Octatrack: losing preslices problems

hey there,

i’ve got a problem with pre-slicing on the octatrack / mk1 1.30b, it seems to lose the slices once in a while. here’s my workflow:

    1. setup record buffer 1 (16 steps / correct input)
    1. make a one-shot trig on 1 on the record track (to initiate sampling)
    1. press play to sample 16 beats.
    1. press stop
    1. slice record buffer
    1. make a flex machine on track 2 to playback slices from record buffer
    1. set up slices etc
    1. arm record buffer / record again

till here, the slicing works, but sometimes, when i rearm the record buffer, it appears that something goes wrong. it then sounds like the first 4 slices are correct, and the rest is just some high pitch noise, not the audiomateral i put in there. i do not alter the bpm, nor any settings in the record buffer setup. does it probably have something to do with the re-arming of the record buffers?

i know that a good workaround is to do this without slicing, and just plocking the sample start, but i’m curious why this f*ck up of my slices happens.

does anyone have some tipps on this topic?

OS Version?

1 Like

1.30b, just checked a backed up project with octaedit :two_hearts:

o̶t̶m̶k̶1̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶1̶.̶3̶0̶b̶,̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶l̶e̶f̶t̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶s̶t̶u̶d̶i̶o̶,̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶i̶’̶m̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶1̶0̶0̶%̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶;̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶x̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶?̶ ̶(̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶i̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶s̶t̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶s̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶s̶i̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶i̶ ̶g̶o̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶a̶c̶h̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶b̶e̶t̶w̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶1̶.̶3̶0̶b̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶1̶.̶3̶0̶c̶ ̶r̶e̶l̶e̶a̶s̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶s̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶’̶b̶e̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶w̶a̶y̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶u̶t̶e̶r̶’̶ ̶:̶)̶)̶

1 Like

Could be a bug with OSv1.30B; so I’d probably suggest backing up and going to OSv1.30C

I don’t support OSv1.30B, moved on quickly from that version.

1 Like

yeah, bought it quickly, but never used it with my octatrack because of the (not) recent firmware. at least it knows what os saved which file.

but thanks for heads-up, guess i would never have thought that i’m not on the latest os.

Everything should work fine with OSv1.30B; but I am aware of some bugs with the OS, that may potentially cause an issue with OctaEdit. For example, some versions like OSv1.25F and OSv1.25G have project corrupting bugs, which will cause issues all on their own, so shouldn’t be used.

So best/easier for me to concentrate on the main versions; then work around OS bugs.

So I concentrate on OSv1.25E, OSv1.25H and OSv1.30C


I had this problem with 1.30B, but it was a user error. If you record something shorter, slices are messed up.

If you save recorder buffer, you can reload slices if it’s messed up.
You can load any sample (silence or not) with slices in recording buffers. You can make presets with different tempos, slices grids…


thanks a lot, and it indeed was an user error. your hint with the recording that is to short messing up the slices gave me the right idea. problem was, that i often press stop,stop,play to start from the beginning and rearm my recording trigs. sometimes, i messed up, initiated the recording, but then instantly pressed stop -> recording too short! my recent workaround to this is using track+record instead of the rearmed recording trigs.

thanks once more :slight_smile: