Oxi One Hardware Sequencer

Oxi looking clean.

2 Likes

I have the same issue, i try to make a mental model of how this awesome sequencer works, but i get lost all the time. Is there a diagram somewhere i can look at that explains to me what’s going on with lanes, sequencers, patterns etc.? I think it can be very helpful for people to get their head around how the structures/model of the OxiOne are designed.

Edit: never mind LOL Oxi One Hardware Sequencer - #299 by CarlosUnch

Edit2: spoke to soon, how is the hierarchical structure actually between sequencers, sequences, patterns, lanes, songs, tracks and steps exactly? It’s all a jumble in my mind, and i try to make sense of it.

I think the most confusing part for me is the “Lane” object, and how these relate to Patterns.

What exactly is a Lane, is it a holder for sequential (chained) patterns, or for parallel patterns (like tracks)?

2 Likes

I’ve surrendered to the fact that I won’t get it until I try one. And I’m okay with that.

5 Likes

Man, i totally didn’t know about this until now… on to the every growing want list!

1 Like

yep, me too

1 Like

ah crap, i really love what i’m seeing but i really get confused with all the buttons and objects. It’s probably my flawed brain haha. Is there a video that explains from scratch how to create a basic 4 track sequence with a drumtrack, monophonic melody (topline), bassline, and some chords, and then transposes f.e. the chords, the entire sequence, and then mutes and solos some individual drumsounds? And then proceeds in how to “chain” those sequences into a song with variations for f.e. drum-track, chords, baseline etc.

Yeah i know, very bread&butter basic stuff, but probably how most people start.

3 Likes

Check this walkthrough and the other videos on the channel to get to know it better.

4 Likes

i did, but i got confused right away,. It seems the video start with the more advanced usecases from the start? I see a lot of button pressing but not a “from scratch with something really basic”. Maybe there is a point in the video that i missed this “basic from scratch” moment? tnx!

1 Like

I think something like that can be explained with the quick start doc we are preparing.
Anyway it’s easy, let me try with words (oh god):

First thing to know it’s that there’re 4 Sequencers, the number buttons. Each Sequencer can be any of the available modes, Mono, Poly, Chord or Multitrack (more to come).

What you usually see on the 128 pad grid (most of the time) is the Piano Roll view, here is where notes go. In general, down to top is lower to higher note, and left to right, order in the time sequence, basically a step. You can just go ahead and input notes there. Depending on Root, Octave and Scale, each row of pads would be a different set of notes. (there’s an easy way to scroll up/down to access higher/lower octaves).

Long pressing one of the number buttons give you access to the Sequencer setup that looks like this:

Here you can set the global MIDI channel, so once you got it right, just press play to start sending the notes on the Piano Roll to your instrument.

I think that’s pretty much it.

5 Likes

Does this help ?

2 Likes

If your brain is flawed, then so is mine. Took me a long time (like, months, with many questions) before I reached the conclusion that I more or less got it. The recent diagram is an improvement, but there are still ambiguities, as you’ve discovered. For example, this question:

1 Like

tnx, it’s good to not be the only one :stuck_out_tongue:

one of the reasons i clicked so well with f.e. my trusty RM1x is that there is a very clear hierarchy in it’s sequencer objects:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/196937/Yamaha-Rm1x.html?page=35#manual

I always get lost very quickly when there are cross-references or multiple ways/views to reach the same thing. I guess in my mind i “traverse a tree” where i can go up and down between parents and childs. And in all devices and software i am looking for this same kind of “tree”.

BTW, i’m sure the OXI One has the same kind of hierarchy inside, but i didn’t find a clear explanation yet. The diagram is also showing a lot of different objects on the same level, which makes it not clear to me how exactly they relate to eachother. But I will learn :slight_smile:

1 Like

This might help put some things into perspective, or not, at the very least it’s another glimpse at the Oxi… the very first tiny little corner of this gem that I explored after unboxing my proto unit. (I’ll be test flying this bad boy for the duration and will do my best to answer questions as I become more acquainted with it).

So, in this video I’m using just 1 of the 4 sequencers available at any time in Oxi (specifically, I am using a ‘multitrack’ type sequencer…128 steps X 8 mono tracks).
With multitracks, each row on Oxi represents 1 mono track, 8 rows = 8 tracks. You can assign midi channel per track.
((you can see I’m only using 16 steps X 7 tracks in the vid so it’s easier to figure out what’s going on here… using our dear friend Model:Samples keeps things extra familiar :slightly_smiling_face:))

Cool, I made a quick pattern…… Now, referring to the ‘Arranger/Song mode’ graphic (maybe better named ‘STORAGE/song mode’)….

Top half = your pattern storage bank.

You can look at it like this….
The very top row is storage for sequencer #1… the row bellow it is storage for sequencer #2. Seq#3 bellow that, seq#4 bellow that.
For the example in the video, I would save the pattern on one of the 16 top pads because I created it using sequencer #1

Bottom half = your pattern arranger.

So, you store your patterns in the top half, but the bottom half is where you can arrange those patterns into songs…
Press and hold any of your stored patterns (top half) and then press the pad on the arranger (bottom half) where you want to place that pattern.

If you’re familiar with the way song mode is implemented in the polyend tracker, arranger mode is very similar… this was the easiest way for me to understand arranger mode before I had hands on an Oxi.

Hopefully something in this post is helpful to those trying to wrap their brain around the Oxi…
Holler at me if this just created more questions.
I’ll also be posting Oxi stuff regularly here https://oxiinstruments.com/forum if you want to come join the posse😀.

12 Likes

Thanks @TheGhostCat that was helpful.

Unfortunately the picture you used had the word ‘clip’ on it. So I thought “What is a ‘clip’ ?”. I wish I hadn’t. Now I’m questioning things I thought I understood. I wish there was a consistent use of terminology for Oxi one.

1 Like

tnx! Is a “lane” like a “scene” in Maschine? Ie a combination of different patterns played together?

I think the answer is in that comment you linked?

‘Clip launch’ allows you to use the arranger/song mode view to launch your patterns with live control.
As opposed to those patterns launching in the order you had arranged them on the bottom 64 pads.

In one way yes, it says clip=pattern.

But also in explaining clips it refers to scenes, and I don’t find anything to help me understand what scenes are. And I’m really not clear about “Loops per clip”

Why would they confuse things with the term ‘clip launch’ if they mean ‘start a pattern’ ?

1 Like

I always thought “launch (MIDI) clip” and “start pattern” were the same thing. At least in Ableton Live, the way I’ve used its basic sequencing functionality so far.

I think the word ‘scene’ was just referencing the shared common use and familiarity that people associate with ‘clips’ or ‘scenes’ on other devices and daws….
In Oxi they are patterns.

It’s more about how you can interact with the patterns that makes a difference here.

Words are very powerful and important, and thus semantics. The moment words are mixed people can become confused. If i understand it right, there is no such thing as a “Clip” in the OxiOne, only a “Pattern”?

The same thing for “Scene”, is there actually an object in OxiOne called “Scene”?