Octatrack MKII Anniversary Edition

I’ve learned that once you put the card on, never take it off lol so I use it.

1 Like

Cool. :slight_smile:

I see you have a particular preference for who manufactures your gear…

2 Likes

Probably took that picture with a Hasselblad.

1 Like

there’s an element that might be being overlooked to a degree, most limited edition collectors items are coveted and rise in price because they do something that other gear does not… imho there is no way the octa limited is going to rise in price (outside of the people trying to make a quick buck on it’s release right now) because there are two other models that do the exact same thing… with the other elektron gear that has become hard to get items that raised in price there are no equivalents, but literally the octa limiteds equivalents are two other widespread versions of the octatrack itself… it’s not like the mpc 2000xl, 2500, 4000, that all have different features and capabilities… the octatrack og, mk2 grey, mk2 black, or octa limited all do the same thing… I doubt that 5 years later you can recoup your investment.

3 Likes

You mention the MPC’s. It seems like the MPC3000 Limited Edtion was always around 2-3 times more than the standard edition on the used market, and it was just a cosmetic difference. For the SH-101, the Red and Blue always fetch a higher price, and they were just a different color.

I can’t predict what the used market will do, but it seems like Reverb is setting the markets for used instruments. And if the OT-AE is always bought and sold at higher prices than the MSRP, then it will probably stay there. The market is what people set it at, and what people are willing to pay for something.

1 Like

Thank you, this was my assumption too.
But it is difficult for people to accept it specially those that have bought an AE or even a second OT AE

The only plus are an exclusive box and the sound contents, can these 2 items maintain the value across the years? Time will tell…

1 Like

disagree about the mpc 3000 because it still had a perceived difference beyond cosmetic which drives it’s prices even today… there is no perceived difference in any of the octas swing/timing etc…

I agree though that the market is whatever people will pay, my point is why people pay what they pay… usually it’s because of real differences like the models I cited or perceived real differences,… nobody is creating myths about octatrack differences yet so…

yeah that content will wind up everywhere, elektron might even release the content themselves later cause they’re cool like that…

but unless there is some special different coloring in the converters or differences in the timing or some myths about how one shuffles more supremely than the other 3 I don’t see the holy grail-ness of it in the future

Exactly-

Also the black OT will be very nice to the point people might like it more than the AE.

And I think Elektron will do a good job in terms of black colour, specially if the OT will be around for another 5-10 years.

1 Like

yeah if it’s as good as the job on the new rytm it’s gonna be lovely

2 Likes

The only difference between MPC3000 and the 3000LE was the colour and the Roger Linn plaque.

It seems that the regular black OTmk2 won’t have the red rec buttons, the bezel and the card, nor the ltd edition number. 350 is a small run, so it is likely that there will be more people that want them than are available, and of course many people who bought one won’t be selling it.

The LTD edition MDUW and MnM rarely come up for sale and the SFX-6 when it does appear for sale is often more than the new price.

So I think it is pretty safe to assume that the AE will probably follow the same path, I reckon that in the first year or so you might find one for a little less, but after that I think it will probably rise.

I suspect though that most who got one won’t care because they bought it for what it means to them rather than as an investment, there are much more lucrative investments with a quicker return.

6 Likes

one thing for sure this is a perfect use case to study, we’ll discuss it again in several years :slight_smile:

1 Like

I dunno… I mean, you don’t see 'em very often but the limited/numbered Sidstations, and the Ninja variants still command more than the standard edition ones. and that’s just a facelift. likewise, the limited Machinedrums and Monomachines (which just had red or blue bases, exact same otherwise) also command more money.

I agree, you’re not gonna put your kid through college with the money you’ll gain from it. but it could fetch something decent. especially after they (ugh, dreading the day) discontinue the Octatrack.

2 Likes

I just want to say I have one and I love it so much! I already sold my grey MK2. So I am one happy camper :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think its remarkable that people are even talking about a musical instrument as an investment that may gain in value over the years. How many other gear do you know of that has had that effect recently. Congratulations to Elektron. This is their masterpiece.

2 Likes

great job, except they have some misspellings on it no? :grimacing:

we already have a 67 on our list, try again please
unit# not the end of the serial

I think I got em all down to see which number units are left (35 spoken for)

11, 32, 37, 58, 61, 67, 71, 78, 79, 85, 98
103, 139, 147, 157, 183, 184, 186, 191, 195, 199
203, 217, 235, 238, 241, 274, 280, 282, 288
305, 325, 340, 343, 347

reply here to add your new friend to the list

4 Likes

Music store DE planing to restock regular octatrack in about 3 days
This can be interpreted in two different ways:

1. regular black octatrack will be released soon
  2. regular black octatrack will not be released soon

3 Likes