Novation Peak

Try patch A42… and will talk after :wink:
I just wonder if Bass Station packs the same power…
Are oscillators the same in both synths?

No, the BS2 has analogue oscillators, the Peak’s are digital (FPGA) wavetables (heavily over sampled). In fact one of the waveforms is a sine wave sampled from the BS2.

The architectures are fairly different but the filters are related so there is some shared character.

I have both Peak and BS2 (actually AFX Station) but only the Peak is out & hooked up right now. If no one else can, I’ll see if I can find a bit of time to record a comparison and/or remake that Peak patch.

2 Likes

No they’re not.

That would be so so great! Thanks a lot!!
It will help me a great deal. :slight_smile:

I have both peak and BS2. Yes BS2 can get deep bass. It lacks all of the modulation but still can hold its own. For the price, everyone should own a BS2.

3 Likes

Could u try making patch A42-Todd Bass from Peak to the BAss Station ll? Thank you so much in advance!

I tried to post a video but you can’t add video here. That patch is just a saw wave through a closed filter with an envelope opening it. You would have no problem recreating that patch on bass station 2. I got it sounding real close in about 15 seconds of trying.

1 Like

Question is if it has the same weight, deepness, rawness as the one on Peak.

I’ve tried it it sounds good but it still sounds digital, not as huge as the
the moog sub phatty because it is pretty much designed for low bass,
it’s in the name…

Yes. It is weighty on the low end. Very analog sounding. I dialed in that patch no problem. I refined the patch and it sounded identical. I asked my girlfriend if she could tell the difference and she thought I was playing tue same synth the whole time. It is the same filter as the peak. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

2 Likes

Ambient pad I made on the Peak. No external processing all Peak. Sequenced on the Maschine +

https://youtu.be/81vNcrD2spI

3 Likes

Thanks a lot my friend!! Greatly appreciated!!
If ever need anything please shoot :wink:

1 Like

Novation themself says… no.

Can anyone clarify?

Are you sure? The mod matrix includes the following destinations:

Oscillator 1 level
Oscillator 2 level
Oscillator 3 level
VCA level

Positive modulation values applied to those destinations will raise their values above zero.

Yes, LFO’s can modulate OSC level.
Have just checked using Peak: Set OSC 1 Level to 0; MOD: SRC: LFO+; DEST: OSC1 Lev; DEPTH: +63. Sounds pulses in time with LFO

2 Likes

I can clarify that if you use LFO + (rather than +/-) in the mod matrix attach it to an Osc level with a positive depth value, then turn the Osc volume pot down the LFO will open up the volume of that Osc.

The same is true in reverse with the volume pot up and the Mod Matrix depth to minus values.

3 Likes

Yep, I can confirm this LFO behavior. Applying it to the VCA means the sound opens without even playing a note!

That being said, I sold my Peak this past week. The sounds and workflow weren’t what I was seeking. I didn’t have the self-control to not smother everything with that gorgeous reverb :sweat_smile:

I went through and picked a few of my favorite patches to save/share if anyone is interested :slight_smile: [I also recorded what they sound like but don’t feel like using up Soundcloud space for that so it’s gonna remain a mystery] Maybe figured out how to link audio via Dropbox :ok_hand:t3: sounds appear in the order listed

Woodard.syx (527 Bytes)
Forest ChangeBP.syx (527 Bytes)
Dirty Pagan.syx (527 Bytes)
Rhod Super4.syx (527 Bytes)
Tri4 Pad.syx (527 Bytes)
Plink.syx (527 Bytes)

4 Likes

:100:

I have this problem with both my Peak and the Micromonsta 2. I’ve decided to give in and try to corner the market on planetarium soundtracks.

3 Likes

Damn that reverb! It’s such a *****!

1 Like

That’s cool, so you can make the Peak drone without any MIDI.