OXI Coral Multi-timbral Polyphonic Eurorack module

Doesn’t seem to be a separate thread for this yet. Looks to be something of a game changer when it comes to Eurorack. I have one preordered and excited to seeing what people get out of it. Details below:

BIG SOUND

Lots of computing power to deliver rich sounding engines, in an 8 voice package.
One voice can have 8 oscillators depending on the engine, which means up to 64 oscillators at the same time!

POLYPHONIC

Coral features 8 full voices with independent filter, amplifier and modulation envelopes per voice.
Individual FX sends and individual parameter can be set per voice!

MULTIENGINE

Different sound engines can be assigned to each voice from the 10 available.
New engines will be availabe through firmware updates.

MULTIPART

The 8 voices can be freely split into different parts. Every single parameter (filter, envelope settings, engine, FX sends, pan, etc.) can be independently set for each part or voice to create complex patches out of the box.

SAMPLE PLAYBACK

CORAL supports almost any kind of wav file: 16, 24 and 32 bit mono and stereo files, no limit to playback time!
Add overdrive to your samples, sculpt them using the filter and envelopes, pitch them up and down in tune and even modulate the sample file or folder in real time using the CV inputs or CC MIDI commands!

CUSTOM WAVETABLES

You can load any wavetable .wav file to the SD card for the Wavetable engine. The wavetable can be morphed in 3 dimenstions. Use our OXI Wave APP to create and edit 3D wavetables.

MIDI INTEGRATION

Control any part’s parameter via MIDI CC, from FXs sends to sample selection.
Combine it with CV signals for a killer compact combo.

EFFECTS

Space engine to create deep atmospheres and rich ensemble chorus.
Every effect send can be set per voice.

2 Likes

Looks cool, I watched the Oora demo, but I hope to see some more demo’s soon. Sample playback can be stereo, which is always a plus for me. Looks like there is on a single stereo-out. I hope they do an expander module for separate outs.

It does look cool. I believe it’s using the Braids engines for the synths? Not sure how polyphonic those are on other modules like Behringers Brains and Braids itself.

Still, lots of polyphony and the sample playback is dope and it’s definitely made with Oxi One in mind which makes it intriguing.

I’ve been discussing this in PMs with @your_lamp and I voiced my doubts on the Modwiggler thread. In a nutshell: it doesn’t feel like a Eurorack module to me. Only outs are audio (no clock/sync), primary in is MIDI. I am keeping an open mind but am skeptical so far.

8 Likes

Absolutely.

But another way to consider this is more like a MIDI controlled polyphonic desktop module. OXI may just consider Eurorack a convenient format ( as other companies have done ), without having it tied to any more specific controls, in a full blown desktop module.

Whether there is demand for that sort of thing, or if this is the optimum arrangement for that, is still a crucial question.

I want a little more interface on this too.

Another similar product is the Knobula Poly-Cinematic.

4 Likes

Yes, I have similar issues with Poly Cinematic. But OXI clearly sees the One as a primary driver of Coral, so why not a half-blown desktop module? A case, power supply, and, as you point out, just a little more interface would go a long way.

1 Like

One possible reason could be that certification is generally easier on a Eurorack unit. Plus they can hope to sell some to the Eurorack user market too.

2 Likes

That is a good point I had not considered at all. I am all for certification but this is an unfortunate effect, if true.

I think you’re completely right about it not feeling like a Eurorack module. I love my modular but I’m excited to have something like this in there when I don’t have the time or inspiration to delve deep into a new patch. I think it’s a great way to bridge the gap between desktop and modular in a tiny footprint.

Definitely feels like they want you to use it with the One but the fact they have offered something small to install in an existing setup rather than adding another box/PSU/cable run to a desk speaks to the fact that they are supporting the Eurorack format rather than trying to compete.

1 Like

Question for me is : does it have an I2C port ?
The only satisfying experience I have in eurorack is Teletype driving Just Friends or Teletype driving DistingEx.

maybe try a i2c2midi, seems ideal for this.

This is already sort of exits in DistingEx I think? 4 independent NI Braids or Plaits via CV or Midi. It has expanders and is even MPE…it even has a screen…sort of!

I like this because I always buy full voices for my little modular setup…so much easier…and then can spend more on effect modules so this is great for how I do modular.

4 Likes

Just got notified that mine is coming next Wednesday

1 Like

Coral has hands on control over the main parameters of a synth which makes it really performative.
+ CV modulation to the key controls

1 Like

A few musical examples using Coral !

1 Like

A question from @subLimb in the Oxi One thread. To keep the thread clean I will answer his question here.

Question is : ’ How are you liking the Coral? I’m sorely tempted but trying to hold off as someone who has way too many voice modules already…’

For me the Coral is my 1st module, so answering your question is very simple. I really like it a lot, there are so many sound/voice variations possible. Manuel for Oxi did a great job. And the support from him is outstanding, just join his Discord channel. Regular fixes and updates.

I own(ed) a lot of Elektron boxes, which have a high level of it’s own. But the Coral gives me so much more, I like the patching and creating my own sounds. And sequenced by the Oxi One makes it complete for me. I think I got the Eurorack GAS, please don’t tell my wife…

3 Likes

Wow, 8 part multitimbrality sounds quite amazing !!

2 Likes

It looks like an amazing module and definitely a great choice for first module. Very versatile.

1 Like

It absolutly is, the sound variations are unlimited. Every time I use it I discover some new sounds. Controlling it with the Oxi One is a big plus, I think.

The firmware needs some bug fixing, but Manuel from Oxi is very responsive on Discord. I’m sure he will fix the bugs soon.

2 Likes