Overbridge and Projects?

I made a post about this in the RYTM forum But didn’t get any replies.

Can anyone explain the relationship between Total Recall in Overbridge and Projects? I’m specifically interested in how this works on the AR. But it’s likely relevant to other machines as well.

My understanding is that OB takes a snapshot of the current loaded project. However, if I have multiple songs using the same project, this means there’s a risk that I could overwrite the latest changes to that project by loading an older version of the project via OB and then saving that project to the machine. Is that correct?

My current workaround is to have a separate project per song. Is that what other folks are doing?

I’ve learned the hard way to always save the current kit, project, pattern, etc. before tweaking. So it’s second nature to always be saving on the machine. But OB adds another layer of complexity to this. I’m just curious about how others are dealing with this.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but OB doesnt actually save the project on the machine. But I agree that it means another thing to consider before you save a project. I’m not as organized as you sound, and I tend to treat my rytm settings as somewhat disposable. This is one of the reasons I like total recall.

Yeah, OB doesn’t save anything to the machine. My concern is around manually saving the project on the machine after using OB. A common situation for me is:

• make something I like on the hardware
  • move to my DAW to develop it using OB
  • go back to my hardware and start some other idea

Now there’s the risk that if I go back to the song on the DAW and manually save the project to the machine, I’ll wipe out the latest idea that I made on the hardware and it’ll be gone forever.

When I start a new track I open a new project in ableton anything made on devices is saved when saving ableton through total recall…

If you start on the Elektron machines first just don’t load plugins state…
Then you can just save in ableton as usual…

I save all my tracks and work as ableton projects now
and find it much less hassle to save on the each device…
probably the most useful feature of overbridge besides the audio streaming imo

Thanks. That makes sense and is essentially what I’ve been doing too. But while using the Beta of OB for so long, I never wanted to solely trust total recall. After years of using Elektron machines, I’ve trained myself to constantly save on the hardware. But glad to hear that workflow is working.

1 Like

I notice that it’s not possible to do a local save after enabling Total Recall, even when the Digitakt is disconnected from Ableton. Any workarounds, apart from saving as a new project?