Novation Peak

I just tried going back to a patch (after invountarily leaving it) by pressing “Patch” once again on the one I was working on, and the Peak does not remember the unsaved state.
It’s also now been blinking for a good 3 minutes, so this feature seems indeed like not much more than a pretty blunt “told you so” :laughing:

Yeah, the point of it is to stop you from accidentally switching patches by bumping the patch knob (which is, sadly, right in the way of the save button). It does this by requiring a second “are you sure” step — clicking the flashing patch button. If you both “cue” a new patch with the knob and click the patch button to load it, all your changes will be lost just as before.

2 Likes

Free wavetables for Peak/Summit

3 Likes

So I came back to my Peak after not using it much for a couple months, and I can’t tell if something is fucked from the 2.0 update, or if I’ve been spoiled by Sequential’s filters. Something about the resonance on the Peak sounds flat-out bad now, with serious stepping while sweeping the filter at very high cutoff values. It also sounds… weirdly thin and kind of harsh to me now, which is not a complaint I ever had prior to the last couple months.

It shouldn’t do stepping, since the filter is analog?

1 Like

Digitally controlled though.
Stepping artifacts can occur depending on the control resolution. It can be more noticeable in higher registers indeed. I haven’t heard it on the Peak, but I’m sure you can get it to step noticeably if you crank the resonance…

1 Like

I think you’re hearing a harmonic series picked out by the resonant peak, sometimes people mistake it for stepping.

6 Likes

Yup but the peak has FPGA processors that are very powerful, instead of DSP. And then paired with analog filters. I would be surprised if it did stepping? Haven’t heard it myself anyway

FPGA is only handling the oscillators DDS I believe.

There’s another microcontroller that handles parameter controls, patch management, MIDI etc.

Moot point though, I don’t think there is a resolution or smoothing problem. Couldn’t replicate any actual stepping myself.

Usually you hear people complaining that there is too much smoothing. :joy:

It’s NOT stepping at all. It has a very high resolution and smoothing.

3 Likes

Exactly.

That’s what I was afraid of. I don’t remember having problems like this even at max resonance. Looks like it’s time to log a support ticket!

1 Like

From the product page ”the FPGA is a single processor on which many functions can run — from oscillators to the modulation matrix”

It does sounds like the FPGA handles filter modulation to me

Could be.

Try recalibrating

3 Likes

Update: recalibrating twice seemed to fix the oscs, but the filter/resonance still sounds weird. I’ll upload a sample later - I’m genuinely wondering if I just forgot how the resonance sounds.

1 Like

after buying and absolutely falling in love with the Waldorf M, despite having no desire for wavetable synthesis in general, and subsequently selling that and buying a prophet 12 desktop, i decided to try the peak again

the waldorf m is an entirely different league. its probably the most awe inspiring sound i’ve ever heard anywhere. the crunchy 16 bit wavetables through that analog filter with the asic bug and derez is unreal sounding. but it didnt make sense for me to have such a unique sounding synth when i was mostly just using the normal waveshape oscillators for emulating analog sounds to fit in mixes. (they sounded incredible as well). and while the peak doesnt really sound anything like the M, which feels organic in its own way, like a truly ineffable quality where its an obvious digital core which has its own raw gritty texture being perfectly enhanced and polished by it’s filters and vcas, i am really appreciating it for what it can do. not really as a wavetable synth

the problem was that i got so used to taking extremely rough, strong and rich raw sounding vco tones and morphing them into something musical, that by the time i tried some hybrid synths and digital poly’s, they just seemed so weak and pointless to me. but after the M, and then the P12, i thought i was ready to give the peak another chance. I really love the p12 sound, but i remembered the Peak being very easy to make “pretty” and clean sounds with

it actually excels at analog emulations, as others have already stated. i was pretty surprised this time around. It is a great sounding synth. I assume i was a. mixing it poorly with the rest of my signal chain, and b. approaching my sound design & patching workflow differently, being used to working with those raw vco timbres for so long and sculpting those into something “alive” but also musical. maybe i had the same problem @m0ld was having, with that first unit. it sounds completely different to me this time around. way better, whatever it is

digital oscillators still feel less “alive”. its a tiny bit like controlling a softsynth with a midi controller. like theres a slight disconnect, where it doesnt feel as mechanical and “real” as an analog synth to me sometimes, but its also true that you can get to places that just arent possible with (almost) fully analog polysynths.

so i wanted to retract my previous comments on the Peak. i really trashed it in here. but im a pretty big fan now. i still think theres a difference in the core tone vs something like a take-5, but it is very capable of producing beautiful warm timbres and more interesting characteristics overall at times.
also sounds pretty great through the new styrmon deco. and although, they are pretty similar spec-wise, its a really good compliment to the p12 desktop

one thing i remember missing was the pure lpf sound of modulating the filter freq with a sharp angled looping envelope, and hearing that “thudding” tactile texture. something about that ratcheting quick looping filter modulation (rival consoles-style) on a digital saw is so good. sounds like plastic or something. the p12 is very similar in that regard

12 Likes

Worth noting that there is a new 2.1 firmware out for the Peak and Summit: https://twitter.com/WeAreNovation/status/1554483164013289473 I only found out about it because I connected my Peak to Components. No new features (unlike the awesome 2.0 update), it’s mostly bug fixes

5 Likes

there’s at least one small feature added in 2.1 actually… not much, mind you, it is mostly bug fixes like you said (yay!), but a couple of options with the delay are new that weren’t in 2.0:

Switchable Delay Modes
We’ve added two new delay modes and a new Output setting to the Delay FX
settings.
• Original - the original delay; one delay time with a left tap time and a right
tap time.
• CrossFed - the left input feeds the right delay and the right input feeds the
left delay, similar to ping pong delay but incorporates left, right & central
panning.
• Dual - Each side of the delay has it’s own delay time equal to the tap
time. This effect starts to distinguish itself from Orginal when Feedback is
introduced.
Output is a switch to choose where the delay output is picked from. Either from the
delay output (PreDamp), or from the delay filter output (PostDamp).
For the Original delay style, PostDamp monos the delay and only gives the longest
delay tap time.
For the CrossFed and Dual delay styles PostDamp gives you the ability to hear the
first delay and filter in stereo.

mentioning so no one misses them :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Speaking of the (now older) firmware update, this is another nice video on some of the features introduced in 2.0.

2 Likes