Ok, did dad or mum get you into gear?

That’s so RAD

1 Like

My parents demonstrated to me life without interest in music or any kind of passion for anything so in a way they did get me into gear.

3 Likes

yeah - unfortunately it was sold ; _ ; wish i had it now…

Also, used to play around with a SID sequencer on C64. I didn’t know what it was or what i was doing though at the time!

1 Like

I can’t say either of my parents directly got me into music gear.

But my mom had a Yamaha organ at my grandparents house, next door to where we lived. That was probably the first electronic music instrument I ever had any experience with. Sadly, this was thrown away just recently, after my grandmother died. I had no room to keep it.

And my father was pretty early interested in computers, so we got a 486 around 1990. I got really into it, mostly for games. But as people who were alive back then know, you had to learn a lot just to use the computer. Ms Dos and Norton Commander for the first years.

Between that, and when I started dabbling in music production I had started playing the guitar. So at some point these two interests merged, when someone introduced me to Fasttracker 2. From then on, I was hooked.

It’s genetic.

I was adopted. I exchanged letters with my birth dad in my early 20s. He told me he was in an award-winning local band and was really into synths and MIDI gear. He shared his list of gear and I remember there was a Roland MKS-80 Super Jupiter in there. His controller keyboard may have been a JX-10.