Octatrack 1.40

Toothpick or weight!

4 Likes

Haha. Unfortunately the order matters: hold track button, then press yes. Good thinking though.

1 Like

If i understand correctly, it is possible to have like Trig Midi scenes?
Previewing a Trig key activates the parameters? How to desactivate then?

To my knowledge as soon i enter parameters for a trig they are taken in account… or i just don’t follow what you guys are talking about.

You can’t deactivate MIDI CC messages. When a synth receives them, it follows the commands. If you want to “undo” the CC messages that constitute the “scene” or “preset”, twist the CC-mapped encoders into whatever position you want them to be and p-lock them to another trig that you can preview when you want to return to this home state.

To clarify further, the OT doesn’t send the same CC messages on repeat after a trig with CC messages locked to it has played. The messages only get sent once per play of the trig.

It’s about firing up to 10 CCs manually with trig preview on a muted midi track.

3 Likes

I got the idea but not the result.

Why would you activate parameters on a mute track?

we like to party

9 Likes

I see many use cases where I would want to manually send a bunch of CCs to reconfigure an external device.

Before the trig preview you needed to dedicate a complete MIDI track in plays free mode to accomplish this. Now one single MIDI track can give you up to 64 CC sets (one set of up to 10 CCs at each step) you can manually trigger.

2 Likes

Lol @AdamJay

So the idea is not that the synth receiving the CCs is entirely muted. Just the track that you’re using for trig previews in this way. Imagine that the synth is being played by another (unmuted) MIDI track, another sequencer, your other hand, whatever.

Or it’s a drum machine or another sampler receiving CC messages, or literally anything else that can do its thing without MIDI notes but also responds to MIDI control change messages.

Hope that clears it up. We aren’t excited about sending a bunch of MIDI CCs to silent synths.

6 Likes

Speak for yourself! :partying_face:

6 Likes

more blinking lights in the dark … my private micro light show ready under my finger tips … :rofl:

1 Like

How is that possible since if 2 MIDI tracks send to the same channel number, only the lowest track # of the 2 will be taken in account? I was told to use a retrokit cable as a workaround for this matter.

Plays Free tracks can be used to send 10 CCs for each track. Quantized or not.

It’s not possible to send the same CCs on 2 different tracks, but it’s possible to send notes. Possible with another sequencer. Possible with a RK002, but it would be boring to set up each time.

1 Like

Yeah we do!

2 Likes

We have to seriously wash our ears after that :grimacing: :nauseated_face: :rofl:

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m basically suggesting that trig preview could be turned into a “Trig Plays Free” mode that is easier to jam on instead of “Track Plays Free” mode. So that if you want 8 different “scenes” or “presets” of 10 CCs to fire off manually, you don’t have to use every single one of your MIDI tracks for that. In the earlier days of the Octatrack, this might have been embedded as a new button combo for power users. It’s not going to happen today, though, and I will let go of my enthusiasm for this idea.

3 Likes

I can taste sick in my mouth

1 Like

if the midi track is muted it won’t send anything out.

if you use trig preview it will override the mute setting and send the commands.

it’s like having banks of presets. you pick which you want and send it when you want.

3 Likes

Amazing. I don’t understand why is that so but that’s a great finding :wink:

Piss off.

I had one of the greatest nights of my life to the Vengaboys.

2 Likes