Novation Peak

Yep. A couple of the Legowelt patches incorporate that IIRC.

I just picked up a Peak myself, and though I really like itā€™s knobby interface, the menu diving on it is really putting me off. My main issue is the fact that I have to cycle through the different submenus one click at a time.

• There doesnā€™t seem to be any way to skip pages
  • No ability to hold the page button to cycle through them automatically. You have to manually click through each one
  • The menu system isnā€™t even cyclical! Meaning if you reach page 9/9, and want to go to page 1/9, you have to go allllll the way back through each page.

Am I missing something or is this just how it is?

5 Likes

I agree with you to some degree, the second two points you made are excellent. I donā€™t really find the menus to be a problem at all, since it it a ā€œflatā€ menu layout and I know it very well, it only takes me a second to get where I need. HOWEVER it would be much better if they were cyclical and would auto-scroll when held. I read one of your posts earlier saying the page buttons would be worn out within a year, and I can tell you itā€™s not actually an issue, I used my Peak for years very heavily with no trouble, the buttons can probably handle millions of presses so itā€™s unlikely that you could wear them out in 20 years, BUT like I said I totally agree that the behavior should change as it is mildly annoying to click all the way back to page 1 from page 9 or whatever.

2 Likes

The select buttons being worn out within a year was a bit hyperbolic on my part I admit. I have owned a couple of Virus synths that have a similar menu navigation setup (though they do have a shift function to skip multiple pages, and the menu does cycle), and on both a TI and a B I had page select buttons that would be unresponsive or would skip 2 pages when pressed only once.

Shame to hear this is currently just how the menu system is implemented. Sadly it is a dealbreaker for me so Iā€™ll be putting my Peak up for sale. Iā€™ll keep an eye out for another update that makes the menus easier to navigate. Novation is really good when it comes to supporting their devices so I wouldnā€™t be surprised if they do improve it down the line.

Ah dude I think youā€™re being premature with the sale, youā€™ll become so quick with it as you use it and the menu system is really fast overall, you hunt a lot in the beginning but as it becomes second nature youā€™ll zip right to the correct page pretty instantly. It will cost you a grip to ship the Peak (I just shipped one) just to potentially re-buy later, just a waste of money really. Just consider it a learning curve. Yes I agree about the cyclical thing and the scroll thing butā€¦ your fingers can click those buttons pretty damn quickly! When Iā€™m in the menu navigating to the item I want my clicks are machinegun-like :rofl:

5 Likes

Yeah this really doesnā€™t bother me at all and Iā€™m quite picky about these things. Iā€™d suggest holding on a bit longer to see if it really is an issue if you can!

1 Like

You must have been pretty good at Track & Field Arcade game.

You can consider me the Master Takahashi of the synth world.

1 Like

Iā€™m not in a hurry to sell it, but my first impressions arenā€™t very good. I feel like most of the interesting settings are somewhere in one of the submenus, and I find it very unintuitive and slow to go through. When Iā€™m comparing its menu diving disfavorably to a Virus, you know somethingā€™s not right.

I sent my feedback to Novation, but Iā€™ll probably just get a noncommital response. Iā€™ll probably give it another week or two and see how I feel. Maybe some Noisia wavetables will cheer me up :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

This is fast!

1 Like

Iā€™m even faster, just donā€™t ask me to prove it!

1 Like

Youā€™re so fast the your hand or fingers look static. So itā€™s impossible to prove.

1 Like

Something you might not realize yet is that adjusting certain panel settings will automatically pull up the corresponding menu page, which makes navigating much easier in those circumstances. The wavetable is a good example, once you navigate to More it automatically brings up the menu page to select the table.

1 Like

That would be sweet if more widely implemented! Hold page, wiggle LFO 2 and go straight to the setup page for LFO2

Donā€™t think the Peak does that for anything besides wave tables?

1 Like

The Summit also does it for the additional filter configurations, and I think there is at least one more setting that works like that on the Peak. The tables and the filter types are the main things you would want to operate like that as it would be pretty annoying if you had to actually manually navigate there each time you select the ā€œmoreā€ option.

Yeah and once set, if you want to edit it you either press Osc shape 5 times or go to the Osc menu and go to page 3, 5 or 7 depending on the Osc you want to edit.

But Mod Env 2 to pitch really required those 3 dedicated knobs for some reason.

1 Like

Is this a criticism of that behavior? I mean, the reality is that itā€™s an extremely deep synth and with more options comes more button pressesā€¦ and yeah I can say from experience that the dedicated Mod Env 2 to Pitch is HUGELY appreciated when working with FM sounds and sync sounds, it is crucial that those are there. If you think those knobs are wasted spaceā€¦ you definitely should spend some time getting to know the Peak better.

2 Likes

@tdmusic, @Hawk, sorry for being so grumpy last night. Iā€™ve given it a second go, this time embracing the layout. I think I was comparing it too much to the Prophet 12, which just has such a different design philosophy. I still find the menu navigation a little bit cumbersome, but Iā€™ve since discovered where all the juicy settings are.

I think the sound itself is really starting to win me over. It has this character that I would describe as ā€˜liquidā€™. Itā€™s ultra smooth. Iā€™ve been making a bunch of patches on it, but my favourites are all sparkly pads. Hereā€™s a few sounds I made this morning

I still think the hardrouted mod knobs couldā€™ve been done away with in favour of FM or Sync settings on the front panel :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7 Likes

Yea the Summit definitely wins on knob layout, but I do find it relatively rare that I need to enter the menus. A Hydrasynth-esque quick modulation mapping setup system would be nice as thatā€™s the one menu I do use a lot, at least all the settings are on one screen now.

3 Likes

My favorite, so clever.