Octatrack 1.40

The other boxes that have p-locks on, on an element are not affected by p-locks. I remember this being a complaint from some.

I found a werk around. So no biggie.
I guess it just depends on the way you like it.

I was using it to select samples on a morphagene. And I wanted some trigs to remain fixed. And some to randomize. I DID NOT check to see if the randomization on the p-locked trig started from the locked value.

Anyways. Doesn’t matter. Have a solution.

What DOES matter…MIDI retrigs.

It’s an option in Personalize menu.
It concerns midi tracks only, with grid recording on.

EXT LEN GRID-REC will when checked include note length data when using an external MIDI device to record to a MIDI track in GRID RECORDING mode.

4 Likes

I would love to see randomization of individual trigs per page. Something like trig + page + yes

5 Likes

Another thing would have been nice:

• streamlining the sampling process (it’s a sampler, innit?)

It is very complicated to simply sample mono samples from a drum machine or synth and monitor it at the same time. It somehow works with pickup machines or thru machines and the secret knowledge that you can use the recorder of a thru track (and set that recorder(!) to A). The audio editor in this case hides behind the third record button (edit this recording). And triggering is with the FUNC+YES combo.

Same for me. Not really interested in global track randomization. You can plock several randomizations for several trigs, but it’s pretty boring to do.

3 Likes

:+1:t6: :+1:t6: :+1:t6:

But it’s really cool to explore and use some Fx’s that I do not use in my habit.
And ressample :spider_web:

They “fixed” the way midi input affected setting up midi tracks. So before you could go into grid record. Hold a trig and then hit a note on your keyboard controller the length would be set by how long you held the keys. This isn’t normally how the modern boxes function. Holding keys doesn’t affect the length of the trig you’re editing. They put the ability to use the old way in the personalize menu.

3 Likes

I think this update makes the octatrack my favorite piece of hardware. They took some of the best things about the digitakt and added them. I’ve already come up with so many new ideas using the randomize feature and tempo per pattern capabilities. I think this is probably the best “idea machine” you can currently get. If you are ever lacking for inspiration turn this thing on for 30 minutes and start messing with samples. I bet you come up with a few really cool ideas. Well done elektron!

4 Likes

I LOVE LOVE LOVE…trig preview on the MIDI tracks. Elektron :+1:t6:

12 Likes

What about like page then trig(s) then yes

So like for example. Comb on fx1

Hold fx1 and then hold trig 1,5,7,13 and hit yes Each trig get Locked with a randomization of the comb filter page. That’d be slick

Or just page + trig no need for yes

1 Like

Get there before he changes his mind.

Thank you so much for this awesome update @Elektron!! You guys are the best!

9 Likes

(Thinking) “Would my life be better, if I used positive reinforcement only and all the time, too? I wonder what his daytime-job is - PR maybe, or HR… But how should they (elektron) know that the sampling procedure is … improvable if we just kept telling them what wunderkind they are… wait, that reminds me of something…?” :wink: (Just kidding, like your channel and your friendly way, esp. your skills in delivering criticism with a lot of honey like in that subharmonicon episode. Cheers!

1 Like

Right. I tried it in absolute darkness - then the lowest setting is pleasant. Intense experience, too. That way the gray octatracks are black, too. Although here the saying is: at night all cats are gray… but that might be true for cats only :wink:

2 Likes

LoL thanks bro :rofl:

I didn’t have time right know to test but I wonder if conditionnal trigs are taken into account with trig preview?

I’m not sure I understand, but if you meant, say, having a percentage TRC, it won’t apply that percentage to pressing Trig + Yes, as that would be super annoying for lower percentages!

5 Likes

You understood well Craig.
Ok good to know!
Thx

1 Like

I don’t see any reason why Trig preview would take into consideration Conditional Trig or Probability.

4 Likes