Novation Summit

I do! Feels pretty extravagant, I should probably sell the Peak, or maybe a different synth if I want to justify owning both.

2 Likes

I’d challenge that and say it doesn’t have the character of the P12. But I wouldn’t know cause I didn’t play the Peak or Summit :blush: but facts shouldn’t always have to cloud an
opinion, on the other hand.

2 Likes

How are you enjoying your Peak? Any good patch tips you’ve come up with lately? I’ve been making lots of patches with the looping envelopes affected by velocity for super fun expressiveness, getting the thresholds dialed in so the changes occur at just the right velocity levels is really satisfying.

here ya go: (not a fan of sp*tify either so all good)

3 Likes

So, my theory (that no one asked for) with this aspect of the Peak/Summit is that this is the direct result of Chris Huggett’s design expertise, the decades of experience designing synths. It’s the way it always seems to be working with you. The logical layout, the routings, limits and options, the fx, how it all responds - it’s really a pleasure to use and feels very creative. I don’t think that comes across at all in demos, you have to use one in a musical context to grok that.

One thing that I really appreciate that stems from this is the way that you can either have a specific idea for a patch and very quickly implement it (because the structure is so logical), or you can just start experimenting, go with the flow and end up in all kinds of wild places.

/(un)paid shill

7 Likes

Shame it doesn’t have MPE would make it a no brainier then.

Eh it’s already a no-brainer in my opinion, would be very curious to see what an MPE implementation would bring in the hands of someone skilled. You can make patches with tons of morphing behavior, that give very different results based on velocity, with a lot more timbral variety available in a patch using the mod wheel/mod matrix effectively. Also, the aftertouch feels good and is easy to assign.

The only benefit I could really see even after the explanations is maybe per-note pitch bending on evolving pad sounds, but otherwise, I don’t really know what an MPE implementation could improve about the synth.

Maybe post a video of a similar polysynth using MPE effectively to really convince me? My only restriction is
 no pads!

1 Like

It just gives you more hands on control. Defiantly great without it , just would be even better with it!

I feel you. Do you know of a good video that shows a nice MPE implementation off?

So when’s a good time for me to bring in George Clooney in this thread as well?

4 Likes

He’s been here this whole time

2 Likes

I quite like this video. Osmose E is on my ÂŁÂŁ list
1 Like

Nice, I liked the video too but I didn’t see anything in there that couldn’t be done on a standard keyboard. I am going to go look on YT now for some examples of MPE though, pitch-bend per note specifically sounds like it could be a really nice thing to have. I wonder if it would be even possible to implement on Summit?

1 Like

I definitely understand people wanting MPE, but it is more complicated than that.

First, the keyboard on Summit is not compatible (by design, for a more normal keyboard experience), and with Peak, you’d need a special controller that supported it.

Second, it greatly increases the complexity of the MIDI implementation
 it talks across multiple channels, one for each note, so MPE-mode would suddenly make the Summit/Peak very unfriendly to most MIDI setups.

Third, the general patch design would have to change quite a bit
 a bunch of new modulation options, and I’m not sure if the processors are powerful enough. They already squeezed in multiple new LFOs and an effects mod matrix. If they had more headroom, they would probably have added even more LFOs. I definitely wouldn’t want added latency to the device.

Mostly, I think it seems simple to ask for MPE on a feature list, but MPE is just much more specialized than some simple feature add-on. Without MPE, you already have dozens of modulation capabilities, and something like a Touché with Peak can do just as much.

MPE is mostly only going to be available with devices that are designed for it from the get-go, like the Osmose E, and even that is experimental. If it isn’t successful, it very well may not get more adoption. We are already seeing Roli fall into bankruptcy.

5 Likes

Great suggestion touchĂ© would help a lot. It’s just the ability to do it while playing. Oh well. I’m aware it won’t be implemented as they’d need a new keyboard entirely. But it’s not as complex as you think. I even have a eurorack module that allows for it. It just mightn’t make sense considering the built in keyboard. Regardless a great synth mind!
I know how to solve this

D beams.

1 Like

I don’t know, I’ve heard that the Summit does a better P12 than the P12 itself.

4 Likes

For years the P12 keyboard was my dream synth, but when I finally got one I felt let down. Admittedly, I didn’t give it much time before returning it. The summit is what I wanted in the P12. I haven’t had it all that long too and dealt with a defective unit, but to me the Summit feels like a forever synth. I’m loving it.

2 Likes

Quick question, does LFO 3 and 4 on the Summit apply to both timbres still or per timbre?

What you describe is closer to poly aftertouch.

As said in the thread before Mpe is highly dependant on the layout of the circuit/patch/whatever and the control surface.

With mpe you could potentially have a 3 notes chord where fundamental would slowly bend down linearly while opening a filter whereas the third will get an increasing tremolo and the third scanning trhu a wavetable while bending up and increasing vibrato

To fully exploit Mpe you need to have a hell of a synth because each voice/note could potentially need access to each component of the patch independently from the others
A bit different from poly aftertouch

With a standard keybed, I don’t really see the point of sending mpe which will be limited to one parameter. Usefullness of receiving mpe is highly debatable depending on the hardware, software architecture

Best way to experiment mpe for me has been my 8 monthes with a continuum, the playing surface clearly relates and when connecting to something like tardigrain, which have virtually no limit in its architecture on ipad, it was really interesting and different from what I experimented whit a classic controller.

I do not expect the same level of expressivity with osmose because it will definitly lack the “Y” dimension which will be replaced by a sort of dual “Z” which will be mutually exclusive. ( The deepest key course will be accessible only after travelling thru the entire first half )

IMHO, of course. :slightly_smiling_face:

MPE is really not that special. It is just a rebranding of a standard midi mode from 1983. But it requires a kind of multitimbral mode, but with all set to same patch. All midi guitar compatible stuff is working just the same way as MPE. Thats the reason some old gear works fine with modern MPE controllers.

What it did was making the pitch bend distance correspond with the pitch of the notes.

I have never tried MPE, but poly aftertouch really opened up the Peak for me. But my keyboard is so incredibly hard to play, so i get sore fingers after a couple of minutes. hehe.

1 Like