Observations from 1 month with the Make Noise Shared System

Uh, are we one the same planet even? :wink:

1 Like

Good job choosing the Serge VCFQ ! Probably my favorite filter EVER :wink:

2 Likes

@ZenPunkHippy Hahah reading that back now it does sound a little absurd. But it has worked for me before. When I wanted a quantizer, I remembered Pam’s has a quantizer built in. When I feel curious about the 0-CTRL, I can whip up my own version with Brains, Pressure Points and a switch. So, you know, it kinda works to stave off the GAS sometimes (rarely).

@Stazma VCFQ is amazing! I mostly use it for filter pings (the Trig input is a miracle). I need to experiment with the Lo frequency mode a lot more, seems like there are a ton of interesting possibilities to use it as a modulation source.

2 Likes

Indeed you use the trig input the same way than in audio but it will result is sort of “one shot LFO”, if you feedback some of the filter output into an FM input it will change the waveform from Sine to other stuff. Lot’s of fun to be had with this thing.

1 Like

Recorded a jam for y’all today, using the modular and Rytm. Tried to make something less bleep/bloopy and more worthy of booty shakin, let me know if it gets you on your feet.

7 Likes

Wait, you are actually using VCFQ as a filter, can you do that?

3 Likes

I’m as shocked as you are!

1 Like

V cool! I enjoyed that a lot. MOAR PLS! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Some fun tips and tricks with the Morphagene inside the Shared System echosystem :wink:

1 Like

Okay I know it’s a year later but I have to say - as someone new to modular that just put all his chips on a new MNSS+, this thread was a real inspiration. I love seeing how your journey went month over month, the a-ha! moments. I foresee a lot of patch cable (cognitive) dissonance in my future, but I’m just going to enjoy the ride and reference this for all the good advice + links. Any good books you used as reference? I know YT is modern research (yes, I’m subscribed to the MN channel already!), but I sometimes like a good old paperback to work through. Thanks for this!!

4 Likes

This is awesome, very happy to hear this thread is still useful — and hey, welcome to Elektronauts and congrats on your new Shared System!

I haven’t read any good books on these subjects (would love to), but I can recommend this document written by my friend @plragde here — A Functional Introduction to Modular Synthesis. This has a solid breakdown of core concepts that apply across the Shared System and beyond. It’s an excellent roadmap to get to those “aha!” moments sooner than later.

I’d also recommend checking out the Your Modulars thread — we’ve got a lot of modular heads in here, and this community in general is extremely knowledgable and helpful, so be sure to jump in with any questions or thoughts that come up.

I’m still over here patching away on my system, still learning all the time and finding new possibilities to explore. It’s a super rewarding journey, I hope you find it to be the same for you.

2 Likes

Such a great instrument. I still have about 99.9 percent of figuring this thing out to go but it’s fun to learn and super inspiring. Just stumbled upon this thread and figured I might as well share some songs I’ve made with mine… all hip hop if anyone needs that bit of info before watching or not.

• first vid was an experiment on using the Morphagene organize knob to select drum slices on the fly, thus the disjointed breakbeat feel… an external sampler is running a sequence through the Shared system fx while the DPO is being played via pressure points… an Elektron syntakt provides bass and another synth voice.

• second joint I just released today… this one was mostly made with samples on koala (phone app) but I have some haunting background samples running through morphagene over the whole thing.

• third one was one-take of a performance but then I added vocals and beefed it up just a tiny bit with post-processing. Started with a MN tutorial about making arpeggios and then tweaked to my liking… played the melody on pressure points while the morphogene was looping the drums.

3 Likes