Oldschool GOA anyone?

Hi,

Just finished building a new OTB setup, still learning the Elektron gear.
I’m planning to compose some oldschool GOA live sets on the OT + DT.
If anyone here making this type of music, please comment :slight_smile: would like to know that I’m not alone.
Share your tunes, if there is any.

3 Likes

you’re not alone.
however, for now i don’t bother to record anything, so there’s nothing to share yet.

PS. if you’re curious:
Roland MC-707 or 101 / Novation Circuit Tracks / DSI Tetra / MAM MB-33 Retro.

2 Likes

Not quite Goa, but people working in that vein:

5 Likes

…nice one.

boah, psytrance was teachin’ me to finally understand techno…
all the years into electronics before, i was always still wonderin’ what’s meant to be sooo good about just straight four to the floor kiks…and well, what can i say…
then i understood… :wink:

but puh, the signature sound of oldschool goa in particular was also something, that always left me desperate to achieve while kept me failing again and again…
the total absence of any minimal approach led me always to overcrowded, muddy mixes that never translated well for real on bigger pa’s…was really a frustrating time…

kept telling myself, only reason for this must be, that i actually never spent time in india… :wink:

aaand to do this today, with hardware only, in realtime, still sounds like a producers nightmare to me…
so, good luck…

actually, classic goa is not a rocket science.
just several (4–5) layered mono parts in phrygian dominant or phrygian scale.
i agree it’s not very easy to get, but once you get it — nothing overcomplicated as well.

gear-wise, there was nothing too fancy with old school goa—303, 101, Juno, Pro One, Bass Station … stuff like that, and other older analog machines that were out of fashion at that time.

P.S. what i don’t like in new school goa is too polished mixes.

After 15 years of ITB psytrance, I’m definitely coming back to good ol’ goa too :slight_smile: (and OTB too)

This was my last goa release, and my last OTB production with a full analog mix, 15 years ago (not my video, but sound quality isn’t too bad):

Gear used at the time: Yamaha RM1x, Boss SP505, Roland SH32, Novation Novation, Soundcraft Spirit ES, Behringher UltraDyne Pro. If you like vintage muddy mixes… :laughing:

Still have the SH32, Nova and Spirit ES mixer, it will be fun to mix it with my new Elektron-centered setup.

9 Likes

which Nova? rackmount or desktop?

Yes, that‘s what I always thought too!! So weirdly ironic that of all things a genre so focused on liveniness/creativity/spirituality in its ideas takes on such a sterile/clean appearance.
Where‘s the colours, the dirt?

1 Like

Desktop. It was my first real synth, and I’ll never sell it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

oooh! my favorite VA ever.

2 Likes

It’s great, keep it coming.

1 Like

Totally in the spirit, DAT, sand and… watermelon. :upside_down_face:

My bedroom goa studio, when I was 20 (time flies). Fun times, except for my sister next door :grin:

8 Likes

I made a few tracks many moons ago. It was an experimental phase but I think I got bored with it. I don’t even know if it was “Goa” but it had some of those qualities. Took me a while to even find any of it!

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=5522086

It’s plenty crappy quality but I guess it made it to #5 on the charts on this website :sweat_smile:

Oddly enough the track was called Electron Planets, just didn’t have the spelling correct in 07

1 Like

when i was in my 20s, the only bedroom studio i could afford was a shitty PC with cracked VSTs :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (even in my late 20s, because i spent all my money on my bikes)

but RM1x + Nova Laptop combo was my 1st hardware rig.

actually it could be still perfectly usable, just a nightmare to gig with.

3 Likes

blasphemy: goa on Elektron box! (Syntakt).
i don’t have my MB-33’s right now, so employed Electribe 2 for acid lines.

3 Likes