Octatone merging

Are you trying to use the Program Change method or the Note-to-Multi Map method?

What I’d like to do is have OT Part 1 trigger bank A01 on the DN, Part 2 trigger bank A02, and so on throughout. Do I need to use the MIDI note function via Multimap instead of the Program change receive? Do I turn OFF program change send on the OT and leave it ON on the DN?

You should try the Program Change method first, in which case you would not use Multi Map.

Yes.

Awesome.

Also, just to clarify, Part 1 is assigned to patterns A01-A04 on the OT, Part 2 is A05-A08, Part 3 is A09-A12, and Part 4 is A13-A16. Each bank will reflect the same thing. DN A01 would be Part 1, A02 Part 2, and so on. What would the MIDI NOTE setting on the OT be to make that happen? Much love, Peter!

Would A01 on the DN be Bank 0 Prog 0? A02 would be Bank 0 Prog 1 or Bank 1 Prog 0?

If you’re asking which Program Change message do you set up in the MIDI Note Setup page of the OT’s MIDI sequencer track then:

• pattern A01 on the DN is called using Program Change value 0,
  • pattern A02 on the DN is called using Program Change value 1,
  • pattern B01 on the DN is called using Program Change value 16,
    etc.

No MIDI Note messages need be sent.

1 Like

Thanks! Do I need to worry about the Bank? You’re an insane plethora of Elektron knowledge :slight_smile:

Related question to this situation.

Is it possible to use OT (as master) and DN in Turbo mode with a midi-merger added in between to add a midi-controller to control certain parameters on OT?

So DN midi out to midi merge in
midi controller to midi merge in
midi merge out to OT midi in
OT midi out to DN midi in.

Cheers

No. There’s no need to use the Bank parameter because the Program Change message has enough values (0 to 127) to cover all the DN’s patterns.

No. It’s all in the manuals.

4 Likes

Yes. Not sure if Turbo mode is necessary or useful.

2 Likes

It should be possible to do WITHOUT using Turbo mode. Turbo mode will likely not be supported by a MIDI merger, but someone should try in order to confirm that.

2 Likes

Thanks.
The reason I’d like to use Turbo mode is, in my understanding, that midi cc is send way faster. Currently I use DT to send a one-shot midi lfo to mod-wheel of the DN for instance with rythmic triggers. And the thing I notice is that it is a bit “slow” sometimes. So in stead of sending a value of 127 each beat it will send 80 each beat. When I set the multiplier of the LFO slower it will hit 127.
I thought maybe turbo mode could solve this. But I also want to add a midi controller into the loop :slight_smile:

But myeah, don’t want to spend 75 euro for a merger if turbo mode won’t work with a merger.

Without any other gear, you could at least try Turbo mode to see whether it solves this problem.

If it doesn’t, you wouldn’t need to worry about a merger’s compatibility with Turbo mode.

2 Likes

Yeap Certainly. If all goes well I can pick up the octa in an hour or so. :wink:

2 Likes

Ah, but you actually UNDERSTAND the manuals! No joke, I’ve read them a million times. I have a binder of them sitting next to my studio desk as I try and work through this.

@PeterHanes I got it to work. It doesn’t switch patterns on the DN until the following cycle, but I have all my lengths set to 2 so it happens almost immediately, and with the way I’m planning to do transitions, it’ll all work out fine. Thanks!

Here’s another thought. With the OT controlling the DN, the DN mutes no longer seem to work, which means you need to mute everything at once on the OT. Am I missing something in one of the DN mute modes that will mute even if there’s incoming MIDI? I know I can also mute the individual MIDI channels on the OT, and that works most of the time, but there are certain times a mute is needed that the OT won’t do properly (muting in the middle of a long note, for example).

2 Likes