Overbridge Rytm Levels too HIGH (?)

It’s weird because all the rest of the world seems to have the opposite problem, but My RYTM MK2 when used via overbridge is close to clipping.
Individually, most of the tracks are around -5-10 DBFS and some close to 0 DBFS.

With most kits, In order to gainstage correctly, i have to lower the volume of each track by 7 db (plus -6 db on the summing/grouped track). All of this just to get a total peak value of -12.

Any advice? Is this normal? thank you in advance for any help or guidance you may give me.

PS: i removed the dry sound from the main outs and use it just for the FX. Compressor is 0% dry/wet and Compressor Volume (which only controls level of the main out) is halfway (63)

I’m guessing the transients put all together (especially if you have some tracks at around 0dbfs) clip the main outs of your DAW.
It seems the compressor is OFF (0% dry/wet = nothing I assume as a setting at 50% would give parallel compression with the dry and wet combined) so did you try with the compressor wet at 100%? is the compressor meter showing some activities?
One thing to tame the transients would be to set a tiny amount of the global AR overdrive, just a tiny touch. I use the Digitone overdrive at 0.01% and it reduces the peaks dramatically, AR overdrive should do the same.

Things to check:

1. OB USB output is set to 0db.
  2. Compressor is really compressing
  3. check the compressor make up gain setting
  4. tiny touch of global overdrive
  5. lower the volume of the tracks if they are continuously hitting at around 0dbfs

btw clipping doesn’t mean it’s loud when it comes to drums. Being mainly transients it can seem quieter than a huge pad that is not clipping at all and get lost in context.

Hi, thank you very much for your answer.

As you said, i just tried to lower the USB output levels, but they appear when the machine is in usb audio/midi mode. When in overbridge mode it shows N/A, which means the level is pre determined by the software.

Compressor Makeup is 0 db,

Compressor volume is halfway at 64, but if you crank it up/down it affects only the FX track since the other channels stream separately and not through the mains

Overdrive and lowering volumes can help manage transients once i start dialing in my sounds, but… i wanted to start working on my tracks a little lower than around 0 db for the sake of A/D conversion :slight_smile:

To clarify : here’s a screenshot of my overbridge control panel with levels. I am playing Bank A Pattern 2 of the default presets

sounds a little hot to me!

If I believe the schematic every tracks go through the global overdrive and compressor. you can only disable reverb/delay from the mains out(but I might be wrong, never been into reading schematic haha).

OB AR has a capture feature with USB level setting. what is the setting for this one?

I wouldn’t be surprised if they cranked up the presets volume as louder always sounds better.
You should try to create a pattern from scratch.

AR has so many level settings:

• synth level
  • sample level
  • amp level
  • track level
  • make up gain
  • compressor level (= global volume)
  • global volume (no effect in OB though)

You should be able to tailor the volume to your needs.

1 Like
  • global volume (no effect in OB though)

^Thats the problem.