Octatrack 1.40

Oops. Meant TRACKS!

Stupid question probably but do you let the bin file on your card once you did the update ? :slight_smile:

You can do. It doesn‘t do any harm. In fact it might even put you in a position to help a fellow Elektronaut out with an older firmware. I don‘t think downgrading is supported, but such requests are not unheard of.

1 Like

Never though I’ll get a reply from Hans Olo. hehe
Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have always left the file on the card. However, one user recently reported that deleting the file solved some problems they were experiencing.

3 Likes

I do.

1 Like

was reading the recent fw notes file
there was a part where it said to hold down the “Track Parameter Key” to view the values

what do they mean by that and what key(s) are they referring to??

thank you

If you hold down SRC, AMP, LFO, FX1 or FX2, you will see the value for each Parameter on the corresponding page.

2 Likes

dope, thank you

But thats not new AFAIR…?

the answer is in the release notes:

MK1 and MK2

4 Likes

Yes so it was added to MK1 now?

No. it didn’t exist on either. Otherwise that note in the release notes would have the prefix [MKI]

This was added to both MKI and MKII, for the first time, with OS 1.40

3 Likes

Ah, we’re talking about Trig modes. I’m rarely in the Tracks mode and in Quick Mute mode they are always visible.

Yeah, wow … so now we have “MIDI scenes” that you can trigger live with trig previews.

The way I am doing this now is: set Velocity=Off on the Note page, keep the MIDI track disabled, map as many of the 10 CC-mappable encoders that you want to control in the scene, p-lock them to some steps on the track. Then use Trig Preview on those steps to activate each scene.

This is close to the workflow of “voltage memory” modules in Eurorack like Make Noise’s Pressure Points, Intellijel’s Tetrapad, and Dnipro’s Metamorph where you assign to a touchplate, pad, or button a bunch of different voltage levels and then manually trigger each “stage” via touch. Using my OT in this way with a MIDI-to-CV converter is making me reconsider whether I need to keep the Tetrapad.

Obviously you can also sequence these “scenes” with all the conditional bells and whistles if you activate the MIDI track.

Other nice use case for this: “chord memory”. Similar idea, but don’t set velocity to zero. P-lock chord shapes to some steps, trigger them with trig preview, and improvise different progressions.

Now I want a latching mode for trig preview, haha. LFO and arp parameters are also ignored in MIDI trig preview, would be pretty nice if they were also processed. It would also be useful if there were quantization options, because this is really just as much a performance tool as a previewing utility.

16 Likes

This is a brillant idea. Of course the morphing aspect of scenes is missing, but firing up to 10 CCs with a single button combo is still great.

5 Likes

Will glides work with this? If so, we also have kind of morphs. (didn’t try)

1 Like

No slides for midi tracks unfortunately.
And I don’t think they work with preview in audio tracks anyway.

Lfos.

5 Likes

Slide trigs aren’t available for MIDI tracks and you also can’t slide with trig preview (AFAIK).

(damn parallel posting :wink: )

5 Likes

If you’re using a MIDI-to-CV converter, you can run the CV through a slew limiter to glide between values. The FH-2 has CC-controllable slew limiters on every output. So you can make the transitions between scenes smoother, but you can’t explore the interpolated values in the middle for long. That’s where the magic and serendipity in OT scenes lies IMO.

It’s more like “modulation presets” that you can trigger freely and control very easily, or the “voltage memory” concept from modular. Or like the Rytm’s scenes.

Either way, I’m really pleasantly surprised that the MIDI tracks send CCs on preview so this trick is available. I would really love a latching mode where you don’t have to press “yes”, just the trig keys!

2 Likes