OTO Machines FX - BIM BAM BOUM

haha yeah no worries, will try things out a while first. What I like about the heat too that it a portable thing with a headphone output, and with a mini mixer like mackie mix 5 , octa and rytm you can easily make a mini setup when you want things more focused. So it will definitely still have purpose.

As far as I have googled, AH is not true bypass.
Having that on master means you always have compromised SQ, even if you are not using AH at all. From my personal experience AH killed the dynamic range a bit and general SQ when I was testing it. And I can see you have a great mixer, so I assume you are focusing on high quality signal path.

When you press bypass on the OTO instruments, you can hear the mechanical switch inside

hmm thank you, good point to consider indeed! so the oto machines are true relay bypass?

yes they all have true hardware relay bypass, you can change that in the menu if you wish to have different bypass like slow-trailing-off

2 Likes

great thanks for all the tips. probably better then to route the master out of the model 1 mixer through BOUM, and boum into my (standalone) RME babyface for recording/headphone
(and sell the analog heat)

Found your channel through this and immediately became my favourite channel on youtube

1 Like

Wow that’s high praise! Thanks so much for the compliments and glad I can be of help! =)

1 Like

Does anyone know what type of compressor is in the BOUM? Is it a VCA?

BOUM made me understand how distortion / saturation can sound musical. I always thought distortion was needlessly harsh, something for screamy guitar people.

Sounds good on anything. Ran my digitakt through it for distorted 808 sounds - and to delay my Rytm GAS. Ran my digitone through it to hear how it compares to DNs master overdrive - it’s not even a fair competition. Ran my TD3 through it and sounds as good as you’d imagine. Breathed some new life and harmonics into my Minitaur. Played an hourlong liveset with it on my OTs master outputs and yeah - totally has the mix saturation / compression special sauce I was looking for.

Really intuitive, and while not crazy versatile, and with some annoying quirks (levels mainly), it does exactly what I want and sounds great doing so. Never thought I’d be the type to spend 500 bucks on an effects pedal but it’s a keeper for real

11 Likes

It’s probably VCA because that is less costly to manufacture

1 Like

have you used the heat before?

asking cuz overbridge doesn’t work for me anymore and to me it lost its special advantage.
apart from the modulation capabilities, comparing distortion & saturation, how would you fair the boum to the heat?

Have not used the heat. I’m curious to try one and compare because the feature list definitely beats the Boum (except the compressor but apparently the envelope Follower can be used for that). It’s just that I never really liked the kind of distortion or saturation I heard in demo videos of the Heat, vs demo videos of the Boum. Completely subjective though.

1 Like

I have both but have been meaning to sell AH since I got Boum.

In my experience AH saturation is like putting a warm blanket over the source, where Boum saturation is more like toasting the source over a campfire. In other words, Boum sounds more “transparent”/preserves more of the original signal characteristics where AH adds its color throughout the range of the source. AH’s eq and finer gain range makes it a lot more flexible so you could get reduce that coloration but I found it was always there, where Boum just crisps the edges and adds some harmonics in a way that doesn’t sound like the source signal has been completely altered.

When it comes to distortion however, I find Boum, once moving past the saturation range, goes deeper and deeper into harsh territories, which has its place and works great with the LPF. AH on the other hand is so flexible and has such a wide range of amazing distortion sounds. This is where AH’s coloration is a positive because there are so many flavors to coax out of it.

4 Likes

very well said! thank you for that.

i think its best to hold onto the heat and acquire the boum in addition also.
-the way you explained seems they will both have their place with me.

although i do find myself using the “clean boost” setting often…maybe more than the others.
-would the clean boost setting also apply to what you said in your first paragraph?
about crisping & sounding harmonic.
-meaning, could the clean boost also achieve that harmonic sound.

haven’t spent that much time with the heat recently to tell (about the clean boost setting). plus my monitor & acoustics situation isn’t helping either.

but distorting drums/snares/etc with the heat and sampling it as one-shots is really beneficial to me.
-maybe the boum could be useful in a way of smoothing out the whole track after that while still keeping it warm.

The clean boost setting on AH when pushed into clipping sounds a bit hard to me, like pushing a mixer, where Boum’s saturation setting is softer and is more like pushing tape, but for the most part yes, I think with a little eq bump AH can add some sizzle in the way Boum does. I don’t think any setting on AH gets close to what Boum does though… very different characters.

Boum is like a warm but mostly transparent light overdrive (with a few extra settings to make things way over the top), where AH is a clean boost, a few overdrives, and four distortions, all of which sound very different and unique and amazing, in one box. Then there are the additional features… Boum’s compressor is very good though and is a big part of the package. I think there’s room for both, and maybe I haven’t sold my AH yet for a reason lol

2 Likes

Does the BIM respond to MIDI Clock? Will the Delay be synced to the Master Clock?

Yes

3 Likes

So, it’s not only Tap Tempo, it’s also MIDI Clock sync. The manual is unclear about this. Thank you.

It confirms at a few points-

• You cannot modify the RANGE parameter when BIM is synced to MIDI Beat Clock.
  • MIDI input : BIM responds to MIDI Clock, CC and Pgm Change
2 Likes

Ok. It was in the Features section. Thank you.

1 Like