Oxi One Hardware Sequencer

Thank you for the response, I really appreciate it. I look forward to test-driving the device and making music!

1 Like

I am quite confused by the amount of memory there is in a project.

Could someone be so kind to translate it into Elektron equivalent?

For example, an Octatrack has 256 patterns aka sequences, and within those patterns you have 8 tracks.
Each of the 8 tracks can have up to 64 steps.

What is the equivalent on the Oxi One? Using this exact same syntax for a single project (and nothing more) could you please advise on how many patterns, how many tracks, how many steps?

1 Like

I’m not going to attempt a full explanation (I think the specs have moved on in 2 months since I asked so I won’t references specs from that time) … but this is what made things relatively clear to me:

Also

If an official explanation explanation follows I will happily delete or correct this post as appropriate.

2 Likes

Yea this confusion and need for decryption is exactly why I have requested that the specification be listed here in a familiar syntax, instead.

I don’t need a full explanation, I just need how many patterns, how many tracks, and how many steps.

2 Likes

Short answer: 15 projects, 64 patterns per project spread between 4 sequencers, each sequencer having 16 patterns slots. Each sequencer can have up to 8 tracks. This means 1 project can have up to 512 tracks of up to 128 steps each. Up to 7680 tracks in total in Oxi One.

Let me explain it again to see if I can clarify this a bit more.

It’s important to know that in Oxi One, there’re 4 sequencers available and running at the same time that are completely independent, and you can have up to 8 tracks per sequencer (8x4=32 tracks playing at the same time if you have 4 multitrack sequencers selected). This means a pattern in Oxi One saves the state of each sequencer in one of 4 slots in it.

Mono and Chord modes store up to 128 steps. Polyphonic (7 notes per step) and Multitrack (8 mono tracks) stores up to 64 steps.

You can load sequencers independently of its pattern slot, always within the same project.
(Copying individual sequencers between projects will be an option).

Patterns also saves the current cv out configuration (it’s highly configurable) more on this later on!

8 Likes

Makes total sense to me. Sounds like a pretty unique, free running experience.

1 Like

Thank you for that explanation :pray:t3:

2 Likes

So it sounds to me like you choose a ‘mode’ for each ‘sequencer’ I think, and this varies the numbers:

Chord mode sequencer -> 1 track, 128 steps, 8 notes played per step
Mono mode sequencer -> 1 track, 128 steps, 1 note per step
Poly mode sequencer -> 1 track, 64 steps, 7 notes per step
Multitrack mode sequencer -> 8 tracks, 64 steps, 1 note per step

(EDIT Notes per step corrected following reply)

Have I understood right so far ?

So, if you configured every sequencer as multitrack, for instance, 64 patterns x 8 tracks = 512 tracks total per project. That gives your original 7680 tracks total in Oxi One.

But if you choose every sequencer to be mono, poly or chord, then you get 64 patterns x 1 track = 64 tracks total per project, which means 960 (I think) tracks total in Oxi One, if you choose to set up your sequencers that way.

2 Likes

Spot on! Almost :smiley:

There’s a good reason to always have a multitrack mode on: you can paste Mono sequencers onto a single track and free the Mono sequence. Mono has much more flexibility than Multitrack at time of composing. For performance both Mono and Multitrack are great on its own ways. Multitrack is good for drums too of course.

I made this once @AdamJay asked. Hope this will be more clear for newcomers.

Also note that Chord mode has up to 8 notes, but they are based on the root note with chord, inversion, voicing, strum, etc information on top. This way we can store 128 steps.
Meanwhile in Poly, up to 7 notes per step but they are completely independent, we can store 64.

For now ignore the bottom rows, they are the Arranger mode. It’s shared with Memory Access so you can easily arrange the sequencers in any order (with gaps too), with any number of repetitions (infinite too). Things may change tho :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

So that’s pasting 128 steps onto a 64 step track in a multitrack sequencer ?

I do not need another hardware sequencer, but the Oxi One has captured my interest.

2 Likes

Same. Looks very interesting and I’ll be keeping a close eye on this.

2 Likes

Yes, unfortunately steps pasted are capped to 64 from Mono to Multitrack.

I do not want to end the reply like this :(, so a Chord sequencer can be pasted onto a Poly, this way you can fine tune the versatile chord generator adding notes, removing or time offsetting them.

3 Likes

Finally watched all the videos and really looked into this thing… and damn! This is an auto buy for me. Dropped my 1€ for the giant early discount (smart, I know a couple friends that will surely hop on this). If you’re even remotely on the fence with this one it’s probably worth it to buy in to the discount while you can, imo.
@CarlosUnch @OxiInstruments this thing is super dreamy, I can’t wait to get my hands on one. Tell me where and when to throw my moneys at ya.

3 Likes

Thanks for the support!
When is April. You’ll receive an email to purchase with the price you just reserved. During the campaign we will focus on logistics for manufacture and shipping depending on volume and will try to give an ETA, but be sure the machine will be 100% software and hardware ready by the time we drop the campaign.
Feel free to ask any questions!

3 Likes

Here’s a visualization on how CV OUT configuration layout works on Oxi One.
We are kinda proud of how it works :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Found this video on the Oxi instruments YouTube page… its not on their website and I hadn’t seen it posted here yet. It definitely gives the best feel for how this thing is laid out, the thought process behind the user interface, and is just a general good showcase of what this thing is capable of (which is a LOT).

5 Likes

wow, the way they have implemented the CV routing is genious !
I though the Korg SQ64 was very limited with only 1 mod per track (that include velocity) so the Oxi is way more flexible .

3 Likes

Sorry to bang on about this but the terminology is really unfortunate. Consider that the oxi one is itself described as a ‘sequencer’ (just came across the phrase ‘performative sequencer’ in an informational video) how can it make sense to say ‘paste a sequencer into a track’.

It would have been much less confusing to have called the ‘sequencer’ (in the 2nd sense, e.g. the mono sequencer) a ‘track group’ or ‘meta track’ or ‘super track’ or something. Not saying those names are without problems, but the present state of affairs has led to problems … everyone has a preconceived idea of what a ‘sequencer’ is … until you get to oxi one where it means something different.

I guess I’m not even particularly suggesting you change it … but I am highlighting the issues raised by that choice of words.

EDIT: and despite whinging on about this it is well possible I might finish up buying one.

1 Like

Hey thanks for the feedback!

We were referencing them as “sequences” before and that was leading to misconceptions (sequence=track)

“Sequencers” fits better what it is. In reality there’s 4 fully fledged, completely independent sequencers (what other companies define as sequencers by features, not by hardware). As simple as it is, it’s not easy to explain if you have to compare with the structure of the sequencer you may own.

Starting from a white canvas, there’s 4 sequencer modes to choose (more to come) between 4 sequencer physical slots (1-4 buttons), and this makes up to 32 tracks. I think this is the best approach we can have and what better defines Oxi One power. We will use video content and the manual to support this view.

Trying to explain a new structure based on the preconceived idea of what each person has about different sequencers, doesn’t work for us.

As good as they sound, as you say these would bring up more issues.

5 Likes