OTO Machines FX - BIM BAM BOUM

Do you have Line Level on the Oto Bam (Reverb). In other words, if you use a Synth with it, does it clip easily? Thanks.

It can take a hot signal without any problem. I never had any problem with the BAM with my synths. Best reverb i ever had.

7 Likes

Thanks. Just ordered one to swap with the DBA Rooms I got last week.

1 Like

Its not a cheap reverb but its definitely my favorite reverb for using with synthesizers.

3 Likes

Yeah it takes hot signal easily. Plus it has leds to meter the incoming signal, something I wish everything in any gain stage would have!

2 Likes

if i like the presets…how do I reverse engineer them? I can’t figure out a method…

Load preset… move knob until it sounds close…. reload preset… move knob until it sounds closer… etc, etc… ?

2 Likes

what about it in particular makes it your fav for synths?

I realised after posting, for the, erm…“gross” parameters I can hit the white buttons to see what those settings are with the LEDs, but yeah, your idea is for the finer points.

I have to say, the BAM really is a lovely object. Beautiful to look at and touch, and the LEDs are hypnotic. Just an outstanding fx box. Smitten.

3 Likes

So you did buy a BAM.

Yeah. I bought an SA Collider and wasn’t impressed by the verb or delay. I ordered a BAM (or I thought I did) and what turned up was a BIM. I checked my order, and so requested a swap for a BAM. Dude sent me a BAM, but they couldn’t do the swap cos xmas, so now I have both, and I am supposed to return the BIM after xmas. BUT…well…I am only human.

7 Likes

I watched a video on youtube and really wanted to know what the box with the dancing lights was, found out it was the Bim delay, couldn’t stop thinking about how cool it was and decided I really wanted to have it even though I didn’t strictly need it at all… I’d only just scored a Polymoon a few days earlier. Started looking into it and saw the Bam and Boum and gas soon got the better of me and I wanted them as objects of art as much as anything else. I managed to get a good deal on all three together and I have been absolutely in love with them since they arrived, they are truly a joy to behold. I would never have guessed just how much Boum, described as a sonic warmer would improve my sound, the filter is just lovely. These boxes are just fun to use, beautiful designs in their Bauhaus-esqe simplicity and worth every penny imo. They will undoubtedly rise in value as time goes on and give you immense pleasure to use. They are truly inspirational devices in every respect and you will not regret spending what seems over the odds, considering their features. I don’t think you can go wrong with any OTO stuff.

8 Likes

shot in the dark: is there a way to dim the oto buttons?

happy boum user here, but its super bright next to my sp202. vu meter is off. id prefer not to open it up and replace leds/resistors

Not that I’m aware of, could you add some sort of matte film underneath the buttons?

I’d like an opinion from people who have some experience with 12-bit samplers (Akai S950, MPC60, Roland S-330, E-mu SP1200, and so on)

How good is the BIM for recreating that sound?

My MPC60 main board died so I am now using the BIM audio thru 12 bit mode to process my drums. The quality of the BIM sounds like 12 bit 40khz rate so it doesn’t have the grit of the EPS Classic (13 bit@ 25khz) , studio 440 (12 bit @ 30khz), SP1200 (12 bit @ 26khz). The Mpc 60 without processing runs at 12 bit 40khz and sounds fairly clean if you’re not overdriving the input or the output when recording. So in reality if you want to get aliasing process the loop thru the BIM at +1 for pitch and in your DAW or sampler pitch it down -1. You can adjust to higher pitches and it works also. What’s cool about the 12 bit signal you ran through on the BIM is the noise floor is very low compared to other 12 bit samplers. You can also use a resampling plugin like Redux in ableton and your samples have much better grit for post processing in that effect.

Hope that helps

12 Likes

2 Likes

Bro you know you want it. Destroyed kicks and snares for days with that box. Sorry to be an enabler.

5 Likes

Hey there TGHH! Can you elaborate on what sounds you’re looking to replicate?

There’s a lot going on in those early samplers beyond “bit reduction”. Clever tricks to save space that gave weird aliasing beyond, filters, companders all adding their own character in the desire to squeeze out fidelity.

I would investigate what you think of these-

1. RX950 Classic AD/DA Converter | Inphonik
  2. https://the-akaizer-project.blogspot.com/
  3. TAL Software

Now, OTO BIM does sound great and has its own character, using some of the same techniques and approaches as classic gear, but these software approaches are more “sampler” targeted and far more affordable.

3 Likes

Where are these OTO Machines made? In France?