.OT format definition

Hi,

Sorry if the topic already exists but I didn’t find it.

When I save a sample into the OT card, I can see two different formats : .wav and .OT

When I’ve deleted the .OT, the .wav file was less louder, do you guys know what this format means ?

I’m reading the manual again because I’m wondering if I always have to keep both format for every sample I save.

Thank you !

Maybe this helps https://github.com/KaiDrange/OctaChainer/blob/master/otwriter.h ?

(I guess the .ot file had some value for \gain\ in your case?)

3 Likes

Checking it, thank you.

It looks like the .OT contains exactly what the sample should. Removing it make the sample to quiet to me.

But seeing what it contains, there is no need to delete that format file of the sample actually !

Yeah, and it is a neat idea by the Elektron engineers, to not change the sample, but instead augment it with a metadata about how it should sound.

3 Likes

Definitely.
Building his own library lead to few questions like that. The combination of the OT & modular is very good.

1 Like

The .ot settings file contains a value for the Gain of the sample.

When you load it, you load the Settings automatically (if in the same folder)

4 Likes

I’ll add it contains Trim, Slices, and Attributes settings.

Was your sample recorded with OT ?
By default, OT set GAIN to +12db to recordings.

4 Likes

Yes it was but indeed, I have to check if the settings is always at this level !

Normally it’s not a problem. Just keep OT files with the associated sample.

With a new project, a recording is always set to +12 db. You can change that before recording, I don’t recommend it, unless you plan to change level in Audio Editor or normalize for exemple.

If you load a sample without saved settings, hence no OT file, then default GAIN is 0db.

It is possible to load a sample in the recording slots. It keeps it’s GAIN settings.

1 Like

Yes, I guess this is as simple as that but I was curious. The more I go deeper, the more I love it !

Quick question - when organizing saved samples to a different desired folder, best to copy both .ot and .wav?

1 Like

Yes.

2 Likes

Thank you! Scratched my head a few times when I was in that situation. Will know better next time!

1 Like

Yes, I dont remember seeing somewhere the fact that we have to keep both formats and keep them always together even it makes sens now :slight_smile:

Just jumping in on this thread with a question about the .ot fileformat. In particular, does someone know how specifically the sample start and end points are encoded? I know where they go in the file and how to generate, but do they represent offsets in samples count or something else?

thanks.

I assume that you are asking about start and end positions for sample slices. If so, they point to the position of the slice within the main audio file in sample points. In other words, if an audio file is 100 samples long, and let’s say it is sliced into 4 equal parts, the slices’ start and end positions will be as follows:

• slice 1, 0 - 25
  • slice 2, 25 - 50
  • slice 3, 50 - 75
  • slice 4, 75 - 100

All attributes in the *.ot file that deal with sample position and length are in number of sample.

Sorry if this what you mean by knowing “where they go … and how to generate.” I am not sure what you mean by “encoded”, but everything in the file is stored in hexadecimal.

2 Likes

Thanks, this is just the information I was looking for.