Ok, did dad or mum get you into gear?

My parents did the best thing they could for me and my brothers: out of a deep hatred for his piano lessons growing up, my dad swore to never push us to do music. They went a bit overboard with it, really urging us to not do music. So naturally all three of us did the opposite and nagged them until they let us play an instrument.

(They did love listening to music, which obviously gave a good example and brought us in contact with music)

1 Like

Lol

I should point out that the song referenced in my previous post was entirely different from the improvisational performance, and was written and recorded years later.

That a shame for the story :joy:

yeah, does ruin the joke, but that’s life sometimes

1 Like

Here’s the song that my Mom says I better finish sometime in my lifetime. What I played for her was this shitty demo I did on the Looptical app. She knows I can do better with this song. And hardly anything is improvised.

Dads a drummer and constant finger tapper, im a drummer and constant finger tapper.
Started fuckin around on drums around 9ish

Lol nope. Quite the opposite. When I showed a natural talent for the drums around 7 years old they discouraged it because it annoyed them and they didn’t want to deal with the noise. But that just made me more passionate about getting into it and with my paycheck from my first job I bought a drum kit and a few years later my first synth and since then I haven’t stopped, In a strange way them discouraging me and not being supportive only made me push harder once I got old enough to get things myself and fwiw both my brother and I are musicians. Sometimes stifling something makes people push harder I guess

totally opposite.
they strongly disliked / discouraged music as a hobby (especially in my punk years :tongue:) and treated it as a gateway to marginalization, drug abuse and other cool stuff like that.

2 Likes

My dad is a pretty accomplished guitarist, played with lots of known bands. He was also into some pretty weird stuff, showed me Morton Subotnick and gamelan music when I was 9 or 10. My first electronic gear experience was around the same time. For Halloween he set his guitar and amp up in the living room and put an effectron in the fx loop. He had me play the fx processor while the guitar fed back and he opened up all the windows to let the neighborhood hear the spooky noises I was making. He was super supportive of all my music endeavors, getting me piano lessons from when I was 7-14 and getting me a Casio keyboard and midi interface for the family computer along with Steinberg VST 1.0! Still loves to hear what I’m working on when we visit for holidays.

Neither did, but some of the music playing in our household was stuff like Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream, JMJ at a certain point during my formative years, so I guess that kind of left a mark. Also I got a small Bontempi organ for Christmas when I was 4 or so and I dearly loved that thing. Other than that I rather remember snide remarks along the lines of “there’s someone praying in our basement” when I was heavily into dancehall for a while.

Or a teacher leaving the room to get it turned down in the common room & saying “sounds like a race horse commentary”

My parents didn’t actively encourage me with music but they did buy me a pretty decent guitar after I BEGGED them that I’d learn and stick with it. I quit after 3 months. Still, I was getting into electronic music at the time (early 90s) and I started noodling with trackers and stuff (when I wasn’t teaching myself to write code) and then got more into other software and VSTs and whatnot. I think they also got my brother a Bass and maybe a Sax as well, which he didn’t stick with either. They were very patient with us!

I still can’t play an instrument and have basically zero musical knowledge but I still love messing around with technology, making beats, playing with synths and writing code and I get paid to do the last one so I’m doing OK.

My grandfather (RIP) bought each of the sets of grandkids a Commodore 64. I think he saw it coming that computers were going to be a big part of everyone’s lives. We never even got on that well but he set me on the road of loving technology so I have him to thank for that.

My father is a professional musician (but not electronic) and both parents always encouraged and supported anything I wanted to do including music and computers.

When I was a teen, they would regularly take me in to a state-sponsored media arts center where they had, among other things, a working recording studio. I got into synths there because of the in-house ARP-2600. I also learned how to record, arrange, mix and produce my own music there.

I was lucky that my parents (and the state govt.) were always so supportive, and I owe my career in technology, visual and audio media to that early support.

My dad was very very passionate with music. He listened to it a lot and we always had a home organ of some ilk in our home. Me and my brother would play around with the auto acomppaniment -section and pretend that we were making ”real music”.

My parents put my big brother on a piano/organ class but when my time came, a music teacher recommended that I should be put in a choir. At first I liked it, but in a few years I grew to hate it. My dad wanted me to continue we argued and it went somewhat badly. I haven’t sung a single note since that. I’d like to sing, but there’s a mental block of some kind that prevents me from doing it. Maybe now that my dad is dead, I should try singing again.

All in all our home was very supportive of our hobbies. I wanted to play the trumpet, they got me a beat down rusty trumpet to try it etc. Maybe the single most important thing that set me on my current trajectory was when our dad bought us a Yamaha DX100 for christmas. Even though it was almost impossible to program your own sounds on an FM synth when you’re 12, we sure as hell tried and sometimes succeeded too. At that point it was mostly trying to make a sound that would sound like a revving motorbike or something like that. Sound design but by a 12 year old that loves Masters Of Universe -figures and comics.

I sold the DX100 to Jori Hulkkonen, who had also had the same synth as a kid and was nostalgic to get it back.

So, thanks dad for everything wherever you are. I wouldn’t be me without your support.

When I was 12 my Dad bought me a Hifi/Stereo for Christmas. From that point I discovered Hip Hop (1985)

The only music played in our house up to that point was The Carpenters. In fact I thought one of my Aunties was Karen Carpenter.

When I was younger I always got toy organs as gifts.

And when I was 15 my Dad and Brother bought me 2 Technics 1200s and a Phonic MRT60 mixer.

They made me (they didn’t force me, I liked it :slight_smile: ) study the cello when I was 6~7 but they were big fans of Pink Floyd, Terry Riley, Tangerine Dream, etc

Loved listening to my mums records as a kid but that was it really. She bought a hifi and turntable for Christmas and I discovered scratching and sampling on an album that came with it that had run dmc, beastie boys, Eric b and rakim and public enemy on it. They were alongside a mix of 80s pop and just stood out and blew me away. That was were my obsession with music was born.

I’m make mix tapes recording from radio and records, trying to scratch on the belt drive turntable and doing weird scratch type fx using the play and rewind buttons on the tape deck. Fast forward few years and got my first crappy decks and basic sampler, and so it began.

1 Like

Step father played in local 80s bands touring or practicing daily. He’s a bass player and percussionist. As a kid I got to play on Simmons drum set, an octapad hooked up to an SP12 (I still have it) among everything else.

I wish I knew what synths the key player had, but she played with stacked keyboards the equivalent of a drums throne. I was little and definitely impressed.

No childcare, so I did my best carrying gear and then trying not to get in trouble (or just not caught as kids do). Lots of studio recording, and session recording, tons of mixing sessions. Im sure it’s had its impact, making this is all seem normal!

My dad had a 606.

I was raised right.

3 Likes