Octatrack Arpeggiator doesn't change with pattern changes?

Hey all, relatively new Octatrack MKII owner and first time poster here!

I’ve been messing around with the arpeggiator lately (Octatrack -> cv.ocd -> Eurorack), and I encountered something confusing tonight:

I want the arpeggiator for MIDI Track 1 to change it’s speed (among other parameters) when I switch patterns, but it doesn’t seem to work? Seems like every change I make to the arpeggiator is a blanket change for all patterns.

Am I being dense and missing something totally obvious (very possible!), or can you not use patterns to change arpeggiator behavior?

Thanks!

Arp settings, and the Arp design are stored in the Parts; of which there are four per Bank; and each Pattern is linked to a Part.

Octatrack%20Parts

3 Likes

Awesome! Thank you very much, I’ll take a look at this

i just thought of something cool with the OT arpeggiator …

could send it out to a hardware device, then track the signal back the the external synth’s Thru midi connection to the Midi In of the Octatrack, and record it to another Midi Track.

then using the arp midi info track recording on the new track on the OT, the user now has the potentially very cool option of applying some Swing ratio to the arpeggio.

edit: as the arpeggio notes returning to the Midi In would be captured as notes to a new Midi track, that is why the Swing setting could then be used.

during the recording would need to set the new Midi track’s Midi channel to something not being used, and also mute the track to avoid the greatly-uncool “Midi Loop of Irritation and Speaker Cone Anger”.

Actually for the new Midi track to capture the notes it would in fact need to be the same Midi channel as what the Midi track with the arpeggiator is playing on.

So to avoid the midi loop potential, switch off CC Direct Connect and be sure to mute the new recording Midi track as it records. That should be okay i think.

With OT, you can P-Lock the desired arp parameters at the start of each pattern (or anywhere else) :wink:

I really wish the A4 could do that too, instead the LFO waveforms are P-Lock friendly (which you can’t do on OT)

2 Likes