OTO Machines BIM Demo w/ Digitakt

Hey all! Just released my 7th episode of Signal Colors. This time I paired the OTO Machines BIM with our beloved DT. I think the OTO stuff works pretty well with Elektron gear, stereo throughout is really helpful, and the added lofi thru mode is a pretty cool addition. Check it out and let me know what you think!

12 Likes

Nice work, man, i like the video! Makes me GAS for the BIM, though.

2 Likes

Thank you! Also, I’m sorry haha. It is a pretty great box overall, I owned it for a little over a year and didn’t use it enough to justify the expense, but I think it is really fun if you really get into it!

Luckily they’re hard to find :grinning: or i’d probably already have one. Where did you get yours?

1 Like

I believe I’ve purchased all my OTO stuff from The Sound Parcel. I tend to use them quite a bit these days - great service and shipping, and they match prices too which is nice. Worth checking them out if you haven’t!

Cool, i’ll check’em out.

1 Like

Excellent video sir , really enjoy the crunchiness of this thing !! Indeed seems to pair nicely with a sampler.

2 Likes

Thank you for checking it out! I appreciate the compliment. I think the BIM is a great match for sure and definitely has some tasty crunchiness (haha).

Just got a like on this, and it’s crazy that I did this 2 years ago. This is still my most popular demo, and I’m a little better “on camera” now haha, but still holds up I think lol. Did another for the BOUM and one coming before long for the BAM. I’ll also be buying a BÉBÉ CHÉRIE when those start shipping too, curious how the compression and bliss circuits sound, and how things break up when you drive the channels into the red. Still love my BIM though (bought another after briefly going without haha). =)

3 Likes

Nice video! Have all the OTO boxes for a few years now and BIM continues to amaze me.

Hands down one of the most characterful delays on the market. Don’t need any other delay tbh

2 Likes

Thank you! I agree, I have tried a ton of delays and (for me) nothing has completely beat the BIM. There might be some that have a bit more character here or there, but then they’re mono or don’t have MIDI or something haha. I’ve really enjoyed the Volante, that’s come close, and I’m really liking the Polyphrase so far, but still the BIM holds the throne for my needs if I had to pick…I think…maybe…probably haha.

3 Likes

The BIM (in your demo) sounds more versatile than expected. More character in the sound processing engine than most effects units. No transparency, but probably if a person is using a BIM on a digitakt for it’s bit reduction qualities they aren’t looking for the sound of a klon centaur set to one so transparent isn’t much of an issue.

1 Like

Yeah I suppose it isn’t crystalline haha. Thanks for checking out the vid. =)

1 Like

It’s like comparing apples and zebras but I really like the Strymon El Capistan. I understand the mk2 has midi but I’m still pleased with the older model, but it’s just so different to this OTO machine I have a difficult time classifying them both under delay. I suppose tape delay really is it’s own category of effect as much as I looked away from that fact before. I have an older yamaha multi-effects unit which has delays/ stereo delays that have such a granular level of set up that it makes using them to their potential a real chore. If I could budget it in, I think this BIM would fit nicely into the 12 bit crevice my ears tend to lock onto but most of their pedals (particularly the wonderful biscuit) are a significant investment.

I thought it was a very nice video, I’m not a youtube account type person (read: I do not have a youtube account) but I’ll see about some of your other videos when I have a chance.

1 Like

I’ve yet to try that one! …and you’re right about tape delay almost being a different category altogether… The Biscuit has eluded me to date, though I nearly traded for one a while back. Also, I hear you about YouTube, I wasn’t very into it and didn’t have an account until a few years ago myself, but I clearly leaned into it a bit haha. Thanks again! =)

2 Likes