Old 2009 iMac - should I upgrade to Overbridge 2.0?

This is my current all Elektron based setup:

• Elektron machines: OT mk1, AK mk1, AR mk1, DT, DN, AH mk1
  • Computer: iMAC (27" late 2009 model) 8 Gb RAM, upgraded with SSD drive running OS-X 10.10.5 (Yosemite)
  • Interface: MOTU UltraLite mk3

I’m currently running the AR and AK with Overbridge 1.2 and the rest of them via aggregate device using the MOTU. The DT and DN are new to my setup so I haven’t hooked them up yet. I wasn’t able to find information on OS-X requirements for OB 2.0. I have quite a solid system right now and would hate to mess things up by upgrading such an old computer, but I also would like to use DT and DN with OB. It doesn’t seem like DT and DN work with OB 1.2 but I could be wrong as I wasn’t able to find this info.

So… what should I do? Thanks!!

Wait for the final Release. Never touch a stable running system.

3 Likes

According to Elektron there isn’t support of the Core2Duo processor. Some 2009 imac’s Have that one. So make shure you have i5 or i7.

I did the upgrade on my 2010 iMac, and it looks like it works fine. But did it last week so hasn’t had it running for too long. But I was ready to buy a new Mac if things went south.

2 Likes

Yosemite is not supported either.
Sierra is minimum.

I would not update that machine to OB 2.0

2 Likes

You can update your late 2009 iMac to macOS 10.13 High Sierra which the Overbridge 2.0 beta supports at this time.

Please note that you will not be able to update your late 2009 iMac to macOS 10.14 Mojave or any future major releases of macOS. It’s also likely that future releases of Overbridge will no longer support macOS 10.13 High Sierra.

If your setup is running fine with Overbridge 1.2, and you’re actively using it right now with your AR and AK, then I would indeed not update as long as Overbridge 2.0 is still in beta.

Sounds like it might be time to start planning for a new Mac if that’s something you can afford.

4 Likes

It has an i5 processor.

I can’t afford it at the moment. I had a very well paying job before that allowed me afford all these Elektrons but now making minimum wage and only working 20 hours a week. Long story…

i’m running an Imac , early 2009 , 2.66 core 2 duo , 4gb , 10.11.6 (el capitan) , i have installed an SSd though (it made a huge difference to speed , it felt like a new machine).

overbridge beta is ok though i mostly run 1 device (digitakt) , all channels running in via usb.

so in theory my machine is slower.
I didnt use overbridge 1 so i’m unsure if its quicker/better.

Person above named “t” said OB 2 beta only works with High Sierra and above. How did you get it to work with El Capitan?

theyre wrong.

i clicked on icon and installed it… no problem. i only had quirky install issue on one of the earlier versions of the beta … i think it was sometimes compiled to be incompatible but those were accidents and soon fixed by elektron.

it may not be official as its quite a slow, old processor , but it works.
my machine may not update past 10.11.6 becuase its core2 duo , i know my mac book pro which is i5 updates beyond 10.11.6 .

for DT and DN you’ll need ob2 beta , i dont think they will/have ever been compatible with old overbridge.

1 Like

to be fair , we’re talking about macs that are almost 10 years old … i’m not surprised that my machines wont update to the latest Macos .

I did expect / hope Overbridge2 worked as it works within Live9 , which is working fine but i’m under no illusions that time is running out on my mac and compatibility.

2 Likes

You are correct. He didn’t say that. However, I found The following info in the OB beta page which I couldn’t find earlier and it states minimum requirement of OSX 10.12 (Sierra):

Minimum Computer Requirements
Overbridge 2.0 requires a high-performance computer optimized for audio production. Elektron recommends the below specs as minimum specs.

• At least 8GB of RAM.
  • At least Intel Core i5 CPU.
  • OpenGL 3.2 capable GPU.
  • Dedicated USB host port for each Overbridge hardware device. USB Hubs are generally not supported and may cause problems with both connectivity and performance.
  • Windows 10/macOS 10.12

There’s a way you can try upgrading stuff without the risk of fucking up your existing setup if you follow the procedure described below.

First of all though, be sure you do have reliable backups of your work. You’re already making backups, right? :slight_smile:

1. Get an external USB or FW drive that’s as large as the internal HDD or SDD you’re running your system from. You’ll wipe this drive so nothing important should be stored on it.
  2. Create a bootable clone of your internal system drive onto the external drive using SuperDuper! It will do this for free, but it’s a great tool worth purchasing if you end up using it more often.
  3. Now start up your Mac from the external drive.

Since you’re now running from the external drive, you can experiment with updating stuff as much as you like without making any changes to what’s on your internal drive. Once you’ve confirmed things work as you’d like them to, you can revert to starting up from the internal drive and apply the same updates there.

Again, have backups and be careful to confirm that you’re indeed running from the external drive before you start experimenting.

2 Likes

You have a stable running system. Why bother with Beta stuff and mess it up? Unless you like messing with Beta stuff, of course.

2 Likes