Online Dating

I’m sorry to hear of both situations. I can’t imagine the confusion it creates not having that thing through which you found some semblance of stability. Especially in such unstable times. As said, be kind and gentle with yourselves.

The apps are very malleable. There are all types people on them and they’re all looking for their own singular thing. There’s sure to be people on them who are looking for what you’re looking. Take them as seriously as you want.

3 Likes

Thanks for the kind words, and for your insight on apps, that’s a reassuring perspective and much appreciated

2 Likes

Met my wife-to-be online.
She was overseas, we exchanged emails for about 6 months then finally met in-person.
Over the course of a year we met several more times, then got married and moved to a “neutral” country (China) having never spent more than a week together.
We had two kids whilst we were out there and have now been married for almost 10 years.
Life is good :slight_smile:

6 Likes

@ghostbuddy @ramcmdr well damn… don’t let that put you down, there’s still plenty of life to be lived, plenty of people to meet, and solutions to all the drawbacks of being single again at an “older” age.

Roughly one year ago, my (ex) SO of 10 years and I splitted up. I was unemployed at the time. Being suddenly single, jobless and without a roof was a bit stressful I must say… But in the end, solutions were found and I’m now in a better place than I ever was mentally.

Back on the online dating subject…

After my breakup, I tried a lot of them, paid or free. What I gather from this experience is: paying gives you zero advantage, only the illusion that you have somewhat a bit more visibility online. There’s always another offer that costs a bit more that they’re trying to make you buy… and all in all, their goal is to make you stay in their customer base, not to help you find love and leave, so yeah…

Another thing is: don’t use them when you’re at your lowest, it can (and will) put you even lower. Use them as an added bonus to a life that you already enjoy by yourself. Being single is not a curse, and certainly doesn’t determine your worth as an individual.

During my time using them, I’ve met a fair amount of very different women. Cool ones, weird ones, angry ones… Some never seen again, some were the start of something that never got far, some could have been great friends… Everybody is on these apps, so you’ll met more or less everybody, with the good and the ugly. I’ve found it great for that: if you don’t expect much from these dates, it’s an incredible opportunity to open up to people you wouldn’t meet in your “normal” circle and I feel much richer and confident from all these discussions, even the weirdest ones. Meeting new people is always a gift, no matter what’s gonna happen down the road.

The conclusion : after using them for a bit, I was a bit bored and decided to stop for a while. Among all the one liners and avorted discussions, one girl had sent me a pretty cool message. Without thinking too much about it, I answered to that message at least to not ghost her before deleting my profile. Then, a super cool discussion spawned from it. Then we met… and now, we’ve been together for 6 months. There’s no rule or logic to how it works, in the end.

6 Likes

So at what point do you tell them about all your diagnoses?

1 Like

If thats a serious question: whenever you feel its important they know.

If not: In your bio. And make sure you list your medication. Maybe youll find someone with whom to pill swap and save on the costs.

2 Likes

Generally not on a first date, though sometimes I do. For example when she brings up her condition(s) or I feel the vibe is open enough for it. I can introduce my condition humorously too.

In any case I’ll bring it up early on as I need to take a lot of rest and I feel it’s best a potential partner understands this soon.

I might sound confident about it but this is something I do worry about. I’m now back on the dating market for the first time after this condition happened to me and I’ve gotta work out how to deal with it.

1 Like

OMG just came across a lady’s profile full of synth pics including AR :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

It’s me, hiya

2 Likes

:kissing_heart:

2 Likes

I’ve had a lot of success using dating apps. Just make sure that you’re aware that half of the profiles on there are fake and trying to scam you.

1 Like

dating? can we just hang out and jam? if collaboration isnt possible in any way im not down.

2 Likes

What a generally wholesome thread. I hope every Elektronaut finds love, in their preferred format. :heart:

8 Likes

19"

11 Likes

Spending money on dates vs buying more gear I don’t need. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

2 Likes

I’m definitely more happy with ephemeral experiences over stuff, it’s far easier to buy gear than make plans with others.

4 Likes

I’m too old for that. If we’d split up i’d try to stay alone, I fantasize I would have more money because of reasons and finish some of the art projects. But probably i’d do theatre (or large format portrait photography) again, meet a much younger woman there, we’d fall in love and the procreation and procrastination cycle would start over, not too great of a future projection. :neutral_face::grimacing::rofl:

Fatalism is for the recently deceased :wink:

1 Like

It’s all in the handbook

Aside: turns out this is a real book. That’s a number of Xmas presents done.

5 Likes

just want to check in here and say (UK folks) i went on Hinge and can highly recommend it, as i apparently now have a girlfriend who is also an accomplished electronic musician, and i’m happy as all shit, and she’s meeting my mum tonight. it seems to be the best app if you’re looking for people you actually have something in common with, rather than for hookups. also can i get a high five

26 Likes