Octatrack 1.40

korg taktile 49

1 Like

You can do with flex machine and cue.

Scale per track works like last step, doesn’t it?

Works with a hack, unstable. Not enough dsp power apparently.

Would be cool. Lfo in trig mode basically gives similar function.

You mean DIR setting? Much less gain compared to mk1? On a thru machine we have input vol, amp vol, track level and comp with its massive gain.

Well I think it’s actually pretty nice that way, because for example, you can have one scene locked and the other randomizing away, but you can always morph between the states with the xfader, etc. Your solution of locking the LFO is actually what I would do too.

Sort of, yes.

No. Active step lets you select any (!) steps to be active or inactive, even if not connected. Very fast reconstruction of tracks. Last step is not even close.

Perhaps an option to choose to have reverb on FX1 or FX2?

I mean, even with DIR +63 on AB input the recorded sample is much too quiet when sampling directly from synths or drum machines (and not from a mixer). That is especially an issue when working with 16-bit. Those quiet samples have much less bit-depth, what you can see when importing them to another device like MPC or Maschine. Does not matter if you can gain the degraded sample later in the chain, it’s about the quality of the initial sample.

1 Like

Ah, sorry. I confused last step with active step.

Yeah, active step is a very nice performance feature indeed…I like to set trigs on midi tracks to off (turn velocity down), on audio tracks trigless trigs work as mute, but yeah, not the same thing.

That would ne nice! If we select reverb on FX1 it’s greyed out on FX2 or something like that.

I see. No problems with input gain on my mk1. Sampling directly from synths most of the time.

Pretty fair assessment, for active step kind of behaviour (although I prefer it to AS) you can use resampling/scenes - definitely not remotely the same in operation, but the end result can be similar or much more interesting than active step, if a bit more in depth to set up.

But like you said

Which I agree with, and having tried most of the other modern sampling sequencers have come to the conclusion that OT is still my favourite, quirks and all.
Some things are so effortless that are not really possible on other stuff.

Deluge is another one, idiosyncratic but good enough where it counts to justify owning.

1 Like

Tempo per pattern & slices / slots over midi is huge, thank you!

Any idea if it is / it will be possible to have velocity from midi input mapped to AMP vol without a midi processor?

Feel like that’d be a handy option to turn off / on for lots of people

Also, would be cool to have quantise on live recording of slots / slices as an option too, last I checked it was only an option for playback

Either way, awesome update. Thanks for keeping the MK1s alive!

1 Like

Ace story! thanks for sharing :ok_hand:

i love this setting. perfect for playing in that dank pitch black octacrypt where hector lives

5 Likes

Indeed. He used Hermann Seib’s Wavesim as his PPG Wave and Paula Maddox’s virtual Waveterm, if I recall correctly.

1 Like

my OT is still broken :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I couldn’t say for sure but I think it is unticked by default… but just like yourself I had it set to preview without fx for auditioning replacement samples or slots. Would not surprise me if a fair few “veteran” users had it set that way. :grin:

Getting detail and movement into patterns is soooo slick now… I’m very happy… :blush:

1 Like

Seems like it is unticked by default, at least it was for me after an Empty Reset followed by firmware update.

2 Likes

Yeah, could be!

checking out the new OS here

9 Likes

Love seeing @Gaz get so chuffed about the update! And nice to see a video demonstration off the bat that shows the new LED brightness settings.

It’s a feature I absolutely love on my MS, and it is great for saving battery life if using a battery pack on MS, so I imagine it would also save some battery if you go that route with your OT MK2

6 Likes

Ok, not sure about how the trig note length feature works as Gaz mentioned it at the end but didn’t demonstrate. Does that mean the AMP page and using envelope decay can be recorded playing back samples sequenced using the trigs in live record mode? Because at this point you can put amp decay on a sample but when it plays the sample back in a sequence the decay is not applied and the sample just plays out. I thought that this feature was allowing it to now be applied by recording the note length inputed, no?

Otherwise really impressed with this update, everyone at Elektron I and every OT owner can’t thank you enough for your amazing work and developments over the years.

Even if this doesn’t turn out to be the case of the feature mentioned I hope your developing a beefed up keyboard version that can operate as a true polyphonic sample based synth as well as everything you’ve accomplished not only with the OT, but I’d even say an expandable system that allows you to import machines from other legacy devices? I’d probably never afford it but.

Is Merlins guide still useful enough or is it a bit dated after all these firmware updates?

2 Likes

That was fun.

1 Like

Merlin’s thoughts are only a very basic introduction to some concepts and features of the OT and so the small tweaks in recent OS revisions make no difference to the document’s utility.

13 Likes