Overbridge sound quality

I have a AK+AR combo. Love it. Now, I need to record my compositions and I only have money for a computer or a soundcard.

How good is the audio quality when you record using Overbridge? Has anyone compared that to, for example, capturing the master outputs with a separate sound card?

My options are a mac book pro 13inch or one of the new Apollo Twin Mk2 cards.

Opinions? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance

1 Like

@safetyofobjects
You have no decent computer at all ?
Appollo Twin have only 3 inputs (2 mic/line + 1 guitar inputs) to me it not suitable to AK + AR for multiple outs recording.

So stick to a good computer with OB + you will be able to deal with VST instruments and effects in your session it’s a WIN WIN :wink:
Or choose a real multi-outs audio interface lie RME Fireface UC, Fireface 802… or MOTU 828x, Focusrite Clarett 8PreX … etc… even the Behringer X18 witch I have is ok when recording… it’s more or less the same than Overbridge Quality to my hears and I use it in LIVE so… USB sound card is a bonus to me. But I have already a strong iMac before the buy the Behringer. If I have no Computer at all I will buy a computer first.

The A/D converters of the AK/RYTM seem good, don’t think you would notice any improvement recording via your Apollo, so as @William_WiLD mentioned go with OB to take advantage of the multi outs and extra editor / daw functionality

Is it possible to enable all incoming tracks simultaneously with OB?
Because now, I can only enable 3 tracks at once (24 bit) when recording with my pc. Is this CPU-related?
My goal is to compose a live set-up with laptop (on the fence), akai apc 40, and Rytm. I would like to be able to use send effects to each Rytm track if I want to.

If we are talking about Apollo mk II, it will probably have a better sound than overbridge. Maybe get an ADAT to go with it for 8 + 2 ch recording? However, recording via overbridge sounds perfectly adequate IMO. Check my A/B in the soundcraft 12 MTK thread.

Thank you all for your input!