Ortholinear Mechanical Keyboards

Within the niche that is mechanical keyboard appreciation, there is the further niche of Ortholinear mechanical keyboards, including another niche yet of 40% size Ortholinear mechanical keyboard…

Here we find the OLKB Planck. I’m considering getting one.

Ortholinear means that all the keys are in a grid like a Deluge and there’s only 48 keys, so the firmware includes the use of layers for things like number keys.

The switches are also hot-swappable so you can change the feel without soldering, and the keys are remapable if you want to move them around.

There are cheaper compact keyboards, and one of the main uses I have in mind is sample titling on my MPC… hardly critical, given the cost.

Do I need one? No.

Do I need most of the synth gear I have? No.

Have I paid more for an eurorack module? Yes…

Anyone else into these Ortholinear boxes? Any advice?

2 Likes

flagged as potentially financially ruinous to Elektronauts

(I didn’t really flag the post, please don’t bother the mods)

4 Likes

Egads… white with blue

2 Likes

Lovely.

My main external keyboard since 2003 has been my Apple A1016, but I can’t get the Bluetooth to pair with the MPC and it’s a bit… huge

WUYe6cAT0KhcD1i0E7YSYCjOUhtfzH7IFOwxLtXW_yY

1 Like

40% is too large and you still need a mouse

ETHkj1bWkAExdhg

2 Likes

smh…lol

@RustyRoses I have the Planck and love it, but not for a typing keyboard! You can program the keyboard with QMK firmware, which includes midi support. So I like to launch clips in bitwig, run program changes, etc. It’s a really nice tool for the studio! You can set many layers — 1 for program changes, 1 for your DAW, etc.

2 Likes

Are there benefits in the ortholinear layouts? Appart from being smaller I guess.

I’m using a Keychron K2 since last year and mechanical + bluetooth has been a gamechanger for me.

@mncrmo I think some people enjoy the perhaps better ergonomics. I tried and tried to type with it and fell way short.

1 Like

I don’t know why I’m gassing so much about this keyboard now.

1 Like

I just built up a preonic, by the same designer as the plank but with a numberrow, and it is a joy to use. And it is built like a tank.

1 Like

Yep thats me right now too lol

I have a Planck knock-off that can be customized with QMK firmware. It’s too small to be my daily driver, because I kept forgetting the button combos for many of the keys I rarely use but still need. I had fun customizing it though! Probably over engineered it with too many layers.

Nowadays I use a 60% keyboard, which has enough keys to fit all the extra buttons on just one extra layer.

Edit: it’s an excellent controller for fighting games =)

3 Likes

I’ve been tempted by the Kinesis Advantage, for ages. They’re ortholinear (I think) and split, and the keys line a well so your fingers drop into them. I’ve not tried one of these compact/layered keyboards. I fear their smaller size will cause my wrists to bend out even more than a standard keyboard. Does the ortholinear arrangement counteract that?

I can strongly recommend the Advantage. The split has been essential for me during WFH.
Don’t think it’s ortholinear, but not sure that helps anyway.

1 Like

Preonic.

I started with a Planck, which i still have, but the lack of a number row was just a step too far.

The USB C on the Preonic is helpful too.

2 Likes