Oxi One Hardware Sequencer

Just the fact that I still don’t entirely get it, means I’m more and more intrigued :blush:

6 Likes

Thanks! We are really proud of this one.
We can affirm that we are not just another approach for already existing features, but we also bring new ideas to the game, not only CV routing.

What it’s great about having so many ideas packed into one thing, is that even as nice as the CV routing is, a person may find the ability to have 4 arpeggios paying at once, independently of what the sequencers are doing, much more appealing.

There’s a sweet spot for every kind of user, being DAW, modular, mobile, hardware, compositional or sequencing approaches.

4 Likes

Haha you kind of have to forget what you know about structures on sequencers to make the task easier. Once you get it, It is as simple as it can go. Good luck, and ask away anytime!

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I like about it. I love tools that allow me to structure and compose in new ways and have left my XOXO days behind. Gonna keep eyeing this one.

2 Likes

One thing to add to the naming issue:

In Oxi One global parameters (except for tempo and CV out to avoid overlapping) affect just its sequencer. It has 4 user selectable, fully independent Sequencer slots that can be configured to any of the modes available and play at the same time.
EACH Sequencer has its own:

· Grid view and pages

· MIDI channel configuration (up to 8 tracks on different channels)

· CC configuration (up to 8)

· Dedicated keyboard layout, depending on mode

· Number of tracks, depending on mode

· Scale

· Arpeggiator

· Randomizer engine

· Initial and end steps (per track)

· Time signature (per track)

· LFO

· Saving Pattern slot

· Arranger (song mode) track

and probably missing more things that are configurable and unique per sequencer.

After considering this, saying Oxi One having 4 sequencers makes a lot of sense in my opinion.

3 Likes

Does this mean, you can load a whole pattern, which will load the 4 sequencers of that pattern, but you could also then replace one of those sequencers with a sequencer from a different pattern ?

2 Likes

Not only you can load Sequencers from of different pattern slots, there’s no other way to do it :smiley:

You cannot load one pattern that changes all the Sequencers at once, ONLY load a pattern per sequencer, so the 4 active Sequencers are completely pattern independent, they just have that number of slots available. This is an added reason of why they are better called Sequencers, thanks for the reminder.

In this same view you can arrange any of those patterns per Sequencer to the Arranger / Song mode.

5 Likes

I’m sorry, I’m giving up. I’ve re-read this thread 3 times in the last few hours and I can’t find a mental picture that makes consistent sense of all the statements made about sequences, sequencers, patterns, pattern slots and sequencer slots. Maybe, sometime after launch cuckoo will draw one of his conceptual pictures and it will all make sense. I can wait till then.

1 Like

Can’t blame you, this is an ugly part to explain by text. By having 2 minutes with the machine in front of you (or a proper video that’ll come soon) it could be done.
We will have well known reviewers for sure :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Last chance for this topic, I’ll paste what I wrote in another place and then move on (until I come with a video under my arm) :slight_smile:

All the 64 slots can be any mode you want (Mono, Chord…), no need for all the modes in sequencer 2 to be all Mono for the 16 patterns, they will load the sequencer mode whichever it was saved before.

Yes, the limit is 16 patterns per project per sequencer, but by being able of the above, you can say more like having up to 64 patterns, but that’s not the internal structure. Instead, there are 16 pattens so you can give a matrix style co-relation for the different sequencers, it helps to tidy up things. Having 64 patterns is ugly and easy to lose track. This way we have a better layout structure to address more pattens, if you use it in your advantage.
It’s just easier to remember that all the patterns on seq 2 are Mono anyway. It can get as messy as you make it.

All the things in the list I made above that each sequencer has, it’s saved per slot, so you can have different MIDI channel outputs on different saved states for example. The idea is, if you doubt, go with the answer that would give you more freedom :smiley:

4 Likes

It sounds very interesting to me and I’ll keep an eye on it. Is the April date pretty firm or do you expect it to slide?

Thanks

2 Likes

This kind of visual explanation works well for me. When the time comes for this project, if you did something along these lines (or a well-known reviewer like cuckoo did it for you), I for one would be very grateful for it. I’ve linked to the point where the explanation starts, 1:43 ish

1 Like

Here’s an updated render of the I/O.

Yes, the labels are correctly orientated, and it’s final.
Cmon, bring it on! :slight_smile:

This week we will receive the hardware to build what we hope it’ll be the last iteration, with extra cv outs, battery and dedicated power button.

Cheers!

15 Likes

Looks really nice, can’t wait to see a good video walkthrough!

2 Likes

Swooooon!

1 Like

I think the labels for the I/O make sense that way (even if its isn’t what we are used to!)

3 Likes

Very cool. I’m intrigued.

1 Like

Labeling the sequencers 1 through 4 is definitely an improvement over how it was before

2 Likes

Question about export/import functionality … maybe I missed something

How can we import and export projects and pattern?

From the product page we know that there will be a companion app, but it says only that pattern can be exported.

For my workflow it would be important to have an easy and reliable method to archive my projects and upload them to the OXI on demand. I would also like to have an option to import and export single patterns or MIDI tracks (at least basic note information) as “Standard MIDI Files”. Will something like this be implemented?

Thanks for any answers …

1 Like

Months ago the sequencers were fixed, so it made sense. We did a rework on the structure so the user can choose what each sequencer does, which is basic but so powerful. Thinking on the future, we will have new and interesting modes (linked as well :slight_smile: ) released so the machine revalues itself.

1 Like