Onde Magnétique OM-1

The 2021 batch of the rather intriguing Onde Magnetique OM-1 going on sale shortly (and if last year is anything to go by, will be sold out pretty promptly).

Has anyone ever played with one? I seem to be drawn back to GASsing for it every year when the notification email comes out, but then never quite manage to get an order in before they are gone again (which I guess might be just as well). But they do look lovely for what is basically a mcgyvered sort-of-mellotron

Pre-orders for the next batch of OM-1 Cassette Synthesizers will open on Friday, March 19th at 2PM CST A small batch will also be released at 9PM CST http://www.ondemagnetique.com

2 Likes

I got the email too, but I go through the same cycle that you do. I’m initially interested, as it seems like an unusual and interesting device, but then I wonder what the heck I would do with it and don’t buy. I probably should just drop off the email list.

2 Likes

There is definitely something appealing about its primative hackedtogetherness. And I sometimes get these thoughts in my head about making custom tapes and attempting something complicated and clever with it if I ever got one. But then I realise I probably wouldn’t even get around to sampling it and it would stay on the shelf after a few hours of fiddling around. There must be a fair number of these out in the wild by now. I wonder if that’s what happens to all of them?

2 Likes
  • Mom, can we have Tape & Microsound Music Machine?
  • No. There is a Tape & Microsound Music Machine at home.
    At home…

On a serious side, the idea is nice, a natural tape pitch shifting (still cannot be emulated properly).
But the application is very limited. Maybe writing some non-tonal data to the tape could produce more interesting results.

1 Like

I’m still waiting but I managed to get in on the first drop this year. Should be a few more weeks until it ships. What a weird device. I can’t wait to get it and start experimenting.

1 Like