging out here at Elektronauts is sometimes an oasis of calm for me, to which I sometimes actually have a fine glass of Laphroaig. It’s like I can almost hear the all the enthusiastic chatter going on in all threads, like a soothing balm for my mind. This is a place where the world’s doing just fine, for now.

10 Likes

Just love my Novation gear. Added my Keystep to the LPPm3, Circuit, Mono, Mini-xd setup and made a few tunes. So easy. Using the drums from the circuit into the LPP. Might throw in my drumbrute but there is not much room left on the table. My kid loves the lights, thinks it’s the coolest looking setup we’ve had. Now, I need to really learn all this gear to take full advantage of it. No more buying and selling!

3 Likes

I had the pleasure to use the LPPMK3 for about 2-3 hours last night (unfortunately at the beginning of my session I ran into some technical difficulties due to the usb a to USB C adaptors I use with my hub). In any case here are some initial thoughts.

• it feels lighter than I thought it would but the pads and clicky pads around the edge feel great. Really like the build quality. It’s extremely thin, so I’ll definitely be getting a case for it given how much it cost. I do wish it was metal.

• an iPad Pro 12.9 will power it without any problems. I fact it will power the LPPMK3 and a Jam+ via an unpowered hub with no problem.

• the sequencers are incredibly fun to use and easy to get something going. Very immediate. It truly is the Circuit sequencer on steroids (without the rage). The only thing I might be doing is trying to label the settings pages because it’s a bit hard to remember what’s what when you’re staring at rows of different colored lights. But it might also be easier to remember with time. But also labeling your stuff is a great idea.

• the pads feel great for playing with Aftertouch.

• you can change almost all of the settings from the device. For example, even on the custom templates you can change the MIDI channel from the device. It’s the details!

• when in sequencer mode I’m not sure that the pads send out Aftertouch. Might need more testing.

• the rows or columns as MIDI CC faders thing is weird. I couldn’t get them to respond as smoothly as Ricky Tinez did in his NAMM2020 videos but I am also not as smooth as Rocky Tinez in general.

• I’m excited to try this thing with a very simple synth, like my Korg Volca Keys.

Feel free to ask me anything, with the caveat that I won’t be able to try anything new until I have another opportunity to mess with it.

6 Likes

i know it is waaaayyy to early to ask this question, but:

to all bitwig users:
what do you think which option would be better for contrllling bitwig? this or the forthcoming nektar aura controller? i am especially looking for an appropriate controller for sampling, resampling and granular-sampling-control. i already have a very powerful hardware-sequencer, but need a good dedicated midi-controller for launching sampler-patterns etc.

Having used Bitwig in the past my knee jerk reaction is that this controller is not a good choice for that. You want something with more knobs for fine control, I would think.

2 Likes

That being said a launchpad is great for launching clips. Maybe a launchpad mini? A small grid of buttons?

I feel like we’re getting off topic…

1 Like

Any launchpad is a good choice as long as there’s a controller script available. See https://github.com/git-moss/DrivenByMoss/wiki among others.

3 Likes

not really off-topic, because i’ve seen in demo-videos that you can actually use the LPMK3 in fader-mode, but you guys are right: having a clio-launcher is a good idea in general. but i think the best thing to do is waiting to see more users here are working with them. at least it already looks like a great midi-controller for many tasks :slight_smile:

Nice set up @therockfrog can you map out various drum sounds on one of the 4 tracks? Program them into the sequencer etc?

Anyone got a chance to record demos of it yet as an external sequencer?

1 Like

Aftertouch (Channel Pressure flavor) is working fine with DigiTone. Just FYI. :smiley:

…and it’s now working with several iOS synths it was not working with last night.

6 Likes

I’ve corrected my bullet point about Aftertouch: the iOS DAW I was using (NanoStudio 2) does not support Aftertouch. Aftertouch in the LPMK3 works great!

Is it worth it if you do not use ableton at all ?

I’m only using it outside of Ableton, so…yes? :laughing:

2 Likes

Really liking this as an upgrade from my old Launchpad Pro, but I was just putting down some drums in Ableton, decided I wanted to get rid of the hi-hats, and found they got rid of the Delete button.

Saw the Clear button, press and hold that while attempting to hit the hi-hat pad, and the entire clip gets erased. I look in the manual, search “delete”, no results, go to the explanation of the Clear button to see if I’m missing something and nope, it just clears/deletes the clip. :frowning:

The hardware itself is much better than the old LPP, but as an Ableton user I feel I’m losing some immediacy in favor of its standalone sequencer functions, which is cool, and probably why many here are interested in it, but I want my Delete and dedicated Undo buttons back. Anyway, I’ll go back to enjoying making music with it now. :wink:

1 Like