OpenAI - ChatGPT: what a surprise

But what happens when the fact checker becomes the drug?!

You mean like a sleeping pill?

1 Like

things moving fast in AI land.
that video one that popped up today seems to be quite clever.
i expect a lot of ā€˜weirdā€™ looking stylized videos

Considering /pol pushing this Iā€™m not particularly excited by whatever theyā€™re excited to ā€œunlockā€.

4 Likes

What do you mean? Couldnt understand your response.

Edit: I think I understand. You meant ā€˜peopleā€™.

Look irrespective of their viewpoints, I doubt any balanced person would want AI that is not neutral or unbiased and continually patched to suit the developers own viewpoints.

Itā€™s not a great place to start from and Iā€™m sure people from with all sorts of views will be trying to keep it in check.

The tweet specified that this is being pushed hard by 4chanā€™s ā€œ/polā€ for the usual partisan culture war fuckery.

lol

3 Likes

Irrespective of their views, it doesnt mean that what the developers are doing is rightā€¦

You donā€™t want neutral is that what you are saying?

You donā€™t want apposing views given in response rather than an AI that decides based upon the developers leaningsā€¦ little sad if thats the case.

Itā€™s a chatbot and neither will it improve society, nor are the specific critics looking to improve society somehow by removing whatever guiderails keep them from generating holocaust fanfic for the lulz.

Itā€™s a corporate product by design, I donā€™t give any fucks about the monetary value anyoneā€™s trying to extract from it to rule us, nor am I going to back anyone who removes guardrails because they want whatever political influence they hope to extract from it.

Weā€™d be fine without any of that, this isnā€™t a win for civil libertarians or people who donā€™t want to be ruled, just more partisan reactionary shitposting.

4 Likes

Possibly they arenā€™t looking to improve society. That doesnt mean Iā€™ll gloss over the technical details of what they are exposing.

Some people will look at it as a chatbot. Others sadly as an oracle.

The thing with bias on ChatGPT or anywhere else, if people donā€™t agree with it, they wonā€™t have their mind changed, ie the ā€œOrange man badā€ crew arenā€™t going to change to ā€œLetā€™s go Brandonā€ crew or vice versa.

Easier to be in both those crewsā€¦

Itā€™s true, however there is clearly a corporate leaning towards one side and so then when Microsoft (who are invested in it) push for it to be part of the every day work that companies and employees use then itā€™s going to sway people on a multitude of issues ever increasing corporate power over society.

Another propaganda tool.

Or neither.

The posturing around ā€œfreeing AIā€ is really the silly thing.

Theyā€™re not the EFF, just the usual Twitter narcissists seeking clout.

2 Likes

I agree. But I also think AI should be unbiased as far as possible.

I wasnt even paying attention to whatever bravado those folks were getting/not getting.

The fact is that they were able to do something that gave a new insight into the tool.

Purely observing and considering the implications.

Corporate only leans to one side: capital. Whatever you perceive to be the ideology of certain mega corps is actually branding.

Itā€™s funny how the right seems to have convinced most of the world that ā€œwokenessā€ comes from the left when itā€™s actually a neoliberal ideology. The ā€˜realā€™ left(which sadly barely exists today) is highly critical of woke ideology(but obviously sympathetic to causes such as anti-racism, for lgbtq+ rights and so on).

2 Likes

That is my biggest worry. Iā€™m not worried about the technology itself but about a big market-player eating up a small business with some revolutionary impact.

It is the big players doing their thing. A day or so after Microsoft announced their AI interface with Bing, Google comes right back with the announcement with their own product Bard.

Groupthink ?

Reference on who announced first :

Microsoft Announcement from February 7th

Forbes article about Google Bard Announcement made February 8th

What Google announced on February 6th was that they would announce Bard on February 8th in Paris.

See this from Engadget.

So when the NYT, and NPR say MS announced first, they are correct, but there is an asterisk.

Leaning to one side of what giant corps promote / fund ideologically, not what they practise or desire for themselves (Similar to like those jet-setting elites who take private jets and helicopters to Davos yet want to make the average person restricted by their carbon footprint).

My take is there is a leaning from giant corps towards using woke ideology in order to further their own prosperity, working hand in glove with governments to exert societal control & influence.

ESG/Blackrock as one example. When you look at what Blackrock have attempted to drive through akin to corporate social credit scoringā€¦ soon to be exerted on individuals.

Google were first actually, which suggests ā€¦ they had inside info about MS pending announcement?

Bah, anyway ā€¦ itā€™s a fun time, this seems like the generational change us 80s kids thought we might be immune from because ā€œwe grew up with computersā€.

Hmm.

2 Likes