Novation Peak and Tr8s outputs

hey guys, quick question:

i’m trying to record separately a Novation Peak and a Tr8s through a Motu m2 interface via audio output.

Can i use a stereo to 2 mono cable? (the 2 mono go in L/R out of the synths and the stereo into the Mutu audio input).

Thank you

I previously replied “yes” here, which is clearly wrong.
Won’t go into the details of what I misunderstood about the post.
Apologies for giving misguiding information.

You may have issues with phasing when summing the signal like that.

I believe the left Jack of the Tr8s is for mono.

So if you can just use a single balanced cable, you would be better off.

Not sure of the peak though.

Won’t work, as the input on the MOTU isn’t stereo, it’s balanced mono.

The only simple way to get both into the MOTU at the same time is to use the mono output on each or to run the Peak through the TR8S’ audio inputs (or vice versa if the peak has stereo audio inputs).

Or sack off the M2 and get something with more inputs.

guys i don’t need em at the same time, i want to record one synth and when i finished with it i go with the other one. i simply mentioned the two because maybe they got different outputs.

so i gotta use 1 balanced mono going from left/mono out of thr tr8s straight to the line in of the motu and that’s it?

The TR-8S supports audio over USB.

It’s not class-compliant, so you need to install their driver, but it can be configured as either an 8 track device with the stereo mix and 6 assignable outputs, or as a 12-track device where everything—including the external input—goes out as individual tracks.

With the latter, you could route the Novation Peak’s output through the TR8S and record everything at once.
Or you could just grab the stereo mix, if 12 tracks are more than you want to deal with.

but do you think that routing the audio over usb sent from the tr8s sound card (i don’t know its quality tbh) to a 2013 macbook air internal soundcard is better then an external dedicated soundcard like motu?

the other question is, can i for example program the peak with an external sequencer and let it be fully indipendent from the tr8s patterns i create? i know it may sound a silly question but, as i’m a noob, i prefer to ask.

Of course you can

For its own sounds, I expect that direct digital output over USB from the TR-8S will be better than capturing its analog output.

I can’t say how the external audio in/ADC compares to your MOTU interface if you were to route the Novation Peak’s audio through it.
The MOTU interface might be higher quality (less noise, more gain etc), but I don’t know if there would be a meaningful difference.

Routing the Peak’s audio through the TR-8S would not require them to be synced at all.

But you might want to sync MIDI clock (tempo) and transport commands (start/stop) - so that starting playback on one device triggers the sequencer of the other.

exactly, and i don’t know if tr8 can handle (quality wise)all the sounds made in the peak with fx etc.

That is a very easy hypothesis to test with the equipment you already have.